Make a donation

Author Topic: JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..  (Read 168343 times)

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..
« on: July 23, 2009, 01:16:57 pm »
Hey all..

So thought I would get something started on this one..

Quick background story on the car first of all..

I bought the car new back in 07' and it went through quite a transformation, from a high spec standard car to the first big turbo MKII S3 in the UK, and I think at that point, the world!

Here are a few pics of the transformation, pics speak for themselves..

I then sold the car and pursued the MK5 ED30, building (on a standard turbo) the fastest MK5 GTI in the UK (despite what some people say/claim) The fastest 2.0T FSI powered car in the UK and the the fastest DSG MK5 in the world, and all on the standard K04 turbo..

That was great fun, but really I felt that I wanted a change and when I saw that my old S3 was back up for sale, I jumped at the chance.. Big mistake so it seems...

I collected the car from Leeds (about 60 miles from where I live) and by the time I was home the car was struggling to even run.. Anyways after lots of investigation over the past week it turns out that its melted piston no. 1.. The head is being taken off tomorrow and we should then know what else has happened! Hopefully its just a case of a small hone to that cylinder and drop in some nice new low compression pistons and forged rods and away we go..

So for the next 3 or more weeks the car is going to be off the road, having the engine and turbo kit built..

Here is the spec that im aiming for on the car, this should make a pretty nice car!

Engine

* BSH race turbo kit - Purge welded tubular V-banded manifold
* GT3076R turbo with anti surge comp housing, billet compressor wheel, metal bearing cages, race spec bearings and Tial V-band exhaust housing
* Tial MVS 38mm V-band external wastegate
* Forged rods - non tapered little end
* Low compression Je pistons (yet to decide on bore or CR)
* Coated con rod bearing kit
* ARP 2000 rod bolts
* ARP 2000 head stud kit
* Revo stage 3 software
* N2MB Wot Box - 2-step / flat shift option
* OEM Audi RS4 injectors
* Autotech High pressure fuel pump
* Forge Motorsport remote DV kit
* Forge Motorsport PCV fix / catch can kit
* Forge Motorsport twintercooler kit
* Custom throttle body to intercooler pipe
* Forge Motorsport Twintake kit
* 76mm v-band downpipe
* 38mm v-band dump tube
* 76mm Ti exhaust system
* Full A/C system removed

Chassis

* KW adjustable camber plates
* AST race suspension with custom short springs & helpers
* Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
* KW race anti-roll bar kit
* Poly bushed suspension all round
* Project Mu 6 piston race calipers with 380mm discs
* Project Mu race pads - rear
* Braided front & rear brake lines
* Race brake fluid
* Spec Mini Twin race clutch & Aluminium flywheel
* Race Haldex controller
* VWR Engine mount - Race
* VWR gear box ounts - Race
* VWR billet lower subframe mount - Race
* VF engineering pendulum mount
* Forge Motorsport adjustable quick shift
* Forge Motorsport adjustable side-to-side quick shift
* Force fed engineering solid bushings - Shift cable support bracket
* Custom resin filled shift bushings
* Team dynamics Pro race 1.2 wheels (Powdercoated Red)
* Toyo R888 225/40/18 tyres
* Braille mini battery kit

Interior / Exterior

* Recaro Pole position seats (custom covers)
* Recaro Aluminium side mounts
* Recaro A3/S3 base frame kit
* Lightweight interior
* Custom rear carpet
* OEM optics front grill
* Black mirrors
* Front splitter center section - Satin black
* Rear diffuser section - Satin black
* PIAA 6500k xenon bulbs upgrade
* PIAA 6500k side lights
* Silvervision indicator bulbs all round
* 6500k rear number plate bulbs

And thats about it!! haha.. So quite a list really..

Heres some pics of the turbo kit, I considered the ATP kit, but this will make far more power when its really being pushed, and the Tial v-band stuff is so nice! I want to do this once, and right the first time round! For sure I would be able to do it far cheaper, but this is going to be a no compromise project, and a one of a kind car for a long time to come!

The end goal is 600hp and 1200kg.. That would make for a 500hp/tonne power to weight ratio.. Similarly powered Evo's run 10's no problem, and that is the aim for this car.. 10 second 1/4 mile on STRAIGHT pump fuel, no additives, no nitrous, just fill it up with V-Power and go!

Bare in mind my Golf ran a 12.6 1/4 with 290hp/tonne and FWD.. Yes it was DSG, but you get the idea.. Its not going to hang around!!

Anyways here we go, this should be quite fun! Its going to be at least 3-4 weeks before I get the car back, but by then it should be running the spec above.. My god I cant wait to drive it.. Its going to be amazing!!

- - - - -

Here we go!  :scared:

- - - - -

Engine is all apart now and the true extent of the damage to the piston can be seen, pretty shocking really! Amazing that the damage to the bore was so so light, I mean, you could hardly even feel it.. 0.5mm bore out will remove that no problem and I should be good to go with the 83mm bore pistons..

Damaged piston.. (Not for the faint hearted!!)

Strange thing is that the crown of the piston is ok, this leads me to believe that it was more a lack of oil / sh*tty oil problem rather than pre ignition as surely there would be damage to the crown if this was the case?

Head off..

Engine out ready to be stripped down..

Old pistons and rods.. (All the rods look in top condition, amazingly the bearings are all in perfect condition too)

Crank.. (Again, no damage..)

Valve train..

Intake valve.. (all of them look like this, because of the recirculating PCV system, just shows how important it is to run a catch can with this engine)

Block and head ready for machining..

Lots of bits..

The engine should be back from the machine shop Thursday and be fully built up with the new parts by the end of the week.. So thats good news..

One thing that was pretty amazing was the weight difference between the Supertech valves and the standard items.. Huge difference, ill get a figure to compare but a lightweight valve train can only be a good thing..

Also the new rods and pistons are a lot lighter than the old items, this should make the engine really free revving.. Combined with the new lightweight clutch and flywheel im estimating around 8kg off rotating mass to be saved..

Im hoping that the parts from the US should be with me within a week but you can never tell with customs!

Anyways im feeling a lot better about it all now, before it was all doom and gloom, everything that was discovered seemed to be a big negative but now its on the way to recovery..

While the car has been up in the air we have also had a chance to plan some nice chassis bits that should really help out the some what wooly handling of the S3 compared to the Golf.. Everything is on the way so fingers crossed the bits get to me from BSH and I can get the car back on the road soon..

- - - - -

So!! The block is back, re-bored to 83mm for the new pistons, and everything is perfect, luckily enough the 0.25mm on the bore wall was enough to remove any damage from the piston.. In fact, the machine shop said that a heavy hone would have been enough, I think if it was going to be running standard power then yeah.. But with the plans that I have for the car immediately and in the long term, I want to make sure that this engine will be able to take everything that I throw at it!!

The engine will be getting built up starting next week, and shouldn't take long to complete, I should have lots of pictures of the build up to post soon!

Then its just a case of waiting for the parts from the states to arrive..

Thought I would post up a few more images of the turbo kit that BSH have just released.. (part of my kit is on that table I believe)

Can't wait to see this stuff on the car! Looks like amazing work!!

Plan is to run the car in for a week or so gently, drop the oil and see how everything is looking then go down to Revo and see what it will make! Limit is going to be the stock in tank fueling system at the moment but there are lots of things in the pipe line to sort that out!

On straight 93 octane (98 euro equivalent) guys in the states have got to around 450WHP on the stock fueling system with RS4 injectors before its maxed out, so thats what Ill be aiming for as a first shot.. Thats around 525hp at the crank.. Even with that power its going to be a very quick car!

- - - - -

All things are coming along nicely, the turbo kit from BSH is being send tomorrow, and should be with me (fingers crossed) by early next week.. There has been a hold up due to a few adjustments I wanted making to aid the fitting and performance of the kit..

Couple of annoying things have been found, not going to make any difference to the build but just pisses me off how people can neglect a car so badly..

This is the oil filter

And the sump..

Notice the gunge that is coming out of the filter, and the sh*t that is sat in the sump! This is after being flushed out, the stuff you can see is residual gunk that has been dislodged! Its almost the consistency of tar, just shows that there is no way the car has been regularly serviced as suggested by myself..

Luckily all of the bearings on the crank and oil pump look mint!

The only damage is some wear on the oil pump chain tensioner, so that will also be changed..

The oil and water gallerys were in perfect condition with no metal particles or blockages.. The oil pump is in perfect condition. Im having the oil cooler changed out of precaution as there is a super fine matrix inside which could easily hold metal particles.. Better to be safe than sorry really, especially as the whole engine is going to be basically new!

Good points!!

Engine is coming along nicely, block is built up with the new pistons / rods and crank and the head is back from being skimmed tomorrow and will be fitted with the new Supertech valve train parts hopefully by the end of the day!

Heres some pics..

New piston and rod combo

Clean..

Machined block.. 0.5mm overbore

Built bottom end..

So coming along pretty well, engine and all ancillaries will be built up tomorrow so that the engine is sealed and can be wheeled in and out of the engine compartment of the car when testing the fit of the turbo kit!

Im really hoping that I should have the car back on the road for running in for my birthday which is the 24th! Will be a nice present from me to me!! haha..

- - - - -

So lots of things are happening pretty quickly now, coming along really well..

First of all this little thing arrived yesterday!! Thanks to Neil and Ollie at THS..

Core is rated to 600hp so should be up to the job!!!

First of all the engine build.. Parts are all here now and the head is all built up. Ported and polished and fitted with the new Supertech parts!

Head back from being skimmed, 30 microns were removed, so not much.. At this point the internals of the head had not had any attention!

Before..

About an 1/8 of an inch of build up!! Crazy really..

After..

Check out the inlet ports!!

Before..

And after, you can see a small difference!!

Everyone that has seen the state of the inside of this engine has been shocked. Its got nothing to do with the piston problem that I had. This is just how the 2.0T FSI runs with the stock PCV system, pretty nasty really!!

More bits, stretch bolts, seals, gaskets etc etc etc.. Now the bottom end is all built up, oil pump is back on, everything cleaned up and a new filter!!

Happy about all of the progress on the engine build! Nothing is being left to chance so everything is being replaced.. Not the cheapest way of doing things but I know for sure that im giving the engine the best chance possible of lasting and being strong enough to cope with the power.

Final spec of the engine is as follows..

* Head skim
* Block re-bore & hone to 83MM
* Integrated engineering non-tapered 2.0T FSI connecting rods
* JE 83MM bore 8.5:1 compression forged pistons
* JE pistons rings
* ARP 2000 rod bolts
* Calico coated rod bearings
* Ported and polished inlet / exhaust head
* Supertech stock size inlet and exhaust inconel valves

Turbo is on its way from the states now.. Should have some pics from BSH and a video of there 450WHP GTI running pretty soon.. Apparently the dump tube sounds incredible!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 03:41:06 pm by jonnyc »
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
Re: JonnyC's Audi S3 Project..
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:30:10 pm »
I think im as excited as you are!!

So is the S3 going to be for track days and shows keeping the ED30 for a daily?

Good luck mate sounds awesome!! :drinking:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:32:19 pm »
wow....looking forward to this.  :rolleye: :rolleye: :jumpmove: :jumpmove:    shame about the initial set back, but im sure that will be soon forgotten about! ;)

Offline Cooper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 01:35:55 pm »
Whoa!

This is going to be epic :rolleye:
C63
SQ5

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 01:47:25 pm »
Looking forward to this Jonny  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 01:51:49 pm »
All I can say is....  :notworthy:
So looking forward to this - sounds like your car is going to be ready before Andy's is up and running again!

matt a

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 01:53:51 pm »
Loved this S3 the first time around. Please don't get bored of it again though.  :happy2:

Offline Strat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 01:58:53 pm »
I rate those Team Dynamics wheels!

Do they only come in 18" or can you get 19s ?
Candy

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 02:12:14 pm »
Hold on tight everyone...this is gonna be some motor :popcornsoda:
Golf R gone.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 02:21:42 pm »
i want!!

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 02:28:49 pm »
sounds good, why have you gone for the VF pendullum mount rather than the BSH one?
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 02:33:40 pm »
I think im as excited as you are!!

So is the S3 going to be for track days and shows keeping the ED30 for a daily?

Good luck mate sounds awesome!! :drinking:

Pretty much. I was looking at an R8 or TT-RS, GT3 etc etc.. But I think this is a better way to go! Anyways, a 600hp hatch is way cooler (and faster) than a 400 or 500hp supercar  :wink:

I rate those Team Dynamics wheels!

Do they only come in 18" or can you get 19s ?

18's are the largest size, there designed to be light weight..

sounds good, why have you gone for the VF pendullum mount rather than the BSH one?

Hmm. no reason really.. Apart from that is what I have been using on the last couple of cars and I have been very pleased with it..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 02:35:36 pm »
 Anyways, a 600hp hatch is way cooler (and faster) than a 400 or 500hp supercar 

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 02:37:11 pm »
This is some spec of car when finished. 500BHP and your really shifting, 600BHP and your flying. You will defo need to respect what is at your right foot when out on the open road.
Best of luck with this project Jonny

Iain
2006 MKV GTI, DSG, Stg2 Revo map, VWR front splitter, KWv3's, Eibach rollbars, Walk kit, Carbonio induction kit, Full Milltek exhaust system, Forge FMIC

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 02:38:09 pm »
 :party: :jumping: :jumpmove: :rolleye: :notworthy:

Think that sums up how I feel about this project.

*Shotgun*
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633