Make a donation

Author Topic: A couple of issues  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
A couple of issues
« on: March 21, 2013, 05:16:19 pm »

Hi all

I picked up a GTi for the Mrs the other week. I've had the cambelt and water pump done as well as an oil service. Having seen a number of posts on here about cam followers, I will also be doing that shortly.

I own a Golf Mk6 TDi and have noticed the boot release badge on the GTi is really slow to close, unlike on the Mk6 it pretty much snaps shut. Is there something I can do to change it? I've also noticed the boot struts aren't that smooth. Any recommendations?

More worryingly I was out cleaning and claying the car earlier when I went to open the rear passenger door. The handle didn't seem to feel right and on closer inspection I can basically pull it apart and pull out what I'd assume is the lock?

See pics below. How could this have happened and any ideas on what's required to fix it?

Cheers

Offline dokez

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: A couple of issues
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 05:29:54 pm »
Theres a screw on the in side of the door that holds that part in.

Offline Jonny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 14
  • G7R Owner
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45008.0.html
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 05:32:09 pm »
The boot release on the mk5 are supposed to be a slow close, when vw made the mk6, they cut costs on the boot release so that's why it snaps shut :P You can always get your wifes car a new mk6 badge at a cost of around £80-90  :happy2:

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 05:44:11 pm »

Okay, thats good to hear I was a bit concerned that someone might have tried to break into the car at some point. Would I see the screw looking in from the outside or do I need to take the door card off?

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 05:45:24 pm »
The boot release on the mk5 are supposed to be a slow close, when vw made the mk6, they cut costs on the boot release so that's why it snaps shut :P You can always get your wifes car a new mk6 badge at a cost of around £80-90  :happy2:

Thanks for this. My Mum has a Mk5 Tdi and the boot release on that seems to snap as well. Maybe its a GTi thing!?

Offline dokez

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 05:50:39 pm »

Okay, thats good to hear I was a bit concerned that someone might have tried to break into the car at some point. Would I see the screw looking in from the outside or do I need to take the door card off?

As soon as you open the door, look on the side of the door (in line with the handle).   Should be a torx or a crosshead iirc.

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 06:32:28 pm »

Thanks for this. My Mum has a Mk5 Tdi and the boot release on that seems to snap as well. Maybe its a GTi thing!?

It's only the early MK5 badges that had the slow close. They changed it to the snap close quite soon with the 3D style Mk5 badge. Mk6 badges are much the same but with a nicer bevelled style lettering.
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 07:08:41 pm »

As soon as you open the door, look on the side of the door (in line with the handle).   Should be a torx or a crosshead iirc.

I loosened off the torx bolt which was tight. The piece of the handle doesn't get any tighter when I tightened the bolt. I'm wondering if something has broken on the mechanism. I might have to pay a trip to a stealer.

Offline dokez

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 07:19:09 am »
It will be broken then on the blue cap. Just remember to have the screw half un screwed and not all the way out before putting the new 1 in. Then as you goto tighten it, it locks it in.

Offline brookesb32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 09:13:03 pm »
Its not a gti thing - same across the range. cost cutting really as homesqueeze mentioned. Original mk5 smooth (whiteworm prone) handles were slow close and the 3D mk5 handles made in 2006 were also slow close and then they just got faster after that - like trying to catch your hand  :signLOL:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:14:41 pm by brookesb32 »
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 06:28:18 pm »
Lock barrel blank is held in by a metal locking cage.  Going from the pic it looks like the cage has dropped down.  You will need to remove the outer door skin to see whats really up with it.  Matto on here has done a nice how to on removing the skin.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 11:11:51 am »

I removed the door skin the other week and sorted out the door handle.

I think the previous owner had managed to lock their keys in the car and the AA had broken into it. There was a bill of £600+ in the service history to replace the door mechanism and the handle on that side and I can only assume it hadn't been put back together properly. 

There's a circular cage that when screwed in, revolves round to keep the barrel in place tightly. It took a bit of time to understand how it should work (and a trip to the local dealership who didn't have a clue), but then it all came together.

The car is going in for an A/C service and I'll do the cam follower in the next month. I'm also going to get a DA polisher to sort out the paint work. I've already clayed, polished and sealed it, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist with paintwork so the DA should take care of that.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 09:46:34 pm »
bugger aint it when that cage drops off... then I figured you have to hold the handle open before screwing the torx in...  :ashamed: ttok me several attemps...

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 09:48:49 pm »
bugger aint it when that cage drops off... then I figured you have to hold the handle open before screwing the torx in...  :ashamed: ttok me several attemps...