Make a donation

Author Topic: Jay's Jolf "GTI"... with a 1.9.. and 221bhp.  (Read 51122 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=64pe5roti6ngkann3v69gkuab4&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Jay's Jolf "GTI"... with a 1.9..
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2013, 12:58:41 pm »
So you didnt buy that pre-painted one then?

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2013, 01:31:26 pm »
I did, he broke it while removing it so he kindly refunded me and I bought a plain jane one that I'll get painted myself.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=64pe5roti6ngkann3v69gkuab4&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2013, 01:33:44 pm »
Drat!!!

Just make sure its smoothed properly otherwise it will look kak-a-la-ka!  :grin:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2013, 01:49:58 pm »
Lol don't tempt fate Rich!!! I will make sure the bodyshop do it properly or I will ask them if me sanding it myself will help.  :chicken:

Offline Jonny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 14
  • G7R Owner
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45008.0.html
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2013, 02:11:36 pm »
I did, he broke it while removing it so he kindly refunded me and I bought a plain jane one that I'll get painted myself.

Ha don't remind me, I'm driving around with a snapped back end until I get the cash for the exhaust :-P

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 6
  • If in doubt.. flat out
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2013, 09:40:26 pm »
im quite happy with my insurance this year 2.0 gt tdi 180 bhp everything decalred £490 fully comp with aviva

how old are you if you dont mind me asking?!

im 22, 4 years no claims always helps. Thats with protected no claims as well.
My progress thread www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,66117.0.html
Mods done: revo map, new south boost gauge, rcd510 dab, gti grill, gti colour coded valance, tinted lights, leds, gti spoiler

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • If in doubt.. flat out
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2013, 09:43:05 pm »
This should be a nice touch i have done the same to the rear of mine. still wish i had the edition 30 rear though.

keep us updated with the pics  :happy2:
Mods done: revo map, new south boost gauge, rcd510 dab, gti grill, gti colour coded valance, tinted lights, leds, gti spoiler

Offline jack_maxwell

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2013, 10:48:08 pm »
Thinking of selling the wheels anytime soon?  :grin:  :wink:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2013, 12:42:32 am »

Ha don't remind me, I'm driving around with a snapped back end until I get the cash for the exhaust :-P

Lol it's alright bro, I appreciated the honesty, it's hard enough to find a nice easy person to deal with as it is.  :happy2:

This should be a nice touch i have done the same to the rear of mine. still wish i had the edition 30 rear though.

keep us updated with the pics  :happy2:

Cheers man
Yeah Edition 30 rear would be nice but it's costs vs looks. I was originally going for an R32 rear however that went a bit pear shaped when I actually thought I could afford it when I couldn't, the cost of the pipes would basically make it £500, the same as an Edition 30 rear..

Thinking of selling the wheels anytime soon?  :grin:  :wink:

Depends if I had another set... which is on the cards but the wheels I'm saving for are £1200, then the £500 for some decent rubber on top, so might be a while...  :signLOL::jumping:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:49:28 am by xjay1337 »

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2013, 10:37:15 pm »
On the strip today at Santa Pod.

I think the best time I managed was a 15.4 or a 15.6, I found it really hard to launch, 2750 rpm and it would bog, 3000 rpm and it would wheelspin into oblivion.. Petrols are much more forgiving. Considering the track and conditions I am pretty happy with the times.

I was happy to go all day unfortunately my gearbox wasn't.

Also in the car park at Santa Pod..

I now have a nice hole in the back of my gearbox where the diff deciding to sh*t it's loins out. Luckily it was out the back rather than into the clutch case so a near gearbox and we'll be rolling again.. Left the Pod at 3 to be towed to a local petrol station to avoid any odd questions, got home about 15-20 minutes ago.

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2013, 10:47:39 pm »
Nice one jay! I didn't see it run but it did look quick down the M1. Shame the car gave in.. But it happens as you know all too well.

I did wonder if / what time you made it back. Glad your alright and in good spirits :)

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • If in doubt.. flat out
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2013, 11:32:59 pm »
On the strip today at Santa Pod.

I think the best time I managed was a 15.4 or a 15.6, I found it really hard to launch, 2750 rpm and it would bog, 3000 rpm and it would wheelspin into oblivion.. Petrols are much more forgiving. Considering the track and conditions I am pretty happy with the times.

Also in the car park at Santa Pod..

I now have a nice hole in the back of my gearbox where the diff deciding to sh*t it's loins out. Luckily it was out the back rather than into the clutch case so a near gearbox and we'll be rolling again.. Left the Pod at 3 to be towed to a local petrol station to avoid any odd questions, got home about 15-20 minutes ago.

darn what did i miss at the pod today? was it just a run what you brung day?

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2013, 03:43:12 am »
Love that, straight home, straight on to the forum!

Looks so good on the strip  :congrats: not bad times at all, especialy for a derv  :P

i forgot, what suspension set up have you got? perfect ride height  :love:

Sorry to hear about the gearbox, you can replace with the same or find something stronger?

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2013, 07:57:21 am »

darn what did i miss at the pod today? was it just a run what you brung day?

It was at GTI Springfest show at Santa pod!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2013, 08:34:03 am »
Love that, straight home, straight on to the forum!

Looks so good on the strip  :congrats: not bad times at all, especialy for a derv  :P

i forgot, what suspension set up have you got? perfect ride height  :love:

Sorry to hear about the gearbox, you can replace with the same or find something stronger?

Well no point in whining about it, I felt pretty bad yesterday but when I got home then it was alright.. I was only waiting from about 3pm till 7:30 for the recovery truck...
Cheers for the kind words, and I have JOM coilovers. I wish it went another 10mm lower on the front but they are wound all the way down unfortunately. I would replace with some Apex RDX but I'm looking to get air ride after I've paid off the credit card at the end of the year.

I am looking into my options for a gearbox replacement - I can get a recon box with a 12 month warranty for £600 - Or ideally buy a lower mileage box (30-60k for around £400) - The upgrade I need is a 6 speed conversion from the 2.0 TDI - With driveshafts, starter, shift linkages and a new clutch kit, the parts for the 6 speed conversion only come to around £700, but the clutch to take the power I'm running would be another £800 on top of that...

I'm speaking to Darkside to see how much it would be to LSD my 5 speed with an uprated internal bolt kit, if that is around £700-800 then I would just do that.

Either way I can luckily afford to buy another gearbox with my salary when I get paid on the 26th.

I will just be detailing the car at evenings and weekends now to keep the love alive.