Make a donation

Author Topic: fitting springs? do you really need a special tool?  (Read 1499 times)

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 6
  • If in doubt.. flat out
fitting springs? do you really need a special tool?
« on: April 15, 2013, 10:11:50 pm »
Hi
so i am planning on fitting my springs one evening to my gt tdi. I have fitted springs before so this shouldnt be too much of a problem. I was just looking at a few guides to make sure i have the correct tools and the only thing i seem to be missing is a strut spreader tool. can you do this without it? Can i use something else to spread it? maybe an allen key or flat head?

thanks in advance  :happy2:
My progress thread www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,66117.0.html
Mods done: revo map, new south boost gauge, rcd510 dab, gti grill, gti colour coded valance, tinted lights, leds, gti spoiler

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
Re: fitting springs? do you really need a special tool?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 10:18:52 pm »
Yeh you can use something else but be careful not to damage the hub. I used some form of wedge the very first time, while trying to twist it and drop the strut in  :mad:
Getting the strut in can be a right pain and I found the spreader definitely helps.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Neiltdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 8
  • Full Hex+CAN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 10:22:50 pm »
Copper slip grease on the strutt body where it slides in the hub and a copper hammer and its easy , i took the hub off when i did mine and it made the job loads easier
Full Hex+CAN in Hampshire.

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • If in doubt.. flat out
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 10:31:11 pm »
Copper slip grease on the strutt body where it slides in the hub and a copper hammer and its easy , i took the hub off when i did mine and it made the job loads easier

cheers i am planning on soaking it with penetrating fluid before i start work anyway so by the time it comes to taking it off it shouldnt be too tight.
Mods done: revo map, new south boost gauge, rcd510 dab, gti grill, gti colour coded valance, tinted lights, leds, gti spoiler

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • If in doubt.. flat out
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:32:31 pm »
Yeh you can use something else but be careful not to damage the hub. I used some form of wedge the very first time, while trying to twist it and drop the strut in  :mad:
Getting the strut in can be a right pain and I found the spreader definitely helps.

Yh i thought something else would do the job my biggest worry is damaging the hub. I will have a play after work and see how i get on. If need be i will go and get the special tool.

thanks for the advice

Offline stubert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:52:55 am »
Just take the whole strut and hub off the car.  Much easier than faffing around making home made tools or using the dodgy bottle jack technique.  I changed for VWR springs last month.  I'd advise getting new top mount bolts (one of mine stripped the top mount so had to be cut out) and new hub bolts if you are going to remove the hub.  Hub bolts were £3.50ish and the top mount bolts about 30p each iirc.  I reckon I could strip the hub off the golf in about 30 minutes now.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 10:09:16 pm »
Just take the whole strut and hub off the car.  Much easier than faffing around making home made tools or using the dodgy bottle jack technique.  I changed for VWR springs last month.  I'd advise getting new top mount bolts (one of mine stripped the top mount so had to be cut out) and new hub bolts if you are going to remove the hub.  Hub bolts were £3.50ish and the top mount bolts about 30p each iirc.  I reckon I could strip the hub off the golf in about 30 minutes now.

I had to take the whole hub off, couldn't get enough clearance to lift the strut out in the wheel arch  :sad1:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr