Make a donation

Author Topic: HELP - Bloody cars!!  (Read 2381 times)

Offline mortygttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
Re: HELP - Bloody cars!!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 11:02:18 pm »
Cheers Andy been busy lately :happy2:

Johhny the only way to get to the pipe on the turbo safely is with the car in the air, I wouldn't go that far under with it on ramps either, better with a poster lift.

When your under the car looking from back to front of engine its on the right near at the back small black rubber pipe maybe 60-70mm in diameter one side should be on the turbo the other side should be on a long silver metal pipe that is bolted to the engine mount??

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 11:18:53 pm »
Buddy the intercooler pipe is very easy to follow.. it's big and black and plastic.. Basically you can follow it from the EGR down and around to the front of the engine on the passenger side, through the intercooler, out the other side, and it will go back and up to the turbo. You can inspect with just a jack/ramps but I wouldn't go poking around as it's pretty awkward.

The lower IC pipes are really easy to check, just undo the undertray and you'll see two silicone pipes either side..

For example here is the one on the passenger side, mine infact when it popped off.

Drivers side one is similar and doesn't suffer quite as badly but still...

Boost hoses, with the rubber seals and new clips are around £60 a side.

Nearly every time it's the intercooler hoses that leak, I'm pushing over 30psi through my stock pipework so far and every single pipe is fine apart from the ones at the IC - That's where it will be leaking if it is.
otherwise it could be a faulty turbo..they are not that expensive all things considered especially if you look around..£300-£400 you can pick them up for, or have your existing one re-built if necessary.

If you have a boost leak you will notice a lack of performance.. I would probably avoid driving the car much/hard.. depending on what the problem is, if your turbo is damaged it might let go and ingest bits of metal into your engine (not good) or depending on if you have a boost leak, the car might see a lack of boost and try to compensate for it (making the turbo work harder than it actually has to).

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 07:13:20 am »
Having. Trouble getting. This bonnet open. Any tips please? Does to front badge just pull out?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline detailer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • I like things shiney
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 07:34:05 am »
I am sure you can turn the front badge anti clockwise slightly and it will come off the badge. Not sure it's going to help you gain access to open to thou mate. Where u located?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 09:31:24 pm »
Thank you for the info. I managed to get in/under the car and found the pipe had a small split in it.  If you look at the above pic - it was the pipe on the other side that had gone.

Got one today £75 < have I been done :( ?

Still not joy with the bonnet - anyone got any tips please? I'm in Birmingham
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 09:18:37 am »
good to see  you found the trouble with your car,

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 09:55:35 am »

Got one today £75 < have I been done :( ?

No.
If your bonnet won't open then you're kind of screwed, you'll need to pry the mechanism through the grill..unfortunately the grill is kind of in the way. Normally you need to break the grill to get in. You could possibly get up between the block and the rad packs from underneath but it's awkward..

Unless you're very unlucky it wouldn't just break it would get worse over time, normally they get corroded. A good clean out and re-grease would keep it in check.