Make a donation

Author Topic: Sambo's tornado red GTI  (Read 2954 times)

Offline sambo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Sambo's tornado red GTI
« on: August 02, 2009, 04:37:12 pm »
Fairly new here, been lurking for a few months asking questions. Bought my early GTi last month after looking for a few months.

Standard spec: 3 door, tornado red, leather, xenons, mfd2, folding mirrors, highline.

How I bought it:

Driving home I soon realised it wasn't as nippy as it should be. It was the first mk5 gti I had driven, but coming from a mk4 gti with 221bhp I knew it wasn't 200bhp. Also the idle was irratic.Luckily I have a close friend who is a VW master tech, so the folowing week it was scanned with there laptop computer. A few faults came up, one pointing towards the PCV valve.

Also as it was a very early car there was a note about the air filter being the incorrect shape to fit the housing. I also knew the standard DV wasn't up to much so bought the upgraded TSi version. The PCV valve was fitted a couple of day's later which didn't fix the fault. A few days later the air filter and DV were fitted and we were cooking on gas!  :jumpmove: Car now pull's well athough still not like the old mk4 did. Bluefin will be added when funds permit.

Last week the car went into the bodyshop as the were quite a few nasty stonechips on the bonnet. At the same time I bought an ED30 front splitter and asked for the skirts and rear to be smoothed and painted, with the grill, and lower sections of both bumpers to be painted satin black.

Here is the result:

Next on the list of mod's is wheel's as the mozas really don't do it much justice. After this I need a set of r32 rear lights, maybe a small drop and then the bluefin  :pomppomp:

Thats it for now, will try and keep it this updated as I go.

Cheers, Sam   :booty:

]

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: Sambo's tornado red GTI
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 05:21:59 pm »
Looks nice Sam. Currently selling my Pescaras to go for something bigger too. Would like to get my hands on a rear Ed30 bumper and front valance and skirts in Diamond Black as a contrast to the Steel Grey. Also want to get some R32/Ed30 rear lights for mine.

Good progress!!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 05:30:23 pm »
Great start to your journey down the slope.  :star:

Looking good.  :happy2:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 05:38:02 pm »
How did you get folding mirrors Sam, didn't think it was a factory option? Aren't they OEM?
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline sambo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 05:50:44 pm »
Yer factory option mate  :happy2: also auto dimming along with the rear view. I think it all came in a pack (lux pack or similar)

Wheel wise i'm heading towards some 19" LM's (anyone good at photoshop? ) although topcat those works wheels look  :jumping: may go for the r32 rear at some point too. Also may do the wing mirro covers satin black in the not so distant future.

Cheers all, Sam  :jumpmove:
]

Offline davoaj

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 06:08:18 pm »
You've definately convinced me to do the rear on mine mate, as I said over on the other forum.

Looking good, wheels will really make a difference too. LM's on a red GTI will look sweeeet!

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 06:11:38 pm »
Looks lovely matey, wheels and a drop would finish it off nicely  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline sambo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 06:19:16 pm »
What sort of drop will get the wheel's just sat nicely in the arch? The old mk4 was on coilovers and as much as I liked the look, the ride was one of the main reasons I decided to change to a newer car. I don't want to ruin the comfort factor of this one if I can help it, also it's nice to be able to go over speed bumps in second gear or above!  :scared:

Handling wise it's pretty good, but feels quite heavy on the corners with a bit of body roll.

If I get LM's the centre's will be going satin black too :party: should contrast nicely with the polished lips (I hope)

Sam
]

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 07:05:29 pm »
What sort of drop will get the wheel's just sat nicely in the arch? The old mk4 was on coilovers and as much as I liked the look, the ride was one of the main reasons I decided to change to a newer car. I don't want to ruin the comfort factor of this one if I can help it, also it's nice to be able to go over speed bumps in second gear or above!  :scared:

Handling wise it's pretty good, but feels quite heavy on the corners with a bit of body roll.

If I get LM's the centre's will be going satin black too :party: should contrast nicely with the polished lips (I hope)

Sam

You cant get LMs in the right offset for the Mk5 sadly. Its what im also going for, but im going for some replicas from eBay.

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 07:05:38 pm »
looks good sam :happy2:

I noticed you seem to be missing some honey combe in your fogs, although looking at the later picture it seems to be symmetrical??

TR look soo good when they are clean!!  

Offline sambo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 07:45:52 pm »
Cheers  :happy2:

Yep it's supposed to be there, for what reason I don't know though  :stupid: my mate suggested maybe some kind of brake cooling. Whatever it was obviously didn't work though as they quickly scrapped that idea and started making them with no holes!
May swap them to the open one's at some point.

Deako, yer I had read about the LM's not being available in the correct size. To be honest I was going to buy the rep's anyway, from what i've heard there not bad quality, not sure how well I could get the centres painted though as they won't split.  :fighting2:

Cheers, Sam
]