Make a donation

Author Topic: Standard MK5 GTi - Lets see what we can do......  (Read 4228 times)

Offline bennibGTI07

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Standard MK5 GTi - Lets see what we can do......
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:23:09 pm »
Hi all.

Im new to this site. I set up a build thread of another Golf i picked up early last week. Massive problems to include, moisture in the engine along with alot of other things having drove it around for 1 whole day. So returned it to the dealer thank god and picked up another after a long train journey with 3 changes and a long drive back in the snow this Friday.

I thought id start here as theres been some amazing build posts and planning on making quite a few mods to mine. £'s permitting of course.

Heres the baby as it stands. It is Black but been wrapped 6 months ago, This will be coming off over the next week or 2.

Does look like shes a little front heavy here.....

Well there she is.

Next week ive got her booked in for a Full Turbo back miltek exhaust high flow Cat and Map from Gaz at Avon Tuning.

Im on the prowl for some coilovers, Wanna drop her about 25-30mm

With massive thanks to Redrobin for the review on Forges Twintake, Ive done alot of research on them. As mine is a standard GTi not Ed30 is this the best on the market,Wanting the perfect mix of sound vs power, i have seen it can create gains of around 15bhp but im still quite open if any one has any different ideas.

Also if any one can recommend a good car wrapping company in the uk preferably as high up as Birmingham down throughout the south of the UK. After seeing greeners Matt Black ED30 this makes it extreamly tempting to go along the same lines.....

Any way enough of me for now il update weekly with any progress made.
One way to Fly, In a Golf GTi

Offline itsmeGAV

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Standard MK5 GTi - Lets see what we can do......
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 11:01:58 pm »
Looks all wrong with the little bits which haven't been wrapped, but it's your car mate, sounds like a decent base.
Shame about the previous GTi..

Offline Trev.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:03:20 am »
Thank god your taking the wrap off

Offline mart.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:59:43 pm »
Shame about the 1st one, but at least you managed to get it sorted. Onwards and upwards with this one!

Offline bennibGTI07

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 12:03:23 pm »
Hi Guys.

Not much to report over the bank holiday weekend apart from alot of :drinking: not knowing how i got home Sunday evening althought being told we walked 3 1/2 miles. But thats another story

Before i put the pics of the wrap taken off i bought a pretty cool kit, which most o you might find a little chavvy but a blue led kit to replace all bulbs within the cab. Makes a huge difference looks a little cooler. Theyre not on all the time only when the doors open or turn lights on etc. judge it how you will but i like the difference from the sad orangy tinge lighting for the footwells etc

Footwell only

This is the footwell and the 3 roof panel lights, extreamly bright but they rarley come one. massive difference to OEM

I did muster up the courrage to see what was under the white wrap. Thankfully no nasty suprises which i was assured off the guy i got her from. But ive added a few pictures of my hungover monday work. It took a total of  6 Hours in pretty cold weather with just my hands and a hair dryer. Came off pretty well to be honest left no residue or anything.

Well thats it for now. I have pulled my finger out and bought some lowering springs, which will tie me over untill i find some nice coilovers, i dont wanna drop too much heard Eibach springs suit best for around a 30mm drop without too much compromise on ride quality.

Big break kit is in the pipe line trying to find the right set, along with some new shoes il be getting over the weekend. Im in 2 minds tho weather to go stealthy with a set of black rims of Gun metal grey, looking for a 18" multi spoke which will show off the big break kit behind.

Pictures to follow at the weekend. Thanks for looking and all abuse is welcome  :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 12:34:49 pm »
Eibach Sportline are OK but I found my coilovers more comfortable.
Seems nice and clean buddy and a good base to start modding. Not a fan of the bright blue interior LEDs but hey, each to their own.

Offline chrisr763

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 12:40:59 pm »
Looks super  :happy2: I would love a white GTI and i Guess so did the previous owner  :grin:

Is the spoiler & wing mirrors wrapped too?

Offline patpong_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 11:44:32 pm »
looking good
may i ask where you got the blue led kit to replace all bulbs within the cab ?

thanks for reply

Offline kahunajb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:19:22 am »
Looks massively better now back to black.
05 Laser Blue Mk5 GTI - Revo Stage 1

Offline bennibGTI07

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 11:35:02 am »
I picked the LEDs up off Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310376202643?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

These are the ones a bought theres 11 in total, they do all sorts of colors was gonna go for white but fancied something bit different as white is too in your face.

Offline bennibGTI07

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 08:05:11 pm »
Right so it's been while I been a little busy with work etc. below are few things done.

Picked up,some new shoes last week

Also just painted the calipers blue until I can get myself a big brake kit.

While I was kneeing with the blue paint. Made a slight alteration to the standard red gti strip on the bonnet nothing special very subtle

Offline bennibGTI07

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 08:14:30 pm »
Had myself a busy today after a long long time getting annoyed I was loosing boost realised by diverted valve had gone. One trying to pick one of these up another term recirculation valve. Didn't get much joy with manufactures etc. so out with the old 

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b530/benbuffery/image_zps101e2a48.jpg[/img]

You can see the massive difference in quality. If I knew it was that ask to change I would have a long time ago before It even went I picked it up for £40 from GSF car parts local nice and easy.

As well as tinkering around under the car I took her over to infinity exhaust today where they fitted a custom turbo back exhaust with high flow 200cel sports car. Sounds an absolute peach and with the valve change really drive like it should.

Here's the guys in action

I know some might not like but I went for 3" twin exit to make it look almost standard. And I know I've got a new rear end coming next week. Pictures to follow.

Cheers

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
  • If in doubt.. flat out
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 09:40:09 pm »
That looks much better  :happy2:
My progress thread www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,66117.0.html
Mods done: revo map, new south boost gauge, rcd510 dab, gti grill, gti colour coded valance, tinted lights, leds, gti spoiler