Make a donation

Author Topic: Tomble22's Steel Grey GTI  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Tomble22

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
Tomble22's Steel Grey GTI
« on: October 19, 2015, 09:41:46 am »
Hi all,

As per my New Members thread i picked up my new GTI on Saturday 10 October.

It’s a 2005 plate in steel grey, standard spec all round and needs a bit of tidying here and there but managed to get a bit off it so quite pleased.

It’s done 87,000 miles but has had a new clutch and flywheel last year and cambelt and water pump beginning of this year so that’s the big things out of the way. Drives really well too. Garage I’m buying it from are fitting 4 new tyres, service, cleaning up the headlights (fogged up) and provide a 6 month warranty and 12 months mot too.

Wheels were in a sorry state so booked them in to be powdercoated last week. Now in shiny gloss black!

Fitted a new battery and a Pipercross filter on Saturday before i took her for a remap. Unfortunately the power figures were not where i wanted but have ordered a new DV (Revision G) to hopefully sort out the boost leak problem.

Bought some bits and bobs to renew the keys which were looking tired, some new VW badges, a genuine "Turbo" key case (the GTI ones are too expensive!!) and a nice VW keyring.

Also bought a steering wheel refurb kit which i started on yesterday. Works an absolute treat, managed to the gearknob and half the steering wheel but looks fantastic, will get some pictures up later.

Also gave her a good clean yesterday....anyhow, some pictures!!

Cheers for now!!

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 14
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100145.msg983012.html#msg983012
Re: Tomble22's Steel Grey GTI
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 08:40:27 pm »
More photos man! Rather tidy looking motor  :happy2:

Offline Tomble22

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 11:50:45 am »
Thanks @Martk19871 ....Definetly need some more pictures, it's just finding time when it's dark @ 6pm now, dark evenings are not good for modding!!

Ordered my Rev G Diverter Valve yesterday so will be fitting that at the weekend....hoping for a good result and some more power!! My remap is currently in sleep mode!!

Offline Tomble22

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 09:46:27 pm »
Managed to skip off work a little early today so thought I'd try and get my new Revision G Diverter Valve fitted to see if it solved my low power/boost problem. The shiny new part turned up yesterday!!

Got started when i got home and managed to get in underneath without taking the wheel off. Trickiest part was trying to unclip the power lead tbh!!

Got the old one off (it was a revision B??) and thankfully it was absolutely shot!!

Took it out for a spin afterwards and it's a completely different animal, absolutely amazed such a small part could make such a difference actually!!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 09:48:38 pm »
Looks good Tom..what else mods you got planned

Offline Tomble22

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 09:52:46 pm »
Cheers Andy.

Not a huge amount planned for the next few months with Christmas coming up. Going to order new window, light switches etc next and get them tidied up. Going to concentrate on cleaning everything up both inside and outside, need to get some genuine mats too!!

Next major mods will be some Eibach springs and i like the idea of a Powervalve exhaust, noisy when you want it to be!!

Will get some pictures up of the steering wheel repair tomorrow, really pleased with the kit.