Make a donation

Author Topic: CLOSED  (Read 9141 times)

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
Re: MK6 Remap - Need Help !!! - who to go with?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 05:58:08 pm »
What happened with the PDF map ?

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 06:00:37 pm »
Little 'Good experience' marker from me here re. 170 DPF Revo stage 1 map with AKS Tuning (Alex/vRSAlex)  :happy2:

Getting on well with it, complete with SPS switch.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 07:11:12 pm »
It makes sense.  Better to have a depth of knowledge than a breadth of knowledge.

Having had Superchips, shark, APR and jabba maps on my past couple cars I know I wouldnt use Superchips or Shark ever again.  Jabba are too far away from me so id discount them, id consider an APR, but in all honesty, id like to see what custom stuff Nick @ R-TECH could do for me.

what happened with shark?

On the 2.0TFSI the stage 2 map was fantastic.  I was the first to have the stage 2+ from them and it was fraught with issues, many many map revisions applied, and there were fueling issues throughout, they tried everything they could to help, could fault them on customer service, purely the mapping.  Thought I would give them a second chance with my Fabia vRS.  They did the R&D on mine for their software.  It was absolutely rapid but suffered heatsoak substantially, however Turns out they were attempting to run 3.2 bar of boost when the maximum possible boost of the stock turbo was 2.6 bar.  

I used to recommend them to people, however after a large percentage of them ended up with issues, both 2.0TFSI and 1.4TSI, not only would i no longer use them , i would also not recommend them either.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 10:51:43 am »
What happened with the PDF map ?
I returned to them as I wasn't happy with the harsh engine noise compared to several other cr170's
After having another map flashed my car is very underpowered and sounds like it has a boost leak!
After flashing several other maps on it wasn't any better.
I was so fed up I asked for a refund and the car returned to standard but that was a no no!
I eventually limped home some 90 miles and have spent a few days pressure testing the whole system.
I replaced the intercooler o-ring seals which made no difference so pressure tested the intercooler and all the pipework from turbo to throttle body up to 28 psi with no leaks.
I done some research and checked turbo actuator and the vacuum side substituting air flow meter etc but car still the same.
I then emailed Sedox expressing my disappointment on wedensday and haven't heard anything since.
Vw want £72 to flash the car to standard which I need to pay and lose my original map cost.
I was going on holiday yesterday so had to bring her 54 plate leon as my car loaded up with 4 people would've been pointless.
Carbon chip tuning on another forum have offered me one of their maps for free due to this which I think speaks volumes for that company.
I wish I'd left it standard or went with Revo which I wanted originally.

To make a few things clear about what Kev has said, I understand his frustrations and we have tried everything possible to resolve the issue he has. His car was tuned on 27th of March 2013 and this is what he had to say about it:

"Just back from Sedox and the car is totally transformed.
I'll post the graphs up later but as I thought the car only made 166bhp standard and was down on torque slightly.
Finished figures were 210bhp and torque at 300ftlbs
Car goes much much better and seems to be better on fuel!
On the way home sitting on cruise at 85mph the trip was trading 50.2mpg
The total average has been sitting on 44.6mpg but after returning it has risen to 47.2mpg.
So far so good and I'm extremely pleased"

Then exactly 3 months later his engine develops a noise, he sent videos and datalogs which we spent a long time going through and comparing to other logs from stock and tuned cars. We were not able to find any issues, so pulled up his maps and compared them with lots of other 170CR tuned maps. Nothing was out of the ordinary. We got Kevs car in and spent most of the day diagnosing and testing various things as well as test driving and datalogging, although we could not hear the noise, Kev was certain there was a noise there. The car did sound like it may have a boost leak, we checked, removed and cleaned, re-installed boost hoses and the problem persisted. We gave Kev the choice of flashing the tuned file back to his car, which he wanted and he left. As he doesn't live locally there was not a huge amount more we could do for him. He did ask for a refund (we do have a 30 day money back guarantee) but after 3 months of being delighted with his car and nothing but praise for our service and product it is clear that it is a hardware fault that is causing his issue, if it was a software fault it would have been there from day 1.

Since that day we have had no contact from Kev. We carried out all the investigation work completely free of charge, I dont know what more we could have done.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 12:33:27 pm »
Have you had the car flashed back to stock?

Does it still make the noise?
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 01:58:02 pm »
Hi Kev,

Have checked again and no emails from you have been received since you visited us, please re-send it if you would like us to reply. If you could also let us know what more you would like us to do then please do so. If you still want your full stock file flashed to your ECU for diagnostic purposes then I can arrange for somebody local to do this free of charge if required. As for undertray screws, any that were removed were replaced and were certainly not left here.

As for refunding you, its unfair for you to have your car tuned and then complain about not getting a refund 3 months later, we offer a 30 day money back guarantee and it was 92 days before you contacted us about a noise that you had noticed. As we have already shown, we will help you as much as possible to get to the bottom of your problem, but unless the car is here, that cant happen.

There is a mindset in this country (that our dealers in other countries don't ever see) where if your car gets tuned, every fault that you ever experience will be the fault of the 'map' and if its not fixed immediately, for free then a refund is expected.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 02:38:13 pm »
Battery reset clears certain emissions 'learned' data, it also cycles (opens and closes) various emissions components. Electronically controlled components will cycle upon ignition (throttle body etc), vacuum operated components will cycle upon engine start, this is why some cars will stall after the first start you do after a battery reset, its the engine opening and closing things like EGR/swirl flaps etc...

look in vagcom at the readiness blocks and also check for fault codes.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 03:58:11 pm »
If you need any help in the future just ask, I advise everyone to ring for tech support rather than email. Mark monitors emails but only when he gets a chance between jobs and then its passed on to me and I usually look at them in the evening as im busy with ECU's and software all day.

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 06:11:44 pm »
So if car is back to standard and no boost leak or knocking noise....are you confirming it was the map?
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 06:20:41 pm »
YOu have to bear in mind a remap will highlight an issue that is there even if the stock map doesnt.  It doesn't mean that its necessarily the map.

Case in point is diverter valves on the 2.0TFSI.  How many people have blamed the map when it was purely a boost leak?

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 07:11:11 pm »
Have you had the car flashed back to stock?

Does it still make the noise?

Been away for the weekend so not yet.

So if car is back to standard and no boost leak or knocking noise....are you confirming it was the map?

So i doubt it.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 08:36:35 pm »
and when the 1.4 tsi engines started falling to bits, everyone blamed maps but stock ones were suffering the same failures. The early days of 1.8t tuning when coilpacks were dying within days of the remap, Injector faults on the 170ppd that turned out to be a recall, Boost issues and ABS lights on the Focus St 225 that turned out to be faulty MAF's, Low boost on the PD130's that is almost always a gunked up MAP sensor, .... it always gets blamed on the map but it almost always is an underlying issue.

In this case we knew it wasnt a software fault because we have 14 other 170cr engines with the exact same software and hardware versions that we compared Kevs map with and all were within a few percent of eachother, we dont re-use maps but find that when we finish tuning a stock car with the same stage tune that the changes we have made within the maps are always very similar. This is a good thing because it means that fault diagnosis is easier and we know what has been altered and by how much.

In Kevs case we also upgraded him to the latest software version for his ECU that we have, this is what stopped the noise he was getting at low RPM. The new vag 170CR software demands a lower rail pressure when pulling awa, they have also lowered rail pressure demands on the 1.6CR for a very similar issue.

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 09:52:37 pm »
What's even more strange is
I've just got back and went to my car which I'd disconnected the battery on before I left( thought I'd give it a try)
Only to find the car drives fine and no boost leak noise!!
So there's no way it was a hardware problem.
I'm pleased the car is back to normal but can't understand why.
Temp has dropped to 21 degrees here if that would make any difference and the only other thing that's been done is the battery disconnected.
Opinions welcome
This is for Ross
No never had the car returned to stock, as above

Oh sorry, i thought i you left the battery off for a period that the map gets removed,
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 04:43:52 pm »
Now done 100 miles with the car and it seems to go alright but mpg isn't great.
Sitting on cruise at 70 mph the trip is on 44.6mpg and that took 40 miles to get to that.
Previously the computer read 53.1mpg and that was everywhere at 80mph

Sounds worse off. Need some new map actions.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 04:46:30 pm »
Could be down to driving into the wind, majority uphill etc.

Generally on light throttle your fuel economy would be about the same with or without a remap. You would need to do several journeys before you can state the map is at fault
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr