Make a donation

Author Topic: Lumpy GT170... finally an end in sight??  (Read 1139 times)

Offline lippyx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 1
  • Coz white IS the best colour!
Lumpy GT170... finally an end in sight??
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:33:45 am »
So, after a conversation with Sales manager at the VW dealer I bought my GT170 from last week, they have agreed to change it for a Mk6 Golf.
I now have 3 lights on the dash (coil, engine management and DPF), and it's constantly pinging at me, and runs like pants!

Paid a visit to VW dealer yesterday, discussed options, and told them what car I am now looking for... not another diesel!!

I totally appreciate there will be no straight forward swapping, and I know I will have to pay some money for a newer model, but I don't want to feel like I have lost out - again.

I have seen a Mk6 GTI, in Candy White, only the 17in Monza's (as opposed to the 18s) and cloth not leather. I would prefer leather, and although the dealer says most enthusiasts would rather have the check cloth (?), they are prepared to do a deal on retro fitting leather. The Golf has 33k on the clock, on an 09 plate. I have yet to see it, as its at another branch, but it looks to have Irish plates on (CRZ****)... should I be worried about an Irish plated car? Is it classed as an import, like an imported jap car?? Do I have to re-register the car?

Also, I know VW dealers can "buy" cars from other franchises, but can they "buy" from another VW dealer that's not the same franchise?

Like I say, I don't expect something for nothing, but just wanted your advice really guys on this car/deal? I am waiting for the dealer to call me with figures, and I guess that will help with my decision, but interested in your thoughts, as I have never been in this situation before!

Thanks
Lx

2013 Golf R

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: Lumpy GT170... finally an end in sight??
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:43:10 am »
Make sure the car has a full UK spec and that includes factory alarm (important for insurance purposes)  and climate control.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:24:28 pm »
Northern Ireland cars will be to full UK Spec , as it is a part of the UK. Cars from the Republic will be different - the Northern Ireland reg will either be original , or a private plate , either way the garage should be able to get a correct 09 plate attatched to the car. Good luck , you will love the GTI.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:40:36 pm »
As already mentioned that reg might just be a cherished number, and if the car is from northern ireland they use the same dvla as us here in england, if southern ireland they have their own. i personally would not buy a car from southern ireland, it's not 100% but i heard a few years ago about dealers sending cars to southern ireland after they'd been on the first 3 years lease with high mileage, and after sending them out there and registering them, they altered the mileage records ect and then sent them back to england, therefore leaving no record of the cars real history or mileage due to being previously registered over sea's and in a different country.

Offline lippyx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:59:32 am »
Thanks for the heads up. I will question whether its a northern Ireland car or if its just a private plate. I am looking forward to getting a GTI, it'll be my first one too!!

2013 Golf R

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:52:11 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. I will question whether its a northern Ireland car or if its just a private plate. I am looking forward to getting a GTI, it'll be my first one too!!

If it helps......the reg given will be a northern ireland reg OR a northern ireland style reg which can be bought from the DVLA over the internet. Although NI is in the UK, it is not the DVLA that controls NI vehicles but the DVLNI. A PNC/DVLA check on a proper NI vehicle will NOT show any details of the vehicle. However, a vehicle with a NI style plate bought from the the DVLA will be checkable.

Same with road tax and driving licences. Both are exactly the same but contain DVLNI details as oppossed ot DVLA. It confused me and indeed when dealing with those disqualified by DVLA but who had a DVLNI licence! Go figure.

But, I wouldn't be too worried if it was either or. The former you just need to speak to DVLNI or check a check done in NI.

South vehicles have different plates entirely and tbh a VW should be selling it on a Irish plates techically I guess a export to the UK would occur if it was here on a long term basis....aka new plates, tax, etc etc.
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 10:42:46 pm »
Also, I know VW dealers can "buy" cars from other franchises, but can they "buy" from another VW dealer that's not the same franchise?
Yes. Solihull VW didn't have a black ED30 in any of their group's stocks. So they got it from somewhere up north, maybe Hull VW? They basically had to swap for a car of similar value or something.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 01:12:39 am »
Yes. Solihull VW didn't have a black ED30 in any of their group's stocks. So they got it from somewhere up north, maybe Hull VW? They basically had to swap for a car of similar value or something.

this seems the most plausible as when my dad bought his last car Mercedes did the same thing with a factory order - they "traded" a spec changeable build slot from another dealer group for stock of equal value so we could expedite our order.  
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline lippyx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 08:22:51 am »

This is the argument I am facing. I spoke to VW HQ last night and they say the dealers can only buy from sister dealers, so Inchcape can only buy from Inchcape etc. I think what happens is when they buy from a sister dealer, they pay the trade price and then sell at forecourt price
(this is what they done when they sourced my ill fated mk5 GT, it originally came from up north) but if they buy out side of their sister dealers they have to pay forecourt price, therefore, they wouldn't be making any profit (if anything a loss).

My argument is, this whole process is NOT a profit making exercise, it is a "help the customer that we have screwed over" exercise. They will already be gaining money, as the balance of said new car will have to go on finance, plus future spending I will be doing (servicing etc)

I think VW need to look outside the box!! My car is now in limp mode, and they have agreed to take it in so I can have a loan car (NEXT week was the earliest they could do!) but they better not think I am driving around in a loan car for weeks on end, while they faff about.

Believe it or not, they had the perfect GTI in stock, and if they had pulled their finger out earlier, I could have had that one, but no, they've sold it  :sad1:

2013 Golf R

Offline lippyx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 08:24:54 am »
Oh, by the way, forgot to say, the "Irish" GTI has had a previous front end, and is "slightly twisted"!!  :surprised:

2013 Golf R

Offline Neiltdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 8
  • Full Hex+CAN
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 08:41:16 am »
Oh, by the way, forgot to say, the "Irish" GTI has had a previous front end, and is "slightly twisted"!!  :surprised:

Stay well away then , who knows what issues you could face in a couple of weeks or even a coule of years
Full Hex+CAN in Hampshire.