Make a donation

Author Topic: OZ Alleggerita's....  (Read 54010 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
OZ Alleggerita's....
« on: August 17, 2009, 12:03:40 pm »

There's no doubt that if you are looking for a lightweight performance rim for trackdays and at very good value for money, then Team Dynamics are the best. However, although they particular look well in black on white cars such as WhiteGTI's and MatED30's, personally I don't think they look so good on other colours. BUT, we each have individual tastes and the TD's are primarily functional.

Anyone who knows me or my car can see that I like being under a spot light and as a professional designer (now retired) I'm hardwired into eye-candy. So, thanks to 'candy turbo' Ian who suggested this rim (and mistakenly thinks I have money to burn!). While I'm also at it, thanks to Chris for PMing me to rave about how much he loved his new lighter weight TD's (barsterd!!). Also to Hurdy for loads of tech info and tony_d for sensible reasoning and SteveP and others for encouragement - You're all barsterds for spending my money!

I make no apology for also wanting some style as well as function and so I will one day be going for OZ Alleggerita 18's in Titanium colour. Here are what the 17's look like on a red GTI < CORRECTION: I have since learnt that, although very similar, these are not OZ Alleggerita's - Do not blindly trust Google!

I will of course write a review in due course.

This is an OZ Alleggerita : -

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:37:26 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
Re: OZ Alleggerita's....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:08:06 pm »
i love em robin and wanting a set for 'blue' i can understand your reasons :happy2:

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:09:52 pm »
Hmmm. Something not right in 17" (sorry). ..pretty sure the 18's will look far better. (Not that I am much of a judge, I went out to buy a suit once and my wife said I looked like John Major!)..

Can someone photoshop something for you?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 12:16:32 pm »
Hmmm. Something not right in 17" (sorry). ..pretty sure the 18's will look far better. (Not that I am much of a judge, I went out to buy a suit once and my wife said I looked like John Major!)..

Can someone photoshop something for you?

and so I will one day be going for OZ Alleggerita 18's in Titanium colour

:happy2:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 12:21:10 pm »
^^^^
The pics of the red GTI are 17's only because I haven't found any pics of 18's on Tornado Red yet.

These might be 18's - The pic certainly shows well how the darkness of the Titanium colour doesn't merge into the tyre - Something I personally don't like on most all black rims.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:25:47 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 12:21:23 pm »
they will look great red :) look forward to seeing them on the car ;)

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline JVS

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 12:26:15 pm »
The 17 inchers were obviously fine for doing doughnuts in front of the garages though :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 12:31:00 pm »

they will look great red :) look forward to seeing them on the car ;)

....I don't know when yet though! They would be great for The Ring trip but I've got some other expenses currently.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 12:41:07 pm »

The 17 inchers were obviously fine for doing doughnuts in front of the garages though :grin:

.... :laugh:

The guy does trackdays though and 17's are reckoned by many to be the better option for that.

The OZ 18's will still be fractionally lighter than the TD's.

I'm going for a combination of function with style - Always what I try to achieve.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 12:48:49 pm »
Lovely choice.  :drool:
Golf R gone.

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 02:21:52 pm »
very cool . performance and looks
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 05:03:18 pm »
robin , i know you would come round , you are a man with taste  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :wink:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 05:18:29 pm »
Nice choice Red and will finish your car off very nicely..  :happy2: If I was spending that money on rims then I would have probably gone down the same route. But I couldn't justify it over the bargain that the TD's were. Those again would have looked  :drool: on yours in matt or gloss. They go very well with Tornado red, just look at Luca's..
Either way, you will certainly feel a difference in the general behavior/handling and performance of the car and knowing how much you like a good balance it will suit your requirements to a tee i'm sure..  :wink:

Peskarik

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 07:35:10 pm »
Good choice, RR!  :congrats:

As for me, I bought black OZ Alleggerita 8x18.
Waiting for them to arrive.

All colors except titanium are made on order, in small quantities. That is because OZ was on the verge of bankruptcy a few years back, because they were producing too much stock. Now they produce only one color in bulk, and the rest of colors in very very small numbers, basically to order.
Our OZ representative here in Switzerland has quite a stock of Alleggerita in titanium, but no other colors. They tried to sell me titanium ones (these are cheaper), but I looked at them and black rims would look better on a white car, in my opinion.

Alleggerita is made in Italy, and the workers are now on vacation, so I have to wait some more time before my wheels are made and arrive to me.
 :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 07:49:32 pm »

candy turbo, I've clicked you a Thank You - I might have missed the OZ Alleggy's without your suggestion :drinking:.

Ben, agreed absolutely that TD's are THE best choice budget wise and also I really do think they particular suit the white 3-door GTI's - Kinda 'track funky'. The OZ will suit my 5-door and its cosmetic mods better.

Pesky, good info :happy2:. I didn't know about the Titaniums being cheaper etc. I think that they'll compliment my carbonfibre bits better than black.

The Italians always have such style don't they! :notworthy:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:52:23 pm by RedRobin »