Make a donation

Author Topic: With the influx of new spammers....  (Read 10477 times)

Offline Rumple

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
  • Das Original.
    • Email
Re: With the influx of new spammers....
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 12:32:52 pm »
Correct, I wouldn't get something posted by a 25 poster but if its the right deal I would be willing to meet in person with cash... So I still think its worth having them post?

Black 3dr Edition 30 DSG

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 12:52:40 pm »

I can tell you this forum has more downtime and timeouts than uk-mkivs.

The joke there is that uk-mkivs.net don't accept donations (even though I want to give) and yet here they are almost always asking for a money.

The money asked for is the basic running costs to keep the forum going so we don't have to use advertisers. You don't have to contribute if you don't want to! no one pesters you for money.  :confused:

Don't get me wrong I like this forum but I will defend uk-mkivs as it always seems the butt of all jokes

What are you talking about? know one here is having a go at UK MKIVS on here, you are complaining about problems on here.  :stupid:

What people dont realise about this forum is! we dont need new members! we are not trying to sell anything or keep a member total up for sponsors to pay us. People are welcome to join in if they want to share info or just use the forum for their own gains!, thats fine but it makes no difference if they stay or go.
From day one we have had people wanting the forum to be different and change to suit them. Yes it can be improved in lots of ways but unfortunately it is what it is and you have to accept thats the way it is or vote with your feet and find somewhere that better suits your needs. That is not being arsey i am just stating how it is. If loads of our members left tomorrow it would not make any difference to the site ( except it would run faster at peak times  :laugh: ).
The site was set up originally because the Mk5 section on another forum grew to big and arguments sprouted up on a daily basis. This site was simply for people with Mk5 GTI's to swap info and help each other out free from sponsors influence. and although it has grown massively from then, nothing has changed in terms of what we have wanted to provide.
You need to think of this place as a family member rather than a family home. It is what it is.  :drinking:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 01:55:03 pm »
I would also like to add. We probably are not running the forum too well at the moment . SteveP hardly come on at all, he is very busy with his career and will be for quite sometime yet. Greeners  is also very busy with his business. I sold my GTI over two years ago now and don't have any interest in the MK 5 platform at the moment. This makes it very hard to keep coming on here and keep it going how we want and with the passion it deserves. It is not fair on you guys that the main moderator doesn't have the interest and passion required. We recognise this is a problem and it is being worked on as we speak i am going to take a step back but not gone completely (Unlucky Saint Steve  :wink:).

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 01:57:33 pm »
But equally the more people selling stuff the more bargains to be had for members?
Are you more likely to buy off someone with a 25 post count or with a 2500 post count (all else being equal)?

I'd buy it from the person who has the best condition item at the same price and whom is closest.
If you are picking an item up it doesn't matter how many posts you have.
You should also know by now that post count doesn't indicate a level of trustworthyness..

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 02:07:15 pm »
I'd buy it from the person who has the best condition item at the same price and whom is closest.
If you are picking an item up it doesn't matter how many posts you have.
You should also know by now that post count doesn't indicate a level of trustworthyness..
1. I did state all else being equal - ie everything in terms of price, condition, location - everything.
2. Not everyone has the ability to pick up items.
3. I agree that post count isn't an accurate indicator of trustworthiness, but I'm more likely to buy something from the likes of Greeners, Hedge or Richwig than I am from, say, you.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=at8nrm1k1bqubdfps7pvj1jt53&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 02:10:54 pm »
Don't buy from Hedge.. he's proper dodgy...  :grin:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 02:38:13 pm »
Personally, I would make the classifieds hidden until you reached both a post count AND a time limit. I've been on forums where this has been the case. Waiting say two months and 50 posts isn't difficult. But as above, they need to be meaningful posts.

As I and others have said countless times before, this isn't a website for buying/selling stuff like Amazon or ebay. It's designed to allow like minded people to chat about cars and maybe other things. If you can't be bothered to do that, are you really somebody who: 1. Can be trusted? And 2. Should be around here?

Really like that idea.

I wanted to get intouch with someone selling there car.

Had there been strict selling rules displace stating either s contact number or email address I'd not of needed to join. Or make ten meaningless posts before I could pm him

I refer you to my above comments. It doesn't much effort to make 10 meaningful posts. You just cannot be arsed with it. If you could not see the classified, you would not have joined and then spam posted.

I speak the following for myself only: I'm hacked off at the number of people who register to sell/buy and then piss off never to come back again. To those people, why don't you just piss off in the first place?

:congrats:

Also make all listing a requirement of "Picture with signed piece of paper and date" :happy2:

Always thought this should mandatory, takes no effort and would stop the "I don't really have this item, I'm just taking the piss and ripping you off" peeps. Been a few off those on here lately.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 03:33:51 pm »
Don't buy from Hedge.. he's proper dodgy...  :grin:

Lovely. :happy2:

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72567.0.html
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 03:46:05 pm »
Super friendly forum lol.

Making 10 posts isn't hard your correct. It's still bloody spam just a better version of it.

The attitudes of some of you stink Tbh I think I'll leave you all to it. You don't know me or the input I could bring to the forum

If you knew me from ukmivs and various other forums perhaps you'd be less judgemental. Don't tar everyone with the same brush. It's your crap classified rules that cause the problems lol
For the record. I found the car for sale with Google images. Not trawling forums.

Jake
Tornado red ed30 #0728

Offline Rumple

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Das Original.
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 04:40:36 pm »
Tbf you've barely got over 10 posts and you've already been a whinge bag, I don't think anyone will miss you mate  :booty:

Black 3dr Edition 30 DSG

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 07:04:36 pm »
To have a thread dedicated to spamming just so you can get your post count up is daft; what's the point of having a min number of posts in the first place?

Should be based on how long you've been a member, or at the very least add some signal rather than a bunch of noise. :happy2:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 02:15:21 pm »
Personally, I would make the classifieds hidden until you reached both a post count AND a time limit. I've been on forums where this has been the case. Waiting say two months and 50 posts isn't difficult. But as above, they need to be meaningful posts.

As I and others have said countless times before, this isn't a website for buying/selling stuff like Amazon or ebay. It's designed to allow like minded people to chat about cars and maybe other things. If you can't be bothered to do that, are you really somebody who: 1. Can be trusted? And 2. Should be around here?

Better idea.

Also make all listing a requirement of "Picture with signed piece of paper and date"  :happy2:

Totally agree with Rich. On other forums, ie uk-mkivs when you are eligible you have to post your for sale item with photos with forum name and date on a card. Was quite suprised that this does not apply on here, you dont even have to post a picture.

mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 04:44:11 pm »
^^^^ Spot on.  :happy2:

Wouldn't take long for the mods to check that this is being done, if not delete the post and suspend the member. Would soon stop it from happening.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Llew

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 01:55:07 am »
Wow I didn't know what spamming meant i never  bothered to look up what it meant ,won't affect me personally though , anyway suppose we have every member post their crb/ basic disclosure check results before they can access the fs section
Golf 2006 tdi 140pd, dsg paddles,blue interior led lights,r32 rear bumper, cruise control,vcds,highline , r32 mfsw steering wheel, gti front bumper,miltek decat.

Offline Rumple

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Das Original.
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 09:44:40 am »
A criminal record check to access the FS section? That's even worse than the spammers board  :confused:

Black 3dr Edition 30 DSG