Make a donation

Author Topic: Dodds GT 170 Build - Going, going, going...  (Read 23959 times)

Offline Ant.W28LKR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
Re: Dodds GT 170
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 11:19:36 pm »
need to get the rear valance painted. I have DH Auto mobile if you wish?? 

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2013, 11:24:20 pm »
need to get the rear valance painted. I have DH Auto mobile if you wish??

Thanks for the PM this morning. I'll give Davie a visit next week and see what deal he can give me. Just collected a fron GTI valance today so I have the full GTI kit to be colour coded.

All in due time (when money allows)!

I have another set of 18's (SEAT BBS RD256) that I need to shift, ideal for winters as they're a bit scruffy. Need to get the camera out and start selling.

Oh yeah and a set of BMW 16" steelies... ;-)

Offline Ant.W28LKR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2013, 11:27:55 pm »
well you know how much i was for rear valance, skirts and front splitter. all colour coded and fitted. 

Stop buying wheels :laugh:

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2013, 06:42:22 am »
Choices choices. Personally I'd keep the classics for winter (as I do now) then have the TD's for summer. That's only because I really like them haha. Personal preference though mate. Car is coming on a treat  :happy2:

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2013, 08:28:45 pm »
I like the 18" Team Dynamic Pro 1.2 - maybe painted in anthracite. Looking at the members rides on here and anthracite colour alloys on red a car looks awesome.....

Really love what u doing with the car. Always look forward to reading your updates  :happy2:
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2013, 05:51:31 pm »
I like the 18" Team Dynamic Pro 1.2 - maybe painted in anthracite. Looking at the members rides on here and anthracite colour alloys on red a car looks awesome.....

Really love what u doing with the car. Always look forward to reading your updates  :happy2:

Not a fan of anthracite wheels on a red car. I thought about it but seeing a members car on here (sorry for pinching this pic)

See page one of this thread for a red Ed30 in silver Pro 1.2's. Lovely! Think I'm gonna go with the TD's and 16" Imola's for winter (I already have the wheels and tyres). Might look out for 17" Monza's for next winter.

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2013, 07:34:49 pm »
Eventually got the car into a local garage so I could have a poke/look about underneath. I've had a rattle and slight handling issue for a couple of weeks and the afore mentioned random loss of boost.

Verdict is: front ARB has come out of one of its mounts, the horizontal one on the console/subframe driver's side.

Question is: do I need a new anti-roll bar or can I fit a new mount? The ARB has all the paint rubbed off round about where it's moving and is now rusting.

What ARB do I go for? Buying an aftermarket set (front/rear) may be cheaper than getting a replacement OEM part.

Secondly - the oil pipe that goes to the turbo is leaking. Looks like it's from the end, i.e. possibly just the seals. Is this just a standard fix or is there a better set of seals to replace?

No pics as I was busy poking about with gloves and a torch.

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2013, 08:14:53 pm »
Not sure on the ARB mate but Alex at AKS has told me the oil leak from the turbo is quite common. I get a little from mine and can see it whenever I get underneath. Been told its nothing to worry about as its only a tiny amount. Regular oil level check should reveal of its becoming a major issue.

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2013, 03:20:23 pm »
Not sure on the ARB mate but Alex at AKS has told me the oil leak from the turbo is quite common. I get a little from mine and can see it whenever I get underneath. Been told its nothing to worry about as its only a tiny amount. Regular oil level check should reveal of its becoming a major issue.

Getting an OEM front ARB fitted today, along with turbo pipe oil seals. Will be investigating a DPF-delete pipe next (probably Darkside Developments) and a remap.

Looking to sell my new GTI front valance (in packaging) and centre splitter now, as I've picked up an ABS plastic copy part of the Votex Splitter.

This month I'll be getting all paintwork completed and fitted, maybe a remap at the end of November.  :driver:

Winter wheels and tyres will be going on in the next few weeks also. Looking forward to the comfiness of 16" wheels but not the poor looks.  :ashamed:

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2013, 10:52:52 am »
Yeah get the Darskide one. Lovely bit of kit. You will have to tuck the DPF sensors out the way though as it doesn't have the holes for them. Not required once the DPF is removed but need to be left connected or it throws a fault.

Mine are just tucked down the back of the insulation on the bulkhead  :happy2:

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2013, 05:57:10 pm »
Winter mode enabled. 16's on now (tres comfortable) with Hankook I*cept 205/55/16's on. Will report in a few weeks my thoughts. Apologies for the crappy photos. Will get an improved one at first light!

Also these arrived from China!!

Lovely items, easy to fit and the finish off the centre dash nicely. Will look even better with my RCD510...

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2013, 07:15:27 pm »
the hankook tyres are good in the bad weather

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
Re: Dodds GT 170 Build - SELLING!!
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2013, 12:10:10 pm »
Thanks Matto,

So far the Hankooks have proved much less slippy on the current roads than the Pirelli's.

Unfortunately I'm now looking to sell some stuff!!  :sad1:

The right house has come up n the market so I need to boost my deposit fund.

As I have the Pirelli Alloys off now they are available for sale. In summary the following items:

• Team Dynamic Pro 1.2 Alloys - 18x8 ET45 still in their box (less than a month's use on previous owners car)
  • Pirelli Alloys 18x7.5 ET51 with Pirelli tyres
  • BBS RD256 Alloys - 18x7.5 ET51 in need of a refurb, perfect winter 18's
  • Front Votex Replica Lip, brand new still in packaging. Made from ABS not fibreglass
  • GTI Sideskirts with fitting kit, brand new in packaging!
  • GTI Front Valance, brand new in wrapper. also selling small front GTI lip spoiler (used) to go with it.
  • RCD510 with owners manual and code
  • 2nd hand CANBUS, revision 7N0 907 530 N used to stop battery drain
  • BMW 16x6.5 Steel Wheels and BMW Wheel Trims, with tyres but perfect for winters
  • Shark Performance STS Console for storing remaps

All items will be added to the Classified once I take pictures, find all the details and get the time! Shame to sell my 'collection' but it can all be bought again after a house!!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:13:34 pm by dodds-gttdi »

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2013, 01:16:17 pm »
Gutted mate but like you are right. Need to prioritise and you can't live in a nice looking car. You have PM #vulture  :signLOL:

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2013, 01:40:21 pm »
Thanks Matto,

So far the Hankooks have proved much less slippy on the current roads than the Pirelli's.

Unfortunately I'm now looking to sell some stuff!!  :sad1:

The right house has come up n the market so I need to boost my deposit fund.

As I have the Pirelli Alloys off now they are available for sale. In summary the following items:

• Team Dynamic Pro 1.2 Alloys - 18x8 ET45 still in their box (less than a month's use on previous owners car)
  • Pirelli Alloys 18x7.5 ET51 with Pirelli tyres
  • BBS RD256 Alloys - 18x7.5 ET51 in need of a refurb, perfect winter 18's
  • Front Votex Replica Lip, brand new still in packaging. Made from ABS not fibreglass
  • GTI Sideskirts with fitting kit, brand new in packaging!
  • GTI Front Valance, brand new in wrapper. also selling small front GTI lip spoiler (used) to go with it.
  • RCD510 with owners manual and code
  • 2nd hand CANBUS, revision 7N0 907 530 N used to stop battery drain
  • BMW 16x6.5 Steel Wheels and BMW Wheel Trims, with tyres but perfect for winters
  • Shark Performance STS Console for storing remaps

All items will be added to the Classified once I take pictures, find all the details and get the time! Shame to sell my 'collection' but it can all be bought again after a house!!

Thule Roof Bars to be sold also. Fair condition, comes with locking key although one leg doesn't lock. Very good price, yes please sir!