Make a donation

Author Topic: Your thoughts please  (Read 4924 times)

Offline matsu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Re: Your thoughts please
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 12:53:20 pm »
not that i undesrtand much of the tech stuff but some good sound and sfe advice being dished out here today.
thats why i like this site....... and why ive spent so much bloody cash :jumping:
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 03:38:39 pm »
if your not thinking of track days id probably steer clear of coilovers, instead id go for eibach/h&r lowering springs matched to KONI FSDs as that setup is very good for road use, and IMO opinion better ride than standard in all departments. Damping is just as important to handling as spring stiffness.

on ARBs
Rear wheel drive cars- increase the front bar to reduce understeer, and increase the rear bar will increase understeer

front wheel drive cars- are the opposite. Increase the rear bar and reduce understeer, increase the front you will increase understeer, however if you increase both and overall roll and understeer will be reduced whilst keeping the balance of the car neutral. to stiff on the rear and you'll be pushing your car to understeer a litle more when pushed. I have the eibachs front and rear with the front on the softest setting and rear on the stiffest setting and IMO opinion it is very good. (I am considering a bigger rear bar again though but i am very track biased)

Also if you are considering WALk, and you also go for Front and rear ARBs, get them fitted at the same time to save paying for two lots of geometry work, as the front ARB and WALK both require this.

Agree with the guys also about the 19" wheels. you will start to cancel out any handling improvements with massive wheels. 18s are fine, even better if they are lightweight

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 03:39:34 pm »
if your not thinking of track days id probably steer clear of coilovers, instead id go for eibach/h&r lowering springs matched to KONI FSDs as that setup is very good for road use, and IMO opinion better ride than standard in all departments. Damping is just as important to handling as spring stiffness.

on ARBs
Rear wheel drive cars- increase the front bar to reduce understeer, and increase the rear bar will increase understeer

front wheel drive cars- are the opposite. Increase the rear bar and reduce understeer, increase the front you will increase understeer, however if you increase both and overall roll and understeer will be reduced whilst keeping the balance of the car neutral.
Too stiff on the rear and you'll be pushing your car to understeer a little more when pushed. I have the eibachs front and rear with the front on the softest setting and rear on the stiffest setting and IMO opinion it is very good. (I am considering a bigger rear bar again though but i am very track biased)

Also if you are considering WALk, and you also go for Front and rear ARBs, get them fitted at the same time to save paying for two lots of geometry work, as the front ARB and WALK both require this.

Agree with the guys also about the 19" wheels. you will start to cancel out any handling improvements with massive wheels. 18s are fine, even better if they are lightweight

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 04:08:37 pm »

Remember that every 1kg per wheel you save is like taking 20kg out of the body of the car in terms of accelleration/decelleration.

For example the 19" CH's are approx 28.5lbs and the 18" OZ Ultraleggera's are approx 18.5lbs, that is a saving of 10lb per wheel which equates to a 200lb saving in the body of the car!!!!

wow I didnt realise that, this site is so bad.

Offline H DUBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 04:31:50 pm »
WOW, thats alot of info, and greatly appreciated might I add.

A few things to chew on certainly.

Luvin the advice people  :happy2: Thanks alot

Now to digest it!!  :confused:  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 05:11:05 pm »

Crikey, I've just worked out that my new lightweight LeggyRita's will equate to saving me approx 100 kg !! :surprised:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!