Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre pressure sensor valve  (Read 2547 times)

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
Tyre pressure sensor valve
« on: September 12, 2013, 06:56:22 pm »
Hi guys and gals, my front passenger side tyre is having to be pumped up now every week! The tyre pressure warning light has of course been coming on every so often, just assumed I had a slow puncture, so went to kwikfit earlier, expecting to pay £24.50 for a puncture repair, but low and behold, seems there is a leak from the valve only! The bloke said he would have to order one in as apparently it's a 'special' item and has to be programmed in, GREAT!! Long and short I guess is anybody have an idea what these special valves cost as they haven't a clue as yet??

Many thanks for any help given

Andrew

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
Re: Tyre pressure sensor valve
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:17:50 pm »
I wasn't aware that Golf's had tyre pressure sensors. I have been known to be wrong before though!

Mine has the tyre pressure warning system but no special valves. I run soft compound tyres so have got through a few!!! New valves each time from the generic ones they have.

The ABS sensors (ring of magnets and a pickup) sense the amount of time each of the wheels takes to rotate (sine wave output). 0 = not moving! If combined with braking then that wheel has locked.
If 1 wheel rotates faster because it has a smaller effective circumfrence than the others (soft or flat tyre) then the warning comes on! The steering angle sensor is used as well as cornering varies the wheel speeds.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

2017 Audi S4

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 07:44:58 pm »
Plse forgive my terminology here but when he put water on the tyre, the only place that bubbles arose from was the valve, ie where you put the air in, so he just came out with 'I need a special valve that needs to be programmed in!'
Hopefully somebody will set us both straight here!?

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 07:50:18 pm »
Assuming it's an early Monza 2 18" rim then they do need bespoke metal valves available only from VW. They cost around £12 each.  :scared:
It's just a valve needed as the EU/UK cars didn't come with a tyre valve TPMS associated sensor so no programming required.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 07:53:42 pm »
Lol phew, was expecting the worst!! My car is a 2005 GTi with 17" wheels if that helps!?

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:01:10 pm »

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:04:24 pm »
If you have 17s then I don't believe you'll be needing the special valve for 18'' Monzas? Have you tried a different garage for their opinion?
Sold - 2006 Tornado Red GTI 3dr

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 09:25:24 pm »
If you have 17s then I don't believe you'll be needing the special valve for 18'' Monzas? Have you tried a different garage for their opinion?
......the first GTI's on or around 05 reg on 17'' monza alloys had the metal tyre valve. My old one did. :happy2:
ED35. Standard factory condition.