Make a donation

Author Topic: Tailgate won't lock - actuator issue?  (Read 71 times)

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Tailgate won't lock - actuator issue?
« on: Today at 07:54:09 am »
Hi guys,

Just tried to shut my tailgate, after successfully opening it, and it won't lock. There is also no electric sound coming from the actuator. The rest of the central locking (4 door) is fine.

The tailgate is showing as open on my dash and I have no rear wiper. Thoughts at this stage?

I'm just keen to get the tailgate locked at the moment, for security. Isn't there a manual override on the reverse of the tailgate?

2007 1.6 FSi.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Re: Tailgate won't lock - actuator issue?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:45:10 am »
Check the wires from tailgate into the car left hand side, sounds like some of them have issues.

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:07:23 am »
Thanks mate! Will do. I recall moving the rubber wire boot last year to clean around the inside of the tailgate and thinking how clean and tidy everything looked there. I've seen on some videos, is it the earth wire that can get brittle and break? It's weird how I'm getting some sort of electrical noise from the actuator though/tailgate open warning on the dash. That's what made me think the actuator was at fault. I had to replace a couple of the door actuators the other year that had started to make weird noises and not always open/lock.

I've just tried to use the emergence lever to lock the tailgate but it's not having any one it, so as it stands, I can't actually lock the tailgate... any ideas with that? - just need a quick fix in case I can't get sorted for a for days.

A quick check for fault codes has revealed nothing.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:39:16 pm »
As mentioned, it will be broken wires on the left boot hinge
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI