Make a donation

Author Topic: Another Suspension question  (Read 709 times)

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Another Suspension question
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:23:15 pm »
Hi Guys, I originally was just going to fit some Eibach sportline springs to my GTI, but my mate who will be fitting them advised I should change the Dampers whilst it was being done. Anyhow I have come across some Bilstein B4 Gas Shock Absorber which are within budget. so with the eibach springs I'm looking at £356 for parts.
what I want from the car is not much lower look (about 20mm) and something fairly standard, ride wise. No track days for me!
Does this sound about what I need or should I be looking at coilovers, but a cheap set.  AP's maybe ?
If anyone has any experience of the B4's they care to share.
Thanks in advance

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
Re: Another Suspension question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:57:44 am »
Bilstein B12 pro-kit is a well engineered and matched package. 15mm drop, OE ride quality and BIG handling improvement. Coilovers are not necessary for you. My sig photo shows drop quite clearly.  :happy2: 

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:45:26 am »
Sportlines and Bilstein Sport dampers-for lowered rides (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Suspension/Shocks/ES5518/)

Sportlines are a nice ride, but yes, you should replace the dampers while you are at it. Just be sure the dampers are for lowered set-up's.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:47:23 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:50:06 am »
As above, pretty sure the B4 are uprated struts for OEM height, it is the B6 and B8 suited to additional lowering.

I also have the B12 setup (B8 dampers with Eibach Sportlines). They are excellent, you get what you pay for, I made the mistake of putting on AP struts/springs and took it right off basically. Check my sig for heights etc.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)