Make a donation

Author Topic: Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 - lacquer issue  (Read 9103 times)

Offline rex

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 - lacquer issue
« on: October 20, 2013, 06:48:30 pm »
Hello!

First of all, not sure this should be in the review section...

I have bought Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 8x17 ET 45 central bore 57.1 rims a year and a bit ago.
I am very pleased of how much they weigh and peaty pleased of how they look.
But, I have a big problem with the paint job/lacquer.
The rims only had (and still have) one set of tires fitted and the damage you will see below is not from tire fitting or any human error (I checked each rim after the tire fitting and there were no marks). The lacquer is just falling apart.
So, after the first track day I washed the wheels and tires and I found out that a large part of lacquer on the inside of the rim was missing. I never really cared very much because I thought that it was not noticeable:

But, this year I saw the lacquer coming of on many places (all 4 wheels are affected):

Here you can see the lacquer being cracked and I think it is only a matter of time until the left part will also come off:

And here are pieces of lacquer standing out... I think the inside and margin of the rim have lost the lacquer and you can see it here:

Has anyone experienced this with Team Dynamics? Is this normal quality finish for Team Dynamics?
I have had a set of BBS VZ 032 rims for more than 4 yeas, I had about 5 sets of tires fitted to them, I used them for many many miles (unlike the TD's) and there are no lacquer problems.
I was thinking of buying some other Team Dynamics for my other car but I'm afraid that's not going to happen.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:52:04 pm by rex »

Offline N8KOW

• Detailer - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 7
    • Kowalski Details
    • Email
Re: Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 - lacquer issue
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 07:06:46 pm »
My friend also had problems with the quality of his 1.2s. Contact TD and get them to sort.
IG: http://instagram.com/kowalskidetails
2014 Mk7 Golf R on Order...

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 11:26:32 pm »
never had no probs with the finish on my pro race wheels..
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline N8KOW

• Detailer - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 7
    • Kowalski Details
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 09:41:46 pm »
never had no probs with the finish on my pro race wheels..

I never did either, but we're not all as lucky it seems  :scared:
IG: http://instagram.com/kowalskidetails
2014 Mk7 Golf R on Order...

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:09:20 pm »
I'm sure I remember something about the paint finish on TD's pro race not being warrantied as they are primarily a competition wheel, I had some black ones once that the lacquer peeled on, currently have some grey VWR one's which seem a bit better but aren't perfect

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 10:45:33 pm »
mine did the same

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 01:10:58 am »
It's not lacquer peeling the whole paint is coming off.
To be as a detailer (not a painter although I have sprayed some stuff) that comes from the paint not being fully bonded to the surface (basically the surface wasn't prepped properly the paint can just be picked off).

The heat from track use might not have helped.
I'd recommend having them powdercoated personally. Around £250 and you get a nice choice of finishes and a strong, durable finish.  :drinking:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 06:44:57 am »
Thank you very much for you comments, guys!  :notworthy:

1. I spent about 550 GBP for this set and if I have to spend another 250 GBP on having them powder coated, I would have been better off with some BBS or even OEM wheels.
2. I use the TS's for track only and looks are not very important but I am a little bit frustrated that I spent a lot of money on some wheels that are poor quality.
3. If they decide the warranty includes this defects, that's fine (just like xjay1337, I believe the paint/lacquer were not sprayed correctly and that's why they did not bound). It will show me that they are a serious company that are responsible for their mistakes. If they decide to do nothing, I won't buy any of their wheels again (I have to buy a set of wheels for my other daily drive and I am still considering TDs).
4. The heat only has an effect on this wheels (if that's the problem). I've had BBS and OEM wheels on trackdays (even more than I've had the TDs) and the heat had no effect on them.

I am still waiting for an answer from Team Dynamics...
Any other thoughts are welcomed!

Offline steevo134

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 07:48:05 pm »
I also have had issues with the lacquer coming off my wheels replica ttrs wheels tried the store where I purchased them less than a year ago but have not heard back basically they are rubber earring me  dunno whit to do about it noo

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 11:34:25 am »
I got an answer:

...These were purchased on the 06/12/11. Which is nearly 23  months ago, which is well outside the 12 month warranty that we offer on our paint finishes.

Not quite the answer I hoped for...
Maybe I will paint the wheels or maybe I will leave them like this because they are only used on track. But for sure I won't buy any other Team Dynamics wheels!
Even if they are a little bit cheaper than BBS rims (for example) on the long time the BBS ones are much, much better.
Thanks for all your thoughts!  :notworthy:
 :driver:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 11:36:42 am »
If they are 23 months old then not really anything they can do.
I'd just have them powdercoated and enjoy them  :innocent:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 12:32:29 pm »
As far as I know these products, in the EU, have a warranty of at least 24 months (might be mistaking).
During the first 12 months I used the wheels for about 100km  :grin:. But they can clearly see that there was a mistake when painting. Anyway... not worth the effort.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 10:53:21 pm »
i agree with rex that it smacks a bit of a company shirking its responsibility. warranty or not there is clearly a problem with the product which could have fairly easily been fixed by the company. considering that now rex won't be buying another set, and it has put me off TDs and maybe other forum members as well, they stood to lose more by not offering a solution.

i do agree that the cheapest way forward for the OP is to powdercoat them and continue enjoying them and just avoid future purchases from the company in question. i'll probably get a set of Sparco Asseto Garas for my track day wheels - whenever i have the funds that is!
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=mh4sckumjjqqhgm22kej5lq1gh&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 11:55:40 pm »
Use them and abuse them!!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 12:01:43 am »
i agree with rex that it smacks a bit of a company shirking its responsibility. warranty or not there is clearly a problem with the product which could have fairly easily been fixed by the company. considering that now rex won't be buying another set, and it has put me off TDs and maybe other forum members as well, they stood to lose more by not offering a solution.

i do agree that the cheapest way forward for the OP is to powdercoat them and continue enjoying them and just avoid future purchases from the company in question. i'll probably get a set of Sparco Asseto Garas for my track day wheels - whenever i have the funds that is!

I see it from both sides. That if the wheels have only been used for a short amount of time they should last longer than that and yes I agree with the OP there's definately a problem with the paint on these particular batch of wheels.

However the wheels are nearly 2 years old and the warranty is a year.
A years warranty is more than many places, as most don't offer any warranty on finish at all!
While the possible losses may seem high would you take a TV back to a shop after 2 years, assuming it had a years warranty, and demand a refund? Or more importantly kick up a fuss if they said no.
How many people would actually buy a new set of TD wheels anyway as opposed to used.. very few.