Make a donation

Author Topic: Start Up Noise  (Read 6516 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Start Up Noise
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:09:06 am »
Hi all,

Recently my car has started to make an unusual noise after start up. It is a kind of undulating low pitched squeal, and normally lasts a few miles, or can last longer. The performance of the engine doesn't seem to have been effected, and the car has been serviced recently, and nothing was mentioned, so I wasn't too concerned.

Any ideas as to what may be causing it? Car has done 27,500 miles.

TIA

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
Re: Start Up Noise
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:34:29 am »
After a bit of investigation I think this might of started after changing the oil as part of the service. Could be the timing belt cover has warped when removing and refitting.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:51:56 am »
Would they remove this?

I'm referencing this thread: http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71397

Offline spiker

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 08:53:01 pm »
Hi mate,

I had the same problem, squeeling noise on cold start up fo a mile or so....... My dealer first changed the tensioner, didnt work, then changed the cam belt, that fixed it, had no problems since  :happy2:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 09:00:38 pm »
I have the same noise, like a rubbing or chaffing noise only when cold or after the engine oil has done a few thousand miles. Cam belt tensioner is the more likely.(its half engine revs or Tickover pace) Everytime ive mentioned it to be checked on service, ive told them not to do any work till she's cold and they could hear the problem. Each time they have said" oh we cant find the noise sir" because they didnt leave it long enough to stand.Its some sort of roller on the front of the engine thats doing it.
Its now on my list of things to drop the car in just before the 3 years warranty is up.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 09:03:37 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 09:01:23 pm »
i had the same trouble last year-mine was the fan belt

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 11:32:40 pm »

I thought that all modern cars came with electric fans?   :confused:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:54:16 pm »
oops :ashamed: i mean auxillary belt

I thought that all modern cars came with electric fans?   :confused:

Offline flyboy1976

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 09:10:54 am »
i had exactly the same noise! dealer changed the lot,water pump, x2 idlers , x1 tensioner ,cambelt and both covers.the main culprit was the water pump.mine gave a hiss, hiss sound from cold for about 5 or so minutes then shut up and was fine.hope this helps?

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 12:37:04 pm »
Just had mine fixed. Cam belt tensioner was what was noisey, that and new cambelt fitted F.O.C  :smiley:

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 01:36:40 pm »
So glad i saw this post as mine is going back in to the dealers again tomorrow. Two things still aren't rite and i want to get it sorted asap. The brakes are squealing like hell to the point i wanna blow my own brains out, so annoying so im gonna say i want them changed and the other is the sound on start up, sounds awful!. Chuggs away and sometimes sounds like it doesn't even want to start. any ideas?

So i think im going to take a list in with what everyone has mentioned here until they fix it lol. Besides it's be with them for 3 days already and they didn't fix it. Not a short journey either, plymouth to exeter so around 120 mile round trip!.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 03:48:04 pm »
Tis always the best to take a list in, especially if your warranty is due to run up coming up, had my 2nd visit back today because they didnt have all the parts to complete the job last week with reference to an odd steering knock from the front wheels i brought to their attention . Picked her up this afternoon after being given a kermit car for a day..................................................

to find that they have replaced both front shock absorbers, front springs and bearings to do with suspention turrets on the front. :surprised:

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 05:54:20 pm »
I had a similar issue - almost sounded like an air leak but turned out to be the alternator clutch pullley !

Changed under warranty - see here -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2622.msg39200#msg39200

Regards,

Gareth :happy2:

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 08:49:43 pm »
Has anyone noticed on their Gti before that if your sat with the engine running and you listen very carefully you can here slight ticking coming from the right side of the engine bay (stood at the front of the car) mine does this a fair bit, just wondering if this is something else to add to the list lol.

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 03:44:02 pm »
Hey guys just a quick check up if anyone has had this before or is getting this, as my car is in the garage at the moment and they have said thats just normal operation from the engine and you get those ticking noises. I just want to make sure this is definitely normal before i go on another 60mile journey and find it's still not rite.

Cheers