Make a donation

Author Topic: gti compard to the rest of its hot hatch class....  (Read 10387 times)

Offline Rich

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
Re: gti compard to the rest of its hot hatch class....
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 09:18:55 pm »
RS is stunning from the outside, the cheap plasticy interior kills it ! :sad1:

~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2009, 09:23:56 pm »
A remapped RS gets 340bhp and 397lbft straight off. It would be a close call between the two when both remapped as the ED30 is around 100kg lighter. Give the ED30 a DSG and I'd suspect thaat the ED30 would still be the quicker point to point car. :wink:
Totally agree John (and with Poverty).. Sorry CandyTurbo..  :wink:
The RS has been timed in many different tests now and and evrytime it is putting down 0-100mph times of around 14 secs, which is sloooooow for 300bhp (even if it is 1467kgs). As an comparison, I had mine timed by the same Racelogic V Box they used and ran a 11.1 sec 0-100mph. So would love to see what a mapped/TBE'd RS would do, but I think it would still struggle to shake off a DSG equipped Ed30 with the same mods, not to mention a Stage 2+ equipped one. As it was still behind the Mountune ST at 130mph when tested in EVO mag and that is 40bhp down on the RS.  :confused:
But as for a mapped ED30 vs Standard RS,  if both drivers are equal, in a straight line (obviously) the Ed30 should have the legs with reasonable ease. Same power and over 100kgs difference tells you that..  :wink:
Lovely car though, especially in white.. Really lloking forward to see what these Pumabuild / Jam Sport / Dream Science cars do when timed. But until they run a 12 sec 1/4 at Pod, i'll sleep ok for now..  :signLOL:
i m not a figures type i like a car for how it drives and feels , i dont want a dsg , i dont care how many tenths of a second to 60 quiker the car is all im saying is that a standard RS feels quicker than my mapped ed 30 with gears :wink:
and i agree the interior is pants , apart from the seats  :happy2:

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2009, 09:33:56 pm »
i ll ask my mate if he can make it to the next pod meet , that should be interesting  :grin:

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2009, 09:36:20 pm »
after looking at the r26 myself before going for the golf, apart from the only colour available seeming to be asbo yellow at the moment they dont quite meet the image of a golf gti.

i loved the seats in the r26, it has a LSD, after a map its 260bhp, xenon's are standard, along with cruise control AND its cheaper. But when you down the pub explaining this you feel like....had i bought the golf all i would have needed to say is, yea i drive a gti. :signLOL:
cheaper? how much is a golf? friend of mine paid 17 new, dont know where you lot get this mith from, yeah its cheap for what you get but not cheaper, as for explaining the image! sorry i may get slated for this but golf gtis are driven by reps!!!!cos there soft, ed 30 with map, brakes, suspension and diff is a golf! cant compare a gti to the meg, rant over.

BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 09:38:01 pm »
Yeah I appreciate that you may not take into account a few tenths here and there regarding performance of a car and focus more and how it drives and feels mate, as that is the most important thing when chosing a car after all. All I was trying to explain was that you said in your previous posts that the RS was by no means slower than a mapped Ed30 and if anything faster. Yet when it has been tested the times tell a different story.
I agree not everyone is in to 1/4 mile, 0-100 times etc. But the clock doesn't lie and a second or two difference on either test is a big difference on the road and when I say that I don't mean one will disappear into the hoizon difference. But it can be different as in a fair few car lengths etc, like say the difference between a standard GTI and standard Ed30 for example.. :wink:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:41:53 pm by Vtec Abuser »

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009, 09:39:07 pm »
after looking at the r26 myself before going for the golf, apart from the only colour available seeming to be asbo yellow at the moment they dont quite meet the image of a golf gti.

i loved the seats in the r26, it has a LSD, after a map its 260bhp, xenon's are standard, along with cruise control AND its cheaper. But when you down the pub explaining this you feel like....had i bought the golf all i would have needed to say is, yea i drive a gti. :signLOL:
cheaper? how much is a golf? friend of mine paid 17 new, dont know where you lot get this mith from, yeah its cheap for what you get but not cheaper, as for explaining the image! sorry i may get slated for this but golf gtis are driven by reps!!!!cos there soft, ed 30 with map, brakes, suspension and diff is a golf! cant compare a gti to the meg, rant over.

Xenons aren't standard on the R26 either..  :wink:

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2009, 09:40:56 pm »
forgot that bit! no there not.  :happy2:

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2009, 10:00:18 pm »
Yeah I appreciate that you may not take into account a few tenths here and there regarding performance of a car and focus more and how it drives and feels mate, as that is the most important thing when chosing a car after all. All I was trying to explain was that you said in your previous posts that the RS was by no means slower than a mapped Ed30 and if anything faster. Yet when it has been tested the times tell a different story.
I agree not everyone is in to 1/4 mile, 0-100 times etc. But the clock doesn't lie and a second or two difference on either test is a big difference on the road and when I say that I don't mean one will disappear into the hoizon difference. But it can be different as in a fair few car lengths etc, like say the difference between a standard GTI and standard Ed30 for example.. :wink:
i agree, ive seen the test results , it might be possible that my mates car is a fast one , it does happen look a tom s s3 , it does feel better than one i test drove when they were launched , have you driven one ? if not go get your self a test drive , a green one if poss  :grin: :happy2:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2009, 10:04:55 pm »
i agree, ive seen the test results , it might be possible that my mates car is a fast one , it does happen look a tom s s3 , it does feel better than one i test drove when they were launched , have you driven one ? if not go get your self a test drive , a green one if poss  :grin: :happy2:

Noise maybe play a part in it? Green is defintely the best colour

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2009, 10:31:38 pm »

Not sure if Tom has had his S3 on the rollers or not. But I don't think it's any quicker than any other S3 should be. Tom got good results at Inters, as he had Revo software, S tronic (DSG) box (4WD obviously) and the most important ingredient of all, a decent driver.. :wink:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2009, 02:07:49 pm »
i dont see the std RS coming close to a ed30 stage 2 or stage 3.

my car prior to the new map was only running 259bhp, 289Ibft and the focus that was in front of me at the barrier for the nurburgring didnt exactly drive away like i thought it would have. he did beat me hands down, but not anything like i thought he was going to, he was only pulling away from me slowly. Now ive got stage2+ it'd be even less. couldnt stay with him in the corners though :ashamed:

plus like someone said earlier, the stage 2 mountune eclipsed the RS and was 40bhp down.  A stage 3 ed30 is pushing out way more than me and would litterally just drive off from me.

do you lose a little more power from transmission losses as a result of the LSD maybe.

BTW id still have the RS everytime

Offline WhiteHartMart

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 02:14:53 pm »
I previously owned a Focus ST (remapped first with Dreamscience but then changed to Code: Red).  It had about 270bhp or so after that - was a lovely car which made a fantastic sound (even with just a sports cat) - plenty of gun shots that would make everyone look  :wink:

All that taken into account - it was nowhere near as nice to drive as my standard Ed30 - the Golf is so much more nimble feeling with much better steering imo.  My ST was lowered on Eibachs but still didn't put a grin on my face like the Ed30 - I guess having a 2.5 litre 5cyl up front has some disadvantages??

Would still love a blast in a RS though  :happy2:
Tornado Red 5dr Edition 30 - DSG, MFSW, Rear Parking Sensors, ipod connection, Carbon intake & ITG filter - go faster mods to follow!!!

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 05:57:33 pm »
never driven an st but the tuned one with an instructor on a closed ring did a 8min 30 btg in redline last month, thats pants, but that heavy engine will not help as said above. back to topic i think the golf is in a class of its own in the hot hatch class, softer and more refind than the competition, good idea really as there is no competition, matter of taste.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 09:40:46 am »
never driven an st but the tuned one with an instructor on a closed ring did a 8min 30 btg in redline last month, thats pants, but that heavy engine will not help as said above. back to topic i think the golf is in a class of its own in the hot hatch class, softer and more refind than the competition, good idea really as there is no competition, matter of taste.

thats not really pants though is it, iirc the meganne R26R record sits at 8:17, 13 seconds off and without a LSD