Make a donation

Author Topic: Fan Noise  (Read 3282 times)

Offline MP5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • CW Edition 30
    • Email
Fan Noise
« on: September 16, 2009, 05:37:27 pm »

Not had the Ed 30 long but have noticed after most journeys (except very short runs) that after turning the ignition off the fan (i think) continues for a short time..this is fairly audible inside the car and even louder if you are outside.. :confused:

It reminds me of the engines shutting down when youre on a plane..Not had this before on previous car (audi)

Is this normal or is the warranty card needed ??

Any advice greatly appreciated..thanks  :happy2:   
White GTI Edition 30.

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: Fan Noise
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 05:42:30 pm »
I've had that problem mate. It's more than likely that the units are screwed. I had mine replaced under warranty. It's an expensive job to pay for if out of warranty. Get it checked asap!

Offline MP5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • CW Edition 30
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 05:54:30 pm »

Right..just as well I asked  :scared:

Cheers for the prompt reply  :happy2: I'll get onto VW in the morning  :fighting:

I wonder if this is a common fault ??

White GTI Edition 30.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 06:04:42 pm »
I think it's pretty comon it happened on my mk4 too. Basically on the mk4, the resitors on the circuit board failed. Small component, big fook up. Anyway so what happens when the car gets a little warm, it turns on the big boys. Not the small fan. New units are required due to the intricate placement of the resistors. Ironically this problem was caused by excess heat. The resistors really need a seperate heatsink to disipate the heat better. One can only assume the same thing can happen on the mk5s

Offline cuzmk5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 08:51:12 pm »
Same thing is happening to mine. fan is really noisy and seems to be coming on a lot.  i had the same problem on my mk4 v6 4motion aswell. should be off 2 vw to get sort this weekend. (on warranty)

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 08:55:47 pm »
Aye it's a recognised problem so shouldn't have a problem getting the whole thing replaced. I assume there's been a technical buletin issued to all the dealers about it

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 03:05:34 pm »
mines done this since day 1, foook paying out though!!  :scared:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 03:30:28 pm »
It's more of an annoying thing really. I think I'm right in saying the engine is receiving adequate cooling. Just sounds like a battleship all the time

Offline MP5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • CW Edition 30
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 07:00:09 pm »

To update the thread, Ed 30 been into VW today and they have replaced the small fan motor (under warranty)  :smiley:

so i'm hoping that will stop the 'aircraft shutting down' noise after a decent run..fingers crossed  :happy2:
White GTI Edition 30.

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 01:35:51 pm »
I'm having the same problem with mine MP5. If you check out the general chat section on page 2 (Gti going back) i have added a video of mine with the fan running. Could you tell me if yours was the same as this. I have mine booked in for monday and they are keeping the car for a couple of days  :sad1:. I have only had the car just over a week and like others have said i want to get this sorted asap under warranty. Annoying as i absolutely love the car.

Offline MP5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • CW Edition 30
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 10:19:11 pm »
B-R,

Just watched your video and it does sounds very similar...VW had mine checked and within a couple of hours they agreed there was a problem with the cooling fans....

They ordered 2 new units as they were not sure which one had a problem and when they had it back for half a day they replaced the 'small fan unit' as it was not operating correctly

Seems to have cured the 'aircraft noise' but not been on a long run yet, so as said, fingers crossed  :smiley:

Hope you get yours sorted mate  :happy2: 
White GTI Edition 30.