Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil light came on :-(  (Read 3294 times)

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
Oil light came on :-(
« on: September 17, 2009, 08:37:16 pm »
Been a bit of a sh1t day in the Golf today :-(

1.  Tyre pressure sensor light came on this mornng. Filled up at the garage all Tyres at about 2.4 bar
     So no idea what all that was about.
2.  Coolant level light came on. Didn't look that low, but added water to nearly max lavel.
3.  Leeds to Manchester on M62 steady run car sounded a little rough, then just as I was exiting for Prestwich oil light came on.
     1l of oil got it to the correct level.
4.  Stopped off in Leeds.  Started up again and rear wiper stayed on.

Don't you just hate days like these.

Don't believe the dealers serviced the car properly 
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline gazbutS3

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
Re: Oil light came on :-(
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:03:11 pm »
You seem to have had nearly every mk5 GTI niggle in 1 day pal. They are all known issues,
the tyre low pressure system is inaccurate at the best of times and is known to throw up the odd random indication.
The 2.0T can use a bit of oil, some are worse than others but I'd keep an eye on it.
Folk have had issues with mysterious coolant loss myself included and then it just stops as quick as it started.
The rear wiper with a mind of its own is a known fault and usually a warranty issue.

I know non of this wil make you feel any better right now and I'd keep an eye on the coolant/oil issue but hopefully its nothing serious, I'd get it straight back to the dealer too :happy2:

Is the NC35 name a reference to your motorcycle tastes? :smiley:

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:26:33 pm »
First bike  :smiley:
did have an rc as well!!!! Sold it for nearly double what I paid. Sorry to brag.
Now got a little Monster 996 S4R
but yes the NC35 will always be my first love  :wink:

back to the Golf
not in warranty - so should I be worried or getting a warrant in place?
Hopefully going over to Mat Ed30 this weekend.
Making lots of noises (not helped by dunlops) wanted someone to have a look & listen.

Thanks for the reply.

Btw. You must be a biker to have known!
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:30:31 pm »
yep,always had a bike, RGV 1st proper bike, NC30, ZX6 etc got an old monster myself, 1 of the first aircooled 900's can't bring myself to sell it :smiley: have updated it a bit, suspension,brakes and exhausts :smiley:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:58:20 pm »
Had an NC30 Myself, couldn't stretch to the RVF. great bikes.
 :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:01:15 pm »
Have you changed the wheels or recently changed the tyre pressures?

The first time I had the car, I inflated the tyres to the correct pressures and got the light. Pressed the tyre pressure button and never got any problems after that.

The second time the light came up was after I changed from pescaras to monzas (straight swap, correctly inflated) and never had problems after that either.

No idea how long you had the car but in the first six months or so of driving, the car drank 1l of oil. After that, it's not needed a top up.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 10:46:45 pm »
If your coolant light comes on again, take off your undertray and have a look at the radiator.  I checked mine and the nearside corner had corroded and the coolant was dripping out.  These are also common on MK5 platform cars.

Sounds like your car was built on the same day as mine!
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 07:31:24 am »
Thanks for all your advice
Not even had the car three weeks yet!!!  Just wonder if I have got a lemon  :sad:

The car is:
May 05 2 owners (each for 2 years) last one a lady owner too....  Says she didn't even know what the "S" was for on the DSG.  Thought it was for snow  :signLOL:
Full main dealer service history to boot.

On the way home from Manchester (when I bought it) the tyre pressure light came on & most of the tyres were at ~ 1.6 BAR

Last service was just over 1K ago (I have put about 800 miles on)
Checked the car over when I got it.
The oil on the dip stick looks like its done 20K  :confused:
And the coolant was lowish, but not at the min mark...  it only took about 1/2 a bottle of water (300ml) to top it up.  Last of what I had to drink in the car.

So lets wait and see,  think I need a good independant in Leeds to give it the once over.  Even if its just to put my mind at rest.
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 02:56:51 pm »
Full main dealer service history to boot.

But is that the LongLife servicing, or Time and Distance?

On the way home from Manchester (when I bought it) the tyre pressure light came on & most of the tyres were at ~ 1.6 BAR

I don't know if youv'e been miss-informed, but the Golf does NOT have a 'Tyre Pressure Monitoring System'.  It is merely a flat tyre warning - which is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

The oil on the dip stick looks like its done 20K  :confused:

Get it changed for a fresh load of quality LL3 brew.

And the coolant was lowish, but not at the min mark...  it only took about 1/2 a bottle of water (300ml) to top it up.

Doesn't sound too bad.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 06:27:29 pm »
Hi TT

Thanks for the reply...

Servicing is T&D using either "oil" or castrol semi-synthetic.  Dealer invoices for you.

Thanks for the heads up on the Tyre Warning.  Still no idea why it should come on every now and then, the owners manual does suggest it warns of a tyre becoming under inflated, not flat.

Will do an oil change soon, as the car is out of warranty, suppose an aftermarket filter will be ok.  Been yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrs since I had to drop the oil from a car  :signLOL: I did in the old days get Fram filters.  Any suggestions on the brand of filter.
And any recommendations as to where to buy Castrol 'Powerflow SLX'???

Finally assuming the castrol semi-syntetic is ok with sludge inhibitors, I assume (the mother of all f@ckups I know) a flush will do no harm???

Final final note the local Bradford VW parts dept did say if I need these service parts they can sort out a discount.  So don't know if I should just get the bits there.  Then everything looks like a dealer service???

Thanks again for all the replies

Lee
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 06:36:57 pm »
Mines a May 05 build too, if you check the vehicle info on ETKA its probably a "Pre-Production" MY06 model.  I think they used these vehicles to test the MY06 modifications on as mine has been a right pain in the arse since I got it.

I used to work for one of the big motor factors and a lot of our trade customers told us genuine filters were cheaper than ours, plus on certain cars non genuine filters will set off the oil pressure light as they don't hold enough pressure.  I had this problem on my old Caddy van and one of my mates had this problem the other week with a Nissan Pathfinder.  The next owner of the car probably doesn't care what brand of filters were fitted, but I would much prefer a car to buy a car thats had genuine parts used on it.
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.