Make a donation

Author Topic: Lightroom 5 help.  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Lightroom 5 help.
« on: March 24, 2014, 01:46:50 pm »
I have recently succumb to the temptations of Lightroom over Aperture.
Everything has been straight forward so far, until yesterday i seemed to have lost some tools that sit below the picture. they are still there in library mode, but they have vanished in develop mode. The tools missing are nothing special and easy to work around i am just wondering why they have disappeared. The tools were an X and a Y in vertical rectangles which give a before and after preview of edits and a return to normal view button on the left of them, Oh! and on the bottom right there was a done button for when finished with edits.

But by far the biggest issue though is the quality of pictures when viewed back in the library. They were fine until yesterday and now if i look at them in develop mode all of the edits are clear. if i view the same picture in the Library a lot of the sharpening and noise reduction is not evident. A bit like a much lower quality image. The problem is i can only export from the poorer library image. 

all the import and export settings are correct and i haven't changed anything since the day before. ???

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Lightroom 5 help.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 01:58:55 pm »
I've only just started using Lightroom but there's a setting in the preferences for saving quality which default was around 60%.. so upped it to 100 ;)
Maybe something??

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 12:09:42 am »
I think it is a corrupted file Jay, been messing all day with it and had no joy.  :sick:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:40:06 pm »

I have recently succumb to the temptations of Lightroom over Aperture.

....I use Aperture but since getting into DSLR this year and then only shooting RAW, I am curious about Lightroom and if any particular reason made you change.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 12:55:29 am »
I have bought a full frame camera and a wide angle lens. Aperture has no lens distortion adjustments, well i tell a lie! it has a couple but not the main one to straighten converging lines. Since using Lightroom i have realised i have been editing my pictures with a Nissan Micra and now i have Hurdy's Golf R.  :driver:
The Radial feature and brush tool are superb.  I am a convert.  :pomppomp:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=mncf97mf4ooqcev9pgml05r600&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 12:59:10 am »
I never got on with Lightroom. I use aperture to catalogue and simple edits. PS for more work.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 08:59:44 am »
Word on the street is that Lightroom is "better" than Aperture but no-one seems to be able to qualify exactly why. Certainly Aperture is well due for a significant update and especially if it wants to compete with Lightroom.

I'm very lucky in that I got Aperture originally free (from Apple, not an illegal copy) and so in spite of my Adobe history I haven't moved to Lightroom.

As you both already know, Photoshop integrates well and can be launched within Aperture and doubtless Lightroom as well and saves back to Aperture so it works like a big plug-in.

I only tend to use Photoshop to apply background noise reduction (Imageonic Noiseware filter) and to resize and sharpen as the very final step.

Just as it is with lenses, there's no such thing as just one perfect photo editing software.

I hope you have solved your problem, TC. Adobe Lightroom help forum?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!