Make a donation

Author Topic: xenon's too high  (Read 4900 times)

Offline yorkie31

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
xenon's too high
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:16:09 pm »
 Hi, new member on here as just bought my mk5 gti, after some help. When driving the other evening i noticed my lights were far too low on the road when on main beam, then later on hit a small pothole and they shot upwards and then seemed to be blinding people !, they are oem xenons with auto adjust, could they just be sticking and need lowering or could it be a new sensor is needed ? thanks for anyone's help on this.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: xenon's too high
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 10:27:44 pm »
I suspect you've broken one of the levelling sensors under the car.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline yorkie31

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 01:03:56 pm »
Hi thanks for your reply, will have a good look underneath tomorrow, cheers

Offline Leigh200sx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 04:00:52 pm »
You can manually adjust the height the lights by using a 5mm Allen key directly onto the headlights. You Will see a white plastic Allen key on the rear of your headlight units...

Offline George10

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 06:20:39 pm »
If they don't manually adjust they've come off the ballast. Got the same issue with mine

Offline martin@gti.co.uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 11:40:37 am »
Dont think that your sensor will be damaged or out of range...otherwise the lights would go to lowest point..

Probably someone had the lights off and didnt align the beam properly.

Before adjusting them you have to plug in vag com, go to 55-xenon range, 04 basic adaptation, channel 01...then hit go..wait a while and adjust the height of the beam...idealy full fuel tank, handbrake off, you in drivers seat..

Then hit done..close...reopen 04 basic adaptation..type chanel 02 hit done and it shut display reg. Position learned..

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 06:42:49 pm »
 :happy2:
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline yorkie31

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 05:41:36 pm »
Thanks for all the advice, had the wheels off yesterday and the front sensor doesnt look in very good shape, rusty and seems to be hanging straight down loose ? or is it meant to be ? think this could be the problem

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 08:04:28 pm »
Thanks for all the advice, had the wheels off yesterday and the front sensor doesnt look in very good shape, rusty and seems to be hanging straight down loose ? or is it meant to be ? think this could be the problem

Should look like the third pic in this url http://www.swankmonkey.com/vw/jetta/2006/suspension/
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:01:46 pm »
Dont think that your sensor will be damaged or out of range...otherwise the lights would go to lowest point..

Before adjusting them you have to plug in vag com, go to 55-xenon range, 04 basic adaptation, channel 01...then hit go..wait a while and adjust the height of the beam...idealy full fuel tank, handbrake off, you in drivers seat..

Then hit done..close...reopen 04 basic adaptation..type chanel 02 hit done and it shut display reg. Position learned..

Good answer!

You can't just adjust the Xenons without going into this mode or you'll cause a fault.

Offline tlnds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 08:45:00 pm »

I was going round a blind corner and forced to go over some road kill (sorry badger) and my xenons are now really low..pointing down.. I adjusted them up a bit manually but its not high enough, shall I just plug it in vag com and try to reset them with it?

and would a sensor be likely to break from going over a flat badger?

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 10:48:45 pm »
I guess you broke a linkage on a sensor mate
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 03:39:23 pm »
If you have damaged a sensor then it would tell you on VCDS.
Try a reset... or go have a look at the car. Answer is on the car not the forum .  :signLOL: :signLOL:  :happy2:

Offline tlnds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 02:21:13 pm »
Had a look under there and have goosed the sensor  :scared: local indy is sorting it today