Make a donation

Author Topic: What is the point of going over 300bhp on a front wheel drive?  (Read 14675 times)

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
Re: What is the point of going over 300bhp on a front wheel drive?
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2014, 07:47:33 pm »
I must admitt I much prefer circuit driving rather than 1/4 sprints which I find boring and cruel to the car and transmission.

A good trackday is a far better representation of a car's ability as although sprinting gives a indication's of acceleration and outright power/weight advantage in a straight line. I get much more of a buzz pedaling against much more exotic machinery on a good track event.

I agree that a 400bhp Evo will wipe the floor against a Cupra to 100 mph.

Anyone seen Auto Express video review of the Golf R V Cupra R on circuit....very interesting.
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2014, 09:59:55 pm »
I must admitt I much prefer circuit driving rather than 1/4 sprints which I find boring and cruel to the car and transmission.

A good trackday is a far better representation of a car's ability as although sprinting gives a indication's of acceleration and outright power/weight advantage in a straight line. I get much more of a buzz pedaling against much more exotic machinery on a good track event.

Anyone seen Auto Express video review of the Golf R V Cupra R on circuit....very interesting.

Yeah I put a link on the main section and got moaned at by someone being sour cos a poor mans VW is actually quicker thank proper one lol

I am the same as you mate, 0-60 doesn't bother me. I never boot my car in first, I'd rather hoof it around a track than do 1/4 sprints. Yaaaaaawn
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2014, 12:04:30 am »

Yeah I put a link on the main section and got moaned at by someone being sour cos a poor mans VW is actually quicker thank proper one lol

I am the same as you mate, 0-60 doesn't bother me. I never boot my car in first, I'd rather hoof it around a track than do 1/4 sprints. Yaaaaaawn

There seems to be a fair majority of 1/4 supporters on here.....in fact there doesn't seem to be many users on this site unlike 3-4 yrs ago.....I note there is quite low activity and new posts on here....where have all the owners gone....MK6 nad now 7??

A few DSG owners on here doing some big turbo builds for 1/4 mile sprinting. Other than that there doesn't seem like of hardcore track enthusiasts like on other forums I could mention.
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2014, 01:04:13 am »

There seems to be a fair majority of 1/4 supporters on here.....in fact there doesn't seem to be many users on this site unlike 3-4 yrs ago.....I note there is quite low activity and new posts on here....where have all the owners gone....MK6 nad now 7??

A few DSG owners on here doing some big turbo builds for 1/4 mile sprinting. Other than that there doesn't seem like of hardcore track enthusiasts like on other forums I could mention.

True
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2014, 01:40:11 am »
I'm waiting till the engine is built before I go honing it on track. I probably visited most of the UK tracks for trackdays as well as Nurburgring and Spa visits in my old ED30. The R will be the same soon. :happy2:

Until then straight line sprints will do and they are the benchmark for performance. The Nurburgring is the benchmark for handling and that is on my radar.
Golf R gone.

Offline N8KOW

• Detailer - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 7
    • Kowalski Details
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2014, 06:19:16 am »
I'm going "Stage2+" on mine later this month, I will report my experinces.
IG: http://instagram.com/kowalskidetails
2014 Mk7 Golf R on Order...

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2014, 10:31:20 pm »
I find mine ok with big turbo and only had minimal chassis mods last time it was on the road without a quaife! over 300+ with k04 is more aggressive low down.. big turbo is smoother and more progressive
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:12:11 am by Pikey Motorsports »
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline N8KOW

• Detailer - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 7
    • Kowalski Details
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2014, 11:50:01 pm »
Depends on the mapping also?
IG: http://instagram.com/kowalskidetails
2014 Mk7 Golf R on Order...