Make a donation

Author Topic: Side Skirt options.  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
Side Skirt options.
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:04:53 am »
Unfortunately due to a small run in with some lorry parts on the road the other day I'm now missing 2 pretty large chunks of paintwork along the textured "stonechip" part of my door cill.

So I thought that the best way to deal with that is to probably get some side skirts, only problem is I've had everything else on my car colour coded so the normal GTI ones would look a bit rubbish I think.  Also the OEM R32 ones are so obscenely priced that it pretty much makes that option a non-starter.

So should I:

Buy some GTI ones and have a crack at smoothing them myself, then get them sprayed? (Never done anything like this any tips would be appreciated)

Buy GTI ones and have a bodyshop smooth them, probably at quite a high cost.

Buy non-OEM (ebay) R32 ones at the same price as the GTI ones and risk the fit being iffy.

Any input on what you guys have done would be much appreciated   :smiley:

Offline mtj2k

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 2
  • 1.4 TSi GT
Re: Side Skirt options.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 03:22:08 pm »
I've been racking my brains about the same thing; tempted to just try some of these [ebay]181303030321[/ebay] there's a majority of good feedback for them.

Otherwise, and if you cant find anyone breaking an R32, I would buy Genuine GTI, Smooth and prep but get a paintshop to do the coat and lacquer.

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 03:53:19 pm »
Yeah thats the Ebay ones I've been looking at too, they look ok but you can't ever really trust the pictures.

I doubt I'll find anyone breaking an R32 in my colour (Graphite blue) as I've never even seen one haha I had the same trouble trying to source a R32 rear bumper.

Might take a drive down to TPS at the weekend and see what they say regarding prices/ease of fitting.

Offline mtj2k

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 2
  • 1.4 TSi GT
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 12:58:24 pm »
Let me know ;)

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 01:03:38 pm »
From a dealers or TPS te r32 rear is quite reasonable. The r32/ed30 side skirts were £293 per skirt a few years ago

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 01:35:02 pm »
My local bodyshop has quoted me £150 the pair for prep, smoothing and paint, plus reapplying some 3M tape to them for me.

Thats if I remove them and take them in loose.

Si

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 06:02:16 pm »
150 for all of that isn't too bad I guess, I'd be buying fresh ones as I own a TDI so I don't need to allow for removal which I've heard can be tricky.

For the sake of £30 though I might buy one and have a crack myself, if nothing else it'll be an experience haha.