Make a donation

Author Topic: Michelin Pilot Super Sports  (Read 55149 times)

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
Re: Michelin Pilot Super Sports
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2015, 08:11:31 pm »
Very. They were a tiny bit squirrelly on the way home from work under full bore acceleration this morning, but it was 0.5°, so I forgive them! Almost faultless otherwise...

Offline Hevoshullu

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2015, 10:22:13 am »
Oh man, I've been reading up on this thread and I want these tyres badly on my GTI too... I'm running the F1 Asymmetric 2's now and they are much too soft for my liking. The damn F1's just will not wear down at all!  :grin:

Just wondering how are people finding the wear on the PSS compared to say the F1 or PS3? And which one is the type of choice, the 88Y or the 92Y on the PSS's?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:24:54 am by Hevoshullu »

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2015, 10:29:05 am »
Oh man, I've been reading up on this thread and I want these tyres badly on my GTI too... I'm running the F1 Asymmetric 2's now and they are much too soft for my liking. The damn F1's just will not wear down at all!  :grin:

Just wondering how are people finding the wear on the PSS compared to say the F1 or PS3? And which one is the type of choice, the 88Y or the 92Y on the PSS's?

Loadindex for the golf 5 has to be 92, so they are the ones to go for.
regarding wear my first set (235/35-19") lasted 3 years and 2 track days which is fantastic by my standard

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline JP

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2015, 02:37:57 pm »
Defo next tyres for me.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2015, 06:55:31 pm »
Just done a very wet track day on these (all 4 wheels) and a cupra which normally does same times as me in the dry was more than 10 seconds slower per lap (my laps was 1.34 on a very wet Jyllandsringen) He was running Michelin Pilot sport Cup 1 and 2's.
Those observing thought i was 4wd due to the grip and cornering speed achieved  :happy2:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2015, 07:05:45 pm »
10 seconds is night and day Jake, jeebus  :surprised:

Hail the PSS in that situation  :driver:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline HandyAndy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • MkV Golf GTs 140
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2015, 07:25:37 pm »
My apologies, I'm referring to pilot sport 3 tyres, sorry for the confusion  :rolleye:

I've just had 2 of these pilot super sport 3's fitted to the front of the GTs. I got back from a Costco shopping trip yesterday to find I had a flat on the rear nearside,  :surprised: I had been alerted to the two screws in that tyre but they looked super embedded to be worried about. Having had the Michelin premacy 3 fitted at the New Year and having only done circa 10,000 miles on them, I decided I needed something better.

I called Costco and they quoted £87.50 per corner, but as its quite a way to go, I decided to call around. Kwick fit quoted me £145.00 per corner and I ask him to reconsider as Costco quoted as above. He came back with £90 each based on having two fitted. It was a shame really as the Yokohama advan sport tyres fitted had loads of tread but were starting to perish in the treads. I just hope these are as grippy as the premacy 3's but last longer.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the work the KF lads did, went for a run to the stable and no vibrations on the steering wheel.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:31:02 pm by HandyAndy »

United grey - Mk5 GTs [140] TDI on a 08 reg.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2015, 07:47:33 pm »
I've just had 2 of these pilot super sport 3's fitted to the front of the GTs. I got back from a Costco shopping trip yesterday to find I had a flat on the rear nearside,  :surprised: I had been alerted to the two screws in that tyre but they looked super embedded to be worried about. Having had the Michelin premacy 3 fitted at the New Year and having only done circa 10,000 miles on them, I decided I needed something better.

I called Costco and they quoted £87.50 per corner, but as its quite a way to go, I decided to call around. Kwick fit quoted me £145.00 per corner and I ask him to reconsider as Costco quoted as above. He came back with £90 each based on having two fitted. It was a shame really as the Yokohama advan sport tyres fitted had loads of tread but were starting to perish in the treads. I just hope these are as grippy as the premacy 3's but last longer.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the work the KF lads did, went for a run to the stable and no vibrations on the steering wheel.

There's no such tyre as a Pilot "Super" sport 3. It's either a Pilot super sport or a pilot sport 3. This tread is about the Pilot super sport  :happy2:

Offline HandyAndy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • MkV Golf GTs 140
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2015, 08:34:28 pm »

There's no such tyre as a Pilot "Super" sport 3. It's either a Pilot super sport or a pilot sport 3. This tread is about the Pilot super sport  :happy2:

Apologies, edited above. I must have been having a moment, the car has cost a fortune this weekend   :sad1::signIWS:

United grey - Mk5 GTs [140] TDI on a 08 reg.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2015, 09:55:05 pm »

Apologies, edited above. I must have been having a moment, the car has cost a fortune this weekend   :sad1::signIWS:

No worries, it's just that the PS3 aren't in the same league as the PSS. So no relevance in this tread  :smiley:, They are neither with dual compound nor with Twaron as the PSS are  :smiley:

Offline patpong_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2015, 10:45:00 pm »
so on fwd cars
pss on front
ps3 on the back

or super sports all round

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=gpq4jimgu4dv3f5lvtha8kc3k7&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2015, 12:37:25 am »
so on fwd cars
pss on front
ps3 on the back

or super sports all round

SS all round

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2015, 11:32:37 pm »
Iv had the super sports fitted all round now for about 3 months , I like the turn in feel and oddles of grip, even on a recent trackday they didn't go off when pushed hard

Offline snowfree52

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2015, 10:39:58 am »
how many miles do you guys manage with those tyres ? are they any good in the wet ?

Offline edd30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2015, 10:51:31 am »
they're brilliant in the wet, they hang on well, when they do let go, they're progressive. I got 8000 miles out of a set, rotated.
Have them on my new car too, but the camber is more aggressive and they're staggered so I can't swap them around.