Make a donation

Author Topic: TyreSure Wireless Monitor - Review....  (Read 21121 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
TyreSure Wireless Monitor - Review....
« on: October 17, 2009, 01:21:59 am »

It's very easy to dismiss this gadget as something totally unnecessary and certainly not worth spending money on. However, although it's not an essential it offers more than what at first meets the eye.

WHAT IS IT?

A wirelessly operated Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Also known as a TPMS - With digital display. It constantly displays either tyre pressure and temperature in either bar/psi and degrees Celsius/Fahrenheit and you easily toggle switch between them. After setting your own thresholds an audible alert and red light warning for the individual wheel is automatically activated.

WHY BUY ONE?

No matter how powerful or extensively modified your car is, the only point of contact it has with the road are four individual patches of tyre, each no bigger than a CD disc. Not so much a problem among the performance car drivers, but it's very scary indeed the large number of drivers who neither check their tyres' condition nor their tyre pressures. They are an accident waiting to happen. Being aware of the pressure and temperature of your tyres can only be welcome and a good assistant.

If you regularly do trackdays I'd go as far as saying that this a must-have gadget. I recently did my first trackday at Spa Francorchamps and was lucky enough to have instruction. The first question the instructor asked me was how were my tyres. But, apart from trackdays it feels very reassuring to be able to see how your tyres are by just a quick glance at the display. It's also quite fascinating to see how tyre temperatures change as the system automatically updates itself every few seconds, but I expect that novelty will wear off.

Next time a wheel nut comes adrift as it did with friend Hurdy at the Nordschleife, if the wheel goes off in leaps and bounds over the nearest hedge or armco, at least you'll know which wheel you've lost!

An additional safety alert would result from tyres becoming too hot due to a problem such as worn bearings. I assume that if you were unfortunate enough to have a problem on more than one wheel, the system would alert you accordingly.

ALTERNATIVES:

TPM systems are being increasingly adopted by car manufacturers but they merely inform you of a problem existing and not which tyre and not the extent of the problem. It's far cheaper to use a good quality hand monitor to check pressures but you need to do so very regularly come rain or shine. You can say that the TyreSure kit is a luxury and indeed it is, but it's a very welcome luxury and more importantly helps keep you safe.

SOURCING:

Web: Revolution247

Phone: 0845 002 3000 - Keith Tyler (General Manager)

Email: keith@revolution247.com

Price: £179 inc vat but exc shipping (check with supplier).

Longstanding forum member 'The wheel man' (Ben) is the main UK importer and is more than happy to answer any queries.

INSTALLATION:

A wireless transmitter sensor is installed in each tyre. The sensor valves need replacing when the tyres are replaced but they cost less than £4 each. The display unit can either be powered via the onboard 12v socket or hardwired. I chose to hardwire mine so it automatically fires up with the ignition. The installation instructions are all there but their print is tiny and the whole booklet seems more complicated than it needs to be.

When you rotate or change tyres, the system allows the sensors to be re-synchronised appropriately. Again, not that simple to work out first time but at least it's a useful capability.

You set your own high/low thresholds for warnings - red light and audible - to be activated. For now I'm inclined just to regularly monitor the display visually but will program my high/low settings later.

^ No holes drilled - The wiring is tucked in the flexible plastic sides of the console ^

Mine is hardwired to be automatically active on ignition - Yet another startup beep!

Please note that if you hardwire by keeping the supplied 12v male insert and not cutting it off (sensible to keep for the future), then make sure it's deeply set into the female socket and also taped up well. If not, power can get cut off to the TyreSure display, as happened to me.

Note that the display looks very bright while driving at night and so this may limit where you locate the unit. Mine is hidden from view by my forearm while driving (always both hands on the wheel at 'quarter-to-three' position but I just lift my elbow and can then see the displayed values very easily.

PLUS POINTS:

- Constantly displays useful information to increase awareness, and therefore improve safety.

- Constantly displays tyre pressure and temperature in either bar/psi and degrees Celsius/Fahrenheit.

- Can automatically display pressures and temperatures in turn about every 5 seconds.

- Audio alerts according to your presets.

- Compact unit with high visibility colour screen.

MINUS POINTS:

- Relatively expensive.

- Tedious printed manual and installation instruction booklet.

- No cradle attachment supplied and so limited display positions in the car.

- A brightly lit display means that display positions may be limited.

SUMMARY:

A very stylish and functional product which improves safety significantly and, very importantly, makes you feel safer. Once you are used to it you may wonder how you managed without it.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 06:57:25 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: TyreSure Wireless Monitor - Review....
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 09:28:10 am »
 :congrats:

Awesome write-up RR. This is something I was seriously considering as I'm one of those people who check tyre pressures religiously. Except I find by checking, I've let a little air out so have to bring out thr foot pump and reinflate the 0.5 or 1psi so pressures are dead on.

The main reasons I held back were because of its perceived luxury (not too difficult to check pressures), visibility (need it to be easily hidden from thieves) and positioning (needs to be in a place wgere its not too intrusive but can be seen with a glance).

How do you find using it in practice? Especially given that it's not within your normal field of vision so you have to turn your head? This is the main thing I don't like about the rns - I have to take my eyes off the road for too long to see where I'm supposed to go next. 

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 10:09:10 am »
very nice RR
you got a pic of the sensor? I assume its located in the rubber valve bit? how long does the battery in it last?
I like it a lot , but know that I couldnt have the 4 wheel  psi readings showing +/- 1 out   :signLOL: so Id be forever adjusting them...
whats the readings at a track day ?? can you see the front/rear go up differently?
 :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 02:08:51 pm »
:congrats:

Awesome write-up RR. This is something I was seriously considering as I'm one of those people who check tyre pressures religiously. Except I find by checking, I've let a little air out so have to bring out the foot pump and reinflate the 0.5 or 1psi so pressures are dead on.

....This is why I haven't set my warning thresholds yet - I am surprised to occasionally see a tiny variation in the tyre pressures but they quickly settle back to the same reading. I'll try psi because the numeric value increments are possibly more accurate than bar.

The main reasons I held back were because of its perceived luxury (not too difficult to check pressures), visibility (need it to be easily hidden from thieves) and positioning (needs to be in a place where its not too intrusive but can be seen with a glance).

....Regarding 'visibility'/security, the display unit can be attached using velcro and so can be easily unplugged and removed.

Regarding positioning, there are several places it could be attached by using velcro. One position I considered was in the bottom of the rev counter as you don't need to see the needle register less than 500 revs and neither does it max out (or you've then got other more pressing problems!). Surprisingly it almost looked oem because the thin aluminium surround matches the oem dials. But I decided that the lit display would be too strong.

Consequently I have positioned it next to the handbrake - Yes, I have to look down but a very quick glance is all that's needed and not often (until I am used to it!). I would not wish to alter settings while in motion.

How do you find using it in practice? Especially given that it's not within your normal field of vision so you have to turn your head? This is the main thing I don't like about the rns - I have to take my eyes off the road for too long to see where I'm supposed to go next. 

....It's early days in my using it, but I only have to move my eyes rather than my whole head. For the same reason you mention, my SatNav (built-in Alpine) is fitted in the upper position so it remains in my normal driving sightline and everything is still in my peripheral vision. I assume that "rns" means Route Navigation System.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 02:39:25 pm »
very nice RR

you got a pic of the sensor? I assume its located in the rubber valve bit? how long does the battery in it last?

I like it a lot , but know that I couldnt have the 4 wheel  psi readings showing +/- 1 out   :signLOL: so Id be forever adjusting them...

whats the readings at a track day ?? can you see the front/rear go up differently?

....My VW dealer has his own tyre bay and I wasn't there when they fitted the sensors. I'm adding a pic of just the valve and sensor unit to my original review post above.

Battery is stated to last 7 years.

Most unfortunately, because I wanted to Zaino coat my OZ's before tyres were fitted, my tyre fitting was delayed until only the day before leaving for Nurburgring and my trackday at Spa. I didn't want to rush my decision as to where to hardwire the TyreSure display and we then discovered that the front 'ashtray' 12v socket is a different size than the one in the boot! It's smaller and so I couldn't temporarily plug in my TyreSure to use it. Apparently some Golfs have different size sockets instead of them being universal - Not very Germanically organised! I've now had my front 12v socket changed.

However, in spite of not fully testing it on a trackday (yet!), I can report that the rear tyres take longer to warm up than the fronts and also that even driving fast on an A-road the temperatures don't rise as quickly as you might expect ("Well, Officer, Sir, I was testing my tyre temperatures"). The temps registered very much matched to axle pairs. Next week I have a 500-mile round trip and will report what I see.

I think that tyre temps may be according to tyre rubber type as well and I plan to talk to Goodyear Technical about this next week too.

Hurdy will be out testing his TyreSure on Snake Pass aka The English Nurburgring, and so he will have useful info to report as well.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 07:06:07 pm »
Great review as usual Robin :happy2:

Mine is up and running, but isn't hardwired in yet. At first it is quite unnerving watching the temps and pressures alter as you drive the car. The fact that the readings are dynamic is an excellent feature and gives great feedback on how the wheels/tyres are performing under any conditions. My tyre temps went up over 20oC and pressures by 4-5psi after just a small "spirited" run, which was surprising, but I'm told normal. :smiley:

Yes they are a luxury item, but one that I believe will be well worth it over the coming winter months. Others will be checking their tyres in the damp and cold, whilst with this little gem you can simply fire up the car and check from the comfort of the driving seat without losing that little bit of pressure at each check too. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 07:46:09 pm »
^^^^
It'll be very interesting, and useful for you John, to see the info the TyreSure gives you for quarter-mile sessions.

It does sound as if this mod is one which we'll grow to appreciate and like more and more.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 11:01:50 pm »
Great Review RR!  :congrats:

I'd like this little 'gadget' but I fear with the amount of wheels I have and wheel changes I tend to make during the course of the year it could turn out to be expensive. Or alternatlively I get three sets!  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 10:31:42 am »
^^^^
Nath, I'm wondering that it's probably possible to buy just the 4 valve+battery units. In which case you could buy extra sets - One set per set of rims and the display would simply recieve data from whichever rims you put on the car. You'd doubtless have to reset as you do for tyre changes/rotation, but that's easy (once you've mastered the instructions!).

I think I'll ask Ben/Keith about this - It would be useful for people to know.

:happy2: 8) :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 10:40:57 am »

Just had an interesting thought: What happens when two cars, both with their own TyreSure's installed, are parked next to each other (Hurdy and me) - Do the display units get confused?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 01:46:03 pm »
I suspect the transponder in the wheels have a frequenct that's tied to the receiving head unit much like the remote locking on your car using the key fob.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 10:42:46 am »

Just had an interesting thought: What happens when two cars, both with their own TyreSure's installed, are parked next to each other (Hurdy and me) - Do the display units get confused?

Fear not RR, each sensor has a unique ID in its signal so you could have 5, 10 or 1000 cars all next each other without any interferance....

^^^^
Nath, I'm wondering that it's probably possible to buy just the 4 valve+battery units. In which case you could buy extra sets - One set per set of rims and the display would simply recieve data from whichever rims you put on the car. You'd doubtless have to reset as you do for tyre changes/rotation, but that's easy (once you've mastered the instructions!).

I think I'll ask Ben/Keith about this - It would be useful for people to know.

:happy2: 8) :happy2:

Seperate sensors can be purchased but like RR said, to use these with a single display they will need to be programmed in each time they are swapped over.
Great review as usual Robin :happy2:

Mine is up and running, but isn't hardwired in yet. At first it is quite unnerving watching the temps and pressures alter as you drive the car. The fact that the readings are dynamic is an excellent feature and gives great feedback on how the wheels/tyres are performing under any conditions. My tyre temps went up over 20oC and pressures by 4-5psi after just a small "spirited" run, which was surprising, but I'm told normal. :smiley:

Yes they are a luxury item, but one that I believe will be well worth it over the coming winter months. Others will be checking their tyres in the damp and cold, whilst with this little gem you can simply fire up the car and check from the comfort of the driving seat without losing that little bit of pressure at each check too. :happy2:

The difference in temperature / pressure at this time of year is MUCH slower than in the summer months.  I would expect that a 30 - 40 min drive in the summer (ambient 20 / 25 degrees) would result in tyre temps to get to 40 degrees, more on the twisty stuff....  Its surprising to see the temp drop once in rain also, ive had a temp of around 35 on a motorway and within 20 mins in the rain this has dropped to 25.  doesnt mean much but still interesting to watch none the less.

the main benefit to this system was the pressures.  I needed to top up pressures on all 4 tyres once a month to keep them within 3psi of my settings (i run ran on the high setting for a laden vehicle as i found the car ligher in its toes)

The main reasons I held back were because of its perceived luxury (not too difficult to check pressures), visibility (need it to be easily hidden from thieves) and positioning (needs to be in a place wgere its not too intrusive but can be seen with a glance).

I went for the position below the rev counter as i found it too distracting in the previous place (In the ash tray)

At night i diddnt find the display too bright so thats were it stayed.  I also chose not to hardwire the system in, with a little positioning the wire was hidden from view so this ment that when leaving the car anywhere i could store the unit in the glove box.
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 12:03:18 pm »
I decided against that position Ben. Mainly because I tend to use the rev counter visually a lot and the wire covers the time buttons (which I'll need in about 5 days time) :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 12:44:02 pm »
^^^^
Thanks for that very useful info, Ben :drinking:

Although mine is hardwired and active on ignition, I can unplug and remove the display. No holes have been drilled for my installation.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:47:30 pm by RedRobin »

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 03:11:12 pm »
does the wire just charge a battery?

nice review robin