Make a donation

Author Topic: Loss of MPG  (Read 5814 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Loss of MPG
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 08:35:06 pm »
I was gonna start a new thread, but if i can use this related one:-

Ok, so i've done approx 400 miles in mine since purchase. My daily commute is 10 miles each way - 2 miles to motorway and a mile after coming off motorway. I seem to be getting around 30mpg although i'm having to drive abit "grannyish" to achive this.

I appreciate that its getting colder and after 10 miles the car's only just warmed up. So is 30mpg about right?

30 sounds about right to me. We each drive a bit different and not all GTI's give the same figures i get about 30 when tootling about.  :happy2:

And back to the original post. The weather has not got cold at all yet, the temps were high in September making the last week or 2 feel colder but actually still very warm at  12 to 15c.
Also you can have PCV probs without noticing a loss in power.  :smiley:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 08:49:24 pm »

I appreciate that its getting colder and after 10 miles the car's only just warmed up. So is 30mpg about right?

Yes, if you inner city comute mainly, expect alot less (low 20's)Motorways average like Quality D said, expect mid to later 30's at law abiding speeds.
But 30 is roughly what expect with 99 octane fuel, if you dont live in the city or mainly sit in traffic cues for the most part.

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 02:30:18 pm »
Well guys i have definitely noticed a drop in mine also! Maybe the dealers do something! as i have only just got mine back from them as well. Before the car went in i was getting (driving like a little old women) around 37mpg, i even pushed 41mpg at one point (on a hill, with the car turned off)  :jumping: that was a joke by the way lol. But since having the car back i have only managed to reach 34mpg and that was honestly tough. It's getting better though so maybe it does kind of reset itself?

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 02:41:41 pm »
Well guys i have definitely noticed a drop in mine also! Maybe the dealers do something! as i have only just got mine back from them as well. Before the car went in i was getting (driving like a little old women) around 37mpg, i even pushed 41mpg at one point (on a hill, with the car turned off)  :jumping: that was a joke by the way lol. But since having the car back i have only managed to reach 34mpg and that was honestly tough. It's getting better though so maybe it does kind of reset itself?
If you are free coasting I hope it was a manual and not a DSG!  :surprised:

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 03:00:50 pm »

Yep DSG, what's wrong with that??  :wink:. Only kidding mate and nope no coasting going on here!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 03:22:12 pm »
Climatic conditions, alot cooler weather, will run more richer.

Cooler weather wont alter the mixture once the cat is at normal operating temps.  :wink:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 03:25:23 pm »

Yep DSG, what's wrong with that??  :wink:. Only kidding mate and nope no coasting going on here!

If you coast in a DSG (or any auto transmission), you risk causing serious damage due to lack of lubrication.  You can also confuse the mechatronics too.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 03:28:24 pm »
^^does the Cat comunicate to the ecu to tell it what air fuel Ratio to give depending on atmospheric temp? (lamda sensor?)

Im a tad confused because cooler intake temps will alter ratio.

My 3 GTi's have all been run slightly worse for economy on colder days.

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 03:34:24 pm »
Since my OP and two tanks of Vpower my economy has almost returned to how it was before, so as Dom said i think it takes some time to recalculate everything, maybe as Phil mentioned the cold temps have delayed that process?
Or as sean said they havent??
 :scared:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 03:56:38 pm »
^^does the Cat comunicate to the ecu to tell it what air fuel Ratio to give depending on atmospheric temp? (lamda sensor?)

The cat itself doesn't communicate with the ECU, but the pre and post catalyst lamba sensors do communicate with the ECU.  And, with the exception of the cat warm up phase (where the engine runs at WOT, and includes a fuel injection pulse on the exhaust stroke, which then gets burn in the actual cat), the engine ECU will aim to run at a lambda value of 1.0 all the time - hot day or cold.

The actual mixture will always be closest to 'stoichometric' - ie, 14.7 parts air to one part fuel (by weight) - when the engine is at normal operating temperature.  All cooler air intake temperature will do is alter the density, or 'weight per volume' of air.  But an identical number of V Power molecules will still burn with an identical number of oxygen molecules. <where is the 'nerd' icon?>

The only reason cars use more fuel in the winter is down to two simple issues

• the engine will take longer to heat up, and will over fuel the catalyst for slightly longer
  • you will be using more 'electricals' such as headlamps, heated rear windows and heated mirrors, seat heaters, fan blowers, wipers etc - which all need 'fuel'

Does this make it clearer
------

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 05:44:13 pm »

• the engine will take longer to heat up, and will over fuel the catalyst for slightly longer
  • you will be using more 'electricals' such as headlamps, heated rear windows and heated mirrors, seat heaters, fan blowers, wipers etc - which all need 'fuel'

Exactly what i thought cooler/colder days would result in more fuel burned.

and the scientific Bit was wayabove my knowledge on engines.

cheers shaun for taking the time to answer mate  :drinking:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 05:51:53 pm »

Exactly what i thought cooler/colder days would result in more fuel burned.

and the scientific Bit was wayabove my knowledge on engines.

cheers shaun for taking the time to answer mate  :drinking:

You're welcome.  :smiley:  :happy2:
------

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 01:28:38 pm »

I can understand this, but how much does this actually equate to in mpg - is it possible to measure this in isolation, ie for each item - headlights only, heated seats only etc
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 11:51:13 pm »
Sorry to revive a old thread, just been debating the MPG with a fellow GTI owner. My commute to work is a 6 miles trip there. 90% of it is in the city. At the end of the journey I'm probably on about 21mpg. Not sure if that sounds about right? Car is standard with no mods done about 120k miles. PCV has been changed and no other issues in the running of the car.

On another point, does anyone have any tried and tested recommendations on things to do to improve mpg? Eg cleaning out the injectors etc

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 08:30:53 am »
I'd say you're just overthinking it and you're watching the mpg like a hawk. The drop in temperature the past few weeks caused around a 5mpg loss on mine, combine that with maybe driving against high winds and air pressure and you could account for a good drop.

Wait for a warm enough day, drive the motorway at 80km/hr and if it doesn't hit the high 30's after a good distance then look into it further!