Make a donation

Author Topic: No Air Con & Noisy Rad Fans  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
No Air Con & Noisy Rad Fans
« on: May 21, 2014, 04:02:42 pm »
 :scared:

Hi All

I'm after some advice on the latest issue with the ED30.
A few days ago I noticed the rad fans were much noisier than usual after only a very short journey (sounds like a spitfire)! At the weekend I took her out for a long drive and noticed the air com was only blowing warm air. I presume the two issues are related.
I've done a fair bit of research both on here and elsewhere on the web and am now bricking it that it's going to be the all to common compressor failure and cost thousands to rectify.
I'd read somewhere that the smaller of the 2 rad fans stops working if this is the case though - I've checked tonight and both fans do appear to be operating though? Really Noisey though!
Checked the aircon again today and it seemed like on its "low" setting it may have been working slightly - nothing like it should though.
I'm taking it for a re-gas tomorrow but wanted some opinions/ ideas first if anyone has experienced similar issues.
I spent 300 quid on the car 2 weeks ago due to a snapped suspension spring, am having loads of issues with the boot filling with water (again - suggestion would be greatly appreciated). Have had the DV and PCV replaced in the past 6 months (3k miles) - I'm falling out of love with my gti!
Cheers for any help anyone can offer

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: No Air Con & Noisy Rad Fans
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 04:04:11 pm »
Quick update....
 Took the car to the indy today who had a glance over it - couldnt really hear how noisy the fans were as the alarm was going off in the unit next door but plugged it into VDCS and it was saying the aircon pressue was low and also a probable issue with a pressure switch. They advised me to go get it re-gassed and to take it from there.
Took it to be re-gassed and confirmed it had a leak coming from potentially the pipe that goes into the compressor but would need to take the front of the car off to have a look. Said would probably be about £300 to replace leaking pipe..... But then no guarentee that would resolve the issue as can't test the compressor untill the leak has been fixed. Also said this would account for the noisy rad fans?

Starting to look like a right money pit - Any advise/Help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers