Make a donation

Author Topic: broken cam belt  (Read 1433 times)

Offline bower

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
broken cam belt
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:21:22 am »
hi just after a bit of advice about my brothers passat. on trying to start his car the cam belt sheered a tooth and siezed the engine and just wondered if the engine is repairable with him just trying to start it and not doing 70mph? i know its not a golf but its a vw so wondered if anyone has had any experience of this happening to them and whats involved as a diy project. thanks

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: broken cam belt
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:37:19 am »
A tricky one. Sounds like it has moved more than just the missing tooth. If it has seized then there is the high probability that the pistons and valves are shagged, hitting each other as timing is out.
Golf R gone.

Offline bower

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:56:51 am »
he kept on trying to start it before he realised what had happened.
valves are only £6 each but like u said the pistons are maybe knackered. not sure whether to waste time stripping or just scrap it

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:10:18 am »
2.0TDI?

Something similar just happened to my mate, the tensioner stud pulled out the head so the cambelt came off, he was doing about 40mph.

He was very lucky, because of the design of the head/valves etc the pistons smashed the valves up and it just snapped all the rockers. Every valve is sweet as is the head, he just fitted new rockers and a new belt.

Like Hurdy said though if the engine isn't moving at all it sounds a bit more terminal :(
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline bower

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 09:21:41 am »
no its a 2l petrol
yeah im starting to think its goin to be to much work and beyond my capabilities