Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice for standard brakes please  (Read 1339 times)

Offline B6NVW

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Advice for standard brakes please
« on: June 29, 2014, 04:20:09 pm »
Hi guys,

Today my check brake pad light came on.

Now my question is, is it worth paying a bit more for some drilled and grooved discs or will standard be more than enough with some decent pads?

I know the best option would be a brake upgrade but im not in a position to do that right now.

Any advice would be great as ive had a search but still none the wiser.

Black GTI | DSG with Paddle Shift | Xenons |
Heated Leather | SatNav | MFSW | Parking Sensors

Offline asht42

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Advice for standard brakes please
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 04:58:12 pm »
All depends on how you drive, and what you want from the car?

Standard brakes are ok but even with upgraded brake lines and fluid I still find mine under powered on standard discs and pads when I give them some stick, had a few very close calls  :scared:

Offline mrzed

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 05:09:40 pm »
Have you visually checked your pads first? as mine came on the other week so i checked the wiring on the sensor (as read on here) and the wire had broke, once i'd soldered it back together my light went off  :smiley:

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 05:17:44 pm »
What MrZed said.

In most cases when the check brake light comes on it is usually a break in the pad wear sensor wire however check the pads first as they might actually be work.

Not a massive fan of drilled and grooved pads as in my opinion they are more style over function.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline B6NVW

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 05:22:18 pm »
All depends on how you drive, and what you want from the car?

Standard brakes are ok but even with upgraded brake lines and fluid I still find mine under powered on standard discs and pads when I give them some stick, had a few very close calls  :scared:

I only really drive it at the weekend (works van in the week) and often with the kids and mrs but do have the odd spirited drive when on my own. Tbh I have thought the brakes seem a little underpowered at times. Especially as I have dsg so when cruising in auto lack the help from the engine as it doesnt change down as early as you would in a manual.

Maybe Its worth the better discs amd pads if im going to do it then.

Have you visually checked your pads first? as mine came on the other week so i checked the wiring on the sensor (as read on here) and the wire had broke, once i'd soldered it back together my light went off  :smiley:

Not yet, something I will be doing before making any decisions. But thanks for that ill make sure I check the wire.

Black GTI | DSG with Paddle Shift | Xenons |
Heated Leather | SatNav | MFSW | Parking Sensors