Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info  (Read 28483 times)

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 01:50:04 pm »
1540+kgs!!!!!! And that's for a 3dr I assume too. So 5dr DSG Golf R will be touching 1600kgs  :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:
That's frankly laughable, especially as VW were quoted as saying it was going to be a good deal lighter than the existing R32.. Errrrrr.... Doesn't look like it..  :confused:
I'm bordering on being embarrassed to be a VW owner in regards to this car with it's weight and frankly ridiculous pricing. Imagine the laughs that the owners of other hot hatch marques will be having on their forums..  :grin:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:54:43 pm by Vtec Abuser »

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 02:33:47 pm »
1540+kgs!!!!!! And that's for a 3dr I assume too. So 5dr DSG Golf R will be touching 1600kgs  :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:
That's frankly laughable, especially as VW were quoted as saying it was going to be a good deal lighter than the existing R32.. Errrrrr.... Doesn't look like it..  :confused:
I'm bordering on being embarrassed to be a VW owner in regards to this car with it's weight and frankly ridiculous pricing. Imagine the laughs that the owners of other hot hatch marques will be having on their forums..  :grin:

Ben there is more to life than quarter mile sprints you know.  :grin:

I think its disappointing that it is not targeted at a wider catchment of Golf enthusiasts, but VW know exactly the type of person who will by this, you can tell just by the styling and colour choices, who they are targeting and i am afraid chaps its not us lot.
I noticed just before the recession that every other car on the roads was worth 30+  :chicken:  i was simply amazed  and wondering who all these people where who had all this wonga. Dont forget this car was in the making well before the recession, so i think VW at the time knew they could shift lots of these.  I reckon they have scaled down production numbers somewhat and this alone would mean the price going up.

We are all just going to have to tune into Jonny's build thread when he gets one.  :pomppomp:  :popcornsoda:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 02:39:17 pm »

I'm bordering on being embarrassed to be a VW owner in regards to this car with it's weight and frankly ridiculous pricing.

Imagine the laughs that the owners of other hot hatch marques will be having on their forums..  :grin:

....But Ben, you're looking at it only from the point of view of power-to-weight numbers < Nothing wrong in you doing that but you are one of a tiny minority who considers the weight of a car - Most GTI/Ed30/Golf/Scirocco owners don't have a clue what their car weighs and they don't care two figs.

The Golf R is a true allrounder and a compact size. Yes, there are plenty of other cars to buy for similar money but they may not suit what someone needs.

Who cares what a bunch of guys on this or any other car forum think if you drive a Golf R anyway. If you had the money available to afford one (perhaps you have) and you liked the car, why would anything else matter? Look, I'm in my 60's and drive a very obviously modded GTI with LED DRL's and stickers etc on it but I don't care what anyone thinks - I just enjoy it and I enjoy sharing with you guys because you are all very tolerant.

I think that the Golf R will be considered by some to be a very classy motor to be seen in - Partly because it's not cheap and so it becomes more exclusive.

:happy2:

ADDENDA: I've just seen that TC has posted a similar response to mine.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 03:20:22 pm »
Probably didn't explain myself very well with that last post (still suffering from the shock of the pricing I guess :grin:)..
Totally agree with you TC (and Red) as it's all about aiming it at the right market, not some DC racing outlaw that like Santa Pod to much  :grin:. But believe it or not, i'm not really refering to the power/weight as such. But more on the original quote from VW saying that they have ditched the V6 and gone for a lighter 2.0T to save on weight etc (and more importantly emissions obviously) so it will weigh in at a fair amount less than the R32, when it clearly doesn't.
We all know that the R32's biggest problem was that it was pie eating champion of the Hot hatches  :wink:. Even though it was still a great all rounder.
VW have never been renowned for producing lighweight 1/4 mile cars, that's for sure. I just think that the executive comfy cruiser market that they appear to be targeting is just wrong. Especially when it is going to cost more than it's more executive cousin the S3..
All IMO of course  :wink:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 03:36:52 pm »
Ok what is it with this qtr mile crap  :stupid: its not a qtr mile car and its never going to be unless u pull every bit of comfort out of it and start modding it to death. if u want a qtr mile car then buy something light to start with like a bug and bolt a turbo on and get the mtr built up and you should get under 10s if you do a good job on it   :smiley:. The golf is and always will be a good all round car pure and simple not a drag car  :rolleye:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2009, 04:14:36 pm »
I think its disappointing that it is not targeted at a wider catchment of Golf enthusiasts

That I think sums it up pretty well I suppose

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 04:18:53 pm »

I think its disappointing that it is not targeted at a wider catchment of Golf enthusiasts

That I think sums it up pretty well I suppose

....I think it sums it up very well too. However, I won't be holding my breath waiting for VW or VAG to deliver.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 04:23:58 pm »
Y dunt Yu all Jus getz a well kewl focus RS fingy? dey iz well cool innit!

well cheepa dan a Golf R

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 04:54:42 pm »

Yea i luv dat RS fing too ! ..................................... not

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 05:44:02 pm »
 haha...sorry couldnt resist!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2009, 06:28:17 pm »

Yea i luv dat RS fing too ! ..................................... not

^ No-brainer, innit! He ain't got proppa DRL's :evilgrin:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2009, 06:33:43 pm »
Ok what is it with this qtr mile crap  :stupid: its not a qtr mile car and its never going to be unless u pull every bit of comfort out of it and start modding it to death. if u want a qtr mile car then buy something light to start with like a bug and bolt a turbo on and get the mtr built up and you should get under 10s if you do a good job on it   :smiley:. The golf is and always will be a good all round car pure and simple not a drag car  :rolleye:

Matt if you read my last post i'm not on about 1/4 mile. I'm merely trying to point out that although VW aren't renowned for building ultra lightweight hatches (that's for sure), to make the R weigh in at nearly 1600kgs can't be ideal for a fun handling, enjoyable hatch. Which lets be honest, is what we all want to a certain degree. Not a lard arse cruiser.
But I will reserve judgement untill some of the motoring press get there hands on it, or driven it myself.  :wink:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 06:35:47 pm by Vtec Abuser »

Offline faheem

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2009, 06:40:41 pm »
i think to begin with that is a high price but then look at the mk6, that began orginally at 30 k if im not mistaken so vw have clearly began to increase the price for their top end golf models, maybe its due to the huge success of the mk5 gti and r32? i aint sure, im not as up to date in terms of information but thats how im seeing it so far.

personally i think as many have said the prices being talked about are for a certain segmant, it will be intresting to see how the price of the mk6 works out in the next year or 2. I aint sure if that will be same with the r20 but if its got the same engine as an ed30 how can it possibly be nearly double the cost? i know its a new car , new level of standard performance etc but surley spending even less than 10 k in mods on a ed30 and your outperforming a car double the cost with potentially just the same comfort....unless the r20 is going to be more comfortable or have more gadgets? unlikley! lol

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2009, 06:43:44 pm »
The next generation A3 will be 150kgs lighter than the current model. The smart money goes on waiting for the new platform.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2009, 06:59:21 pm »

The next generation A3 will be 150kgs lighter than the current model. The smart money goes on waiting for the new platform.

....Well there's always something 'better' on the horizon. It's called technological progress and it waits for no-one. The costs go up accordingly - They don't come down, check the price and spec : -

^ Of course I'm sure you didn't notice any peanut smuggling first :evilgrin: