Make a donation

Author Topic: Jay's Golf Coupe "racek0r" project  (Read 154575 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Re: Jay's "Race Car" Project. "it's like a golf but not a golf"
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2014, 03:58:22 pm »
Looking smart Jay, TDI tuning looks to be a rapidly growing market which is good for us boys I guess. Darkside stuff seems to be proving hard to beat.

I spoke to Alex in the week about popcorn limiters and stuff, is that something you're gonna have? They make even straight 4 diesels sound the mutts nutts.

Assuming you'll be stage 2+, what kind of figures are you aiming for?
Whacking a Peron intercooler on?

Have to catch you at AKS sometime soon, been meaning to catch @Tfsi_Mike there for about 2 years now  :laugh: :grin:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2014, 05:15:25 pm »
@rdfcpete  - don't think there is a 2+ in TDI tuning, it's either stage 2 or 3. The only cars that have "+" are TFSIs as the HPFP is a partial stage.

I'm down at AKS on the 10th Jan  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2014, 05:29:55 pm »
@GrayMK5GTI Ah okay. I perhaps wrongly thought some people referred to that as stage "2+" meaning stage or greater, although I dunno if the CR170 has a stage 3(?) and doesn't have a stage 2+ from what you've said  :grin: :signLOL: :popcornsoda:

Yours is still mapped too isn't it, with Revo?
Pete

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2014, 05:32:55 pm »
Cheers Pete, yes Darkside are good. Expensive, but good.
Unfortunately there is limited options out there. Their parts are expensive but labour rates are actually pretty fair.
£300 to fit the new turbo and do the new pipework too.
I guess it would be stage 3.. on these engines I imagine Stage 4 would be when new fuelling comes out for public consumption which won't be any time soon.  :sad1:

I have a hard cut limiter (aka popcorn) at the moment. Without a rude boy exhaust you won't hardly hear it, no practical gain, just sounds nice and makes it feel a bit more racekor.
Gonna do some exhaust noise videos soon anyway and upload them.

Aiming for around 240bhp and 360 ft lb (up on my 194bhp and 340ft lb). All in all it's costing me about £5k to get this 2260 set up installed and mapped with associated parts. It's a lot of money but I'm hoping it will be worth it for the long term - Being that when fuelling upgrades are available I can buy a new head, get it ported and in effect have a head swap and uprated fuelling and be good for over 300bhp.

Main thing is a virtually flat power line from 2800 rpm to the redline looking at the other CR 2260 kits Darkside have done (only two or three). This Rocco already feels quicker than the GTI did standard because of the way it holds the power, for a diesel it's impressive.

I have a deal with Darkside and basically it means I needed to buy everything from there. so I have one of their own branded 'S3 intercoolers' coming.
I'm down at AKS on the 12th of February getting both that and my new Helix paddle clutch fitted.

Graeme what are you getting done in January!?  :notworthy:

GTB2260.

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Deposit paid and I am all booked in.
Great choice! You're going to have a beast in your hands! :congrats:

Haha thanks.
Certainly beats having a beast in my pants.  :love: :ashamed:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:35:14 pm by xjay1337 »

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2014, 05:52:10 pm »
Wow!
Your build thread reads like my wish list.
A simple Revo remap has transformed my car so a downpipe is my next "Must"!
Looking forward to all your videos and further mods.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:28:17 pm by Biano44 »

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2014, 06:26:10 pm »
I thought you'd be getting more power from that setup. Have you thought about a new camshaft from Dbilas (http://www.dbilas-shop.com/Products/Performance-camshafts/VW-VAG:::7_2504_2875.html)? You'd get another 10 BHP just by changing that, I think. :smiley:

With all that power I'd think about an LSD too... I'd be great to tame the beast. :drool:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2014, 01:53:55 am »
&feature=youtu.be

@vRSAlex  :innocent: :innocent: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Video of the exhaust noise!  :happy2: :happy2:

There are very limited options for the CR170 engine.
Can't find any information regarding whether they are same fit as other engines in the VAG TDI range.
I think the issue is head flow rather than cam shaft, needs porting over a camshaft. Perhaps if option is there we can do both. Camshaft would be fairly easy to do all things considered but would need mapping to suit..
Will have to see.

Biano,
My dad just got his Octavia CR170 Revo'd at Alex's and was very impressed with it, felt more torque-spikey than my Darkside one but felt my one was more linear and perhaps pulled better to red line. We need to race to be sure. Hopefully it inspires you to do some more bits :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 01:57:35 am by xjay1337 »

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #112 on: December 24, 2014, 08:45:53 am »

Biano,
My dad just got his Octavia CR170 Revo'd at Alex's and was very impressed with it, felt more torque-spikey than my Darkside one but felt my one was more linear and perhaps pulled better to red line. We need to race to be sure. Hopefully it inspires you to do some more bits :)

"More Torque spikey"........ Do you know, without going in yours I have nothing really to compare it to (other than my old PD140 Golf) but I had thought it feels smooth and linear.
So much so that when I first drove the car I wondered if the ECU flash had been successful. Only after a few days did I realise the difference it had made and that most of the change is 2500rpm and up!!!!
Plus I'm sure it's got even quicker over the 2 weeks I have had it done.

In the new year I will definitely get the downpipe and probably a front anti-roll bar but I will be really looking forward to see what happens with your Turbo kit!!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 08:48:07 am by Biano44 »

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2014, 12:00:58 pm »
Unfortunately there is limited options out there. Their parts are expensive but labour rates are actually pretty fair.
I guess it would be stage 3.. on these engines I imagine Stage 4 would be when new fuelling comes out for public consumption which won't be any time soon.  :sad1:

I have a hard cut limiter (aka popcorn) at the moment. Without a rude boy exhaust you won't hardly hear it, no practical gain, just sounds nice and makes it feel a bit more racekor.

Aiming for around 240bhp and 360 ft lb (up on my 194bhp and 340ft lb). All in all it's costing me about £5k to get this 2260 set up installed and mapped with associated parts. It's a lot of money but I'm hoping it will be worth it for the long term - Being that when fuelling upgrades are available I can buy a new head, get it ported and in effect have a head swap and uprated fuelling and be good for over 300bhp.

Main thing is a virtually flat power line from 2800 rpm to the redline looking at the other CR 2260 kits Darkside have done (only two or three). This Rocco already feels quicker than the GTI did standard because of the way it holds the power, for a diesel it's impressive.

I have a deal with Darkside and basically it means I needed to buy everything from there. so I have one of their own branded 'S3 intercoolers' coming.
I'm down at AKS on the 12th of February getting both that and my new Helix paddle clutch fitted.

Graeme what are you getting done in January!?  :notworthy:

:happy2: :happy2:
Nice, yes you can hear the H/C or Popcorn limiter in the video, I think that sounds great. There's a Leon Fr CR170 on youtube with what he reckons is running 254hp so I dropped him a msg to ask what he's running etc, it sounds similar to yours now actually.

You're obviously running DPF delete but is that EGR delete too, or not on our engine? I know EGR delete is popular on the 3.0 TDI engines.

The power you talk of sounds interesting  :party:
I remember in PVW a while back there were two scene Ibis white A3's (same shape as mine) featured. One was a 1.6 TDI but the 2.0 TDI (140ps IIRC) was re-turbo'ed to about 290hp, or so the owner claimed, as they do - but that would be about right given what you can do with fuel pumps and different railing etc from what Darkside & Alex reckon, I suppose?  :happy2:

Cool vid anyway, keep them coming as you add more and more  :party:
Pete

Offline woahnowboys

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: December 24, 2014, 04:38:42 pm »
That system is beautiful.. Those tips  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

'87 MK1 Cabby - To be 20vT'd.
MK5 Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2014, 05:06:20 pm »
@xjay1337, with Stage 2, do you still have the built in ESP/XDS rev limiter that helps with launch control in first gear, where it holds it at around 2600 RPM? I don't wanna lose that if I get a Stage 2 map  :smiley:
Pete

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2014, 11:26:46 pm »

Graeme what are you getting done in January!:notworthy:

GTB2260.

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Deposit paid and I am all booked in.
Great choice! You're going to have a beast in your hands! :congrats:

Haha thanks.
Certainly beats having a beast in my pants.  :love: :ashamed:

Only just  noticed this fella  :ashamed:

I'm having Alex sort out my clutch issues - can't get into 1st or out of reverse easily when car is hot. Thinks something is up with the clutch hydraulics - made worse by having the Helix clutch  :sad1:

Nothing exciting going on with my motor for a while  :indifferent:

Your Rocco is coming along nicely, kinda makes me wish I'd kept mine and stuck a bigger turbo on it   :drool:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2014, 11:44:52 pm »
5k turbo kit for 240hp? Or did i read that wrong
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2014, 11:46:42 pm »
It's the torque that matters. :signLOL:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2014, 11:47:12 pm »

F****** bonkers spending that on a deformed diesel golf.