Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275607 times)

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI, K03 hybrid complete
« Reply #375 on: December 07, 2015, 10:20:28 pm »
So a few bits of useful information I found out during the build and now I've done some driving.

NGK spark plugs are sh*t:

Reason, I had put some NGK plugs in the car when I serviced it 200miles before breaking it. Whilst on the dyno when they were hitting the rev limiter 7200rpm it would throw up an engine warning light. They said they've seen this time and time again with the NGK plugs so they threw them away and put in some Bosch ones, boom problem solved. If you get this problem and its not plugs he said the other possibility it the valve springs are too weak causing 'valve bounce' I believe he called it.

MPG is up:

I don't really care about MPG and I haven't been driving sensibly but i'm seeing probably 3-5mpg more than I usually would. Don't know exactly what is most responsible for it however between the carbon build up being removed and the new low down power the car is running noticeably more efficiently.

Forge OEM replacement cooler is doing well:

So as you may know I originally opted for the Forge twintercooler but the stupid pipes weren't even close to fitting so swapped it for their OEM replacement option. On the dyno 30 degrees was the highest it saw with an ambient of about 16 degrees after a couple of runs.

That's all I have for now so just going to enjoy it and put some miles on. Got brakes all round to sort out and a H&R rear anti roll bar to go on at some point soon. Then just some maintenance and tidying to do to get her just how I want.

Hi Dan, Been following your thread with great interest as I'm thinking of going BB hybrid on my 2+ setup. I wonder if you could clarify a couple of points for me though. I thought you had a THS intercooler on your car (as do I). Why the change to the forge cooler?

Are you running the rev g diverter with your hybrid set up, just that with the ko3 running higher pressures than the ko4 My G rev keeps failing me with far more modest figures than you've just achieved.

One last thing were the Bosch plugs just the usual OEM ones from VAG of something a bit more funky?

Soz for the Spanish inquisition!

Hahaha no worries happy to help.

I did buy a THS cooler a while ago but then plans changed and I had to sell it and stick with the factory cooler. Your THS will be perfectly capable.

I had a REV D DV for a while but that was leaking (as they are known to sometimes) but now i'm running a REV G so we'll see how she goes. No doubt it will split some time soon and then I will buy a new REV G and a DV+ kit so hopefully that problem will be solved for good.

It was just OEM Bosch plugs they put in nothing fancy.

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI hybrid k03.
« Reply #376 on: December 18, 2015, 02:07:26 pm »
Smallish update:

4x new Michelin Super Sports fitted a few days ago

Also got some heat reflective tape and a Garage Midnight heat shield for the intake.

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #377 on: December 18, 2015, 02:13:28 pm »
Woo, looks mint!
Any noticeable difference with Intake temps with the wrap?

dansmith180

« Reply #378 on: December 18, 2015, 02:30:43 pm »
Woo, looks mint!
Any noticeable difference with Intake temps with the wrap?

Cheers mate, not got a Polar or done any before and after logs so don't actually know. I would have thought though between the shield and tape there might be a couple of degrees to be had.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #379 on: December 18, 2015, 07:46:20 pm »
The tape works, my mechanic wrapped the bottom of the OEM airbox and it's cooler after giving some heat to the engine. :happy2:

Your induction is good, now it's even better. :pomppomp:

dansmith180

« Reply #380 on: December 19, 2015, 03:46:37 pm »
Buttons and horn now work on the MK7 steering wheel. Big thanks to @olsen-72 to doing the work, he's very good at what he does. Found out that if its a Polo wheel it only needs the correct module to make it work, if its from a Golf or Scirocco then it may need the loom from a Polo wheel or you can mess with the original.

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI hybrid k03. MK7 wheel working properly.
« Reply #381 on: December 21, 2015, 11:41:39 pm »
I'm off until the 4th of January  :jumpmove: but went into work today to finish off the RS4 and do a few bits to mine. My parents recently bough the RS4 which has been supercharged by MRC and has 620ish bhp  :driver:. It was repainted in sepang blue in 2012 and has had tonnes more done to it. Since getting the car it has now been fully detailed/ wheels refurbished/ new Michelin Super Sports all round and a few other tidying and maintenance bits. The car is a proper weapon and now looks the nuts too.

Anyways onto my car  :grin:, gave it a quick wipe over/ thorough interior clean and its 8th oil change since I bought it 2 years and about 22.5k miles ago. I have a bit of a mental issue when it comes to changing the oil but oh well it keeps me happy  :laugh:.

Thought as they were both in the unit and clean I would take a few photos since I think they look really good together with the contrast in body colours they go very well as a pair. There is 950bhp+ between them and both are manuals just the way we like em.

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI hybrid k03. Photoshoot with RS4
« Reply #382 on: December 22, 2015, 07:19:06 am »
Absolutely stunning vehicles there  :notworthy:
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline Daveyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #383 on: December 22, 2015, 08:54:28 am »
Agree with above mate. Both stunning. Also love the guards red 964 in the corner. I've got a real soft spot for them

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #384 on: December 22, 2015, 10:12:42 am »
RS4 = :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Very Very nice ! 

What type of flooring is that you have used ?
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #385 on: December 22, 2015, 10:50:55 am »
Lovely machines! :drool: :drool: :drool:

dansmith180

« Reply #386 on: December 22, 2015, 10:35:53 pm »
Thanks very much guys

RS4 = :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Very Very nice ! 

What type of flooring is that you have used ?

Not sure exactly mate, we got it a couple of years ago on a detailing world group buy actually.

Offline mattkgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 3
  • Amateur MK5 Golf GTI Enthusiast
    • Email
« Reply #387 on: December 26, 2015, 12:40:32 am »
Great build thread Dan, was a nice read.  Love the plate you've got too!   :grin:

Offline Jase

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #388 on: December 27, 2015, 01:11:39 pm »
Great build thread, love the colour. That RS4 though, oh my gosh!

Offline AJG09

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • My Ride: 2005 mk5 golf 1.6 FSI
« Reply #389 on: December 30, 2015, 11:24:01 pm »
Smallish update:

4x new Michelin Super Sports fitted a few days ago

Also got some heat reflective tape and a Garage Midnight heat shield for the intake.

How is the heat shield held on? I cant seem to get my head around it by looking at your pictures  :rolleye:

Is it just held on by the 2 rubber grommets that go in the mounts for the engine cover? Or do you need to remove the mounts for the heat shield to be installed?

Only asking as I'm looking at one as they are cheap and i noticed my intake pipe being very hot to touch above the manifold area  :happy2:

Cheers  :smiley: