Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275115 times)

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI hybrid k03, many brake reviews.
« Reply #465 on: February 26, 2016, 11:41:06 pm »
So since I've had a few brake kits now I thought I'd do a review on each setup and some sort of comparison between them all.

Standard brakes: sh*t and made of chocolate. Were fine until after remap when i stepped on them at about 95 and the car wouldn't stop. Causing me to be very scared and realise immediately that I needed an upgrade.

OEM pads and discs which I had fitted new when I first got the car.

Cost: nothing

R32 brakes: Very good for the price, plenty of stopping power but struggle on the bigger stops (110mph+) and can be made to fade relatively easily. Great for most fast road users up to 300bhp or so. Can fit behind some 17" wheels including Monza's (just) and will clear behind the spokes of nearly any wheel you can buy. However they are heavy and can feel a bit sharp and 'bitey' at slower speeds. Wouldn't recommend for track use.

Generic Pagid pads with MTEC dimpled and grooved discs.

Cost: £300-£500

TTRS brakes: Fantastic brakes which give loads of confidence and a fairly long but nice and progressive pedal feel making it easy to modulate your braking. Also much lighter than the R32 setup iirc about 4.5kg per side. Fantastic overall stopping power even from big speeds and never got them to really fade on me even after 30minutes straight hooning around Silverstone (although its not a particularly brake heavy track). Not at all 'bitey' at lower speeds due to the longer (but not spongey) pedal. Downsides are with the standard rear brakes (using OEM pads and MTEC drilled and grooved discs) I found the rear end quite twitchy and floaty to a point that made me brake a fair bit earlier on track on the big stop at the end of the back straight at Silverstone. Also the clearance is pretty crap as they're a very wide caliper however lots of people have them so there's loads of information about what wheels will and won't fit over them.

Edit: thanks to @xjay1337
I had forgotten a big plus point about the TTRS kit which is there are at least 4 different disc diameters you can use in many patterns from many companies to suit your needs. Also since the calipers are used on lots of cars there's also a huge pad choice again to suit whatever your needs are.

Brembo sport pads and MTEC drilled and grooved 340mm TTS discs (using AKS brackets).

Cost: £750-£1100 obviously you can send much more with 2 piece discs and something like Project MU pads but this is based upon what I have used personally.

Forge 356mm 6 pot brakes: First off these are about 1.5kg per side lighter than the TTRS kit and have much thinner calipers which gain you somewhere around 15mm or so of extra clearance which is a great start. Straight away the pedal travel is reduced by at least 25% which caught me out at first however you adjust to them very quickly and I wouldn't call them sharp, it takes a few days to adjust but once you do they're fine and now I actually prefer it. The stopping power is phenomenal, it didn't take long for these bad boys to set in and after a couple of hundred miles I stamped on them and my eyeball nearly popped out of my head. My first big stop was from about 90ish and I stopped a good 50ft earlier than what I had anticipated, they're simply fantastic and you can do it time after time but they just keep on stopping. Obviously I would need to get them on track for a full comparison but I highly doubt I will be disappointed and cannot wait to give them a hammering. They did squeek a little bit at low speeds for the first couple of weeks but seem to be fine now. They look fantastic now I've painted them but its a bit annoying they only come in a matte black type of finish. I also had the Caddy rear caliper mod done so can't compare balance direct with the TTRS kit but it is a far more well balanced car with this full set up than it was before although still some back end looseness to help with cornering.

EBC yellowstuff pads and whatever discs the came with lol, as far as I know there's only one disc option but there are a few pad options as they share these calipers with AP.

Cost: £1381.21

Caddy rear calipers: Can't really do a review because I changed the fronts at the same time so no comparison but they do work well with the Forge fronts and are something like 2.5kg's per aide lighter so well worth it. They also use the GTI/S3/R32 pad so don't even need to buy new ones.

Cost: £150 fully refurbished.

Overall if I was starting again I would definitely go for the Forge kit as it suits my needs very well. The TTRS kit is still great and nobody would be disappointed with them but probably a bit frustrated finding wheels that fit over them lol. The R32 kit serves its purpose very well and with some decent pads makes a great value kit with no clearance issues which is a bonus. The standard brakes with OEM bits are a joke as the golf is a heavy car and with 200bhp needs far better stopping power, I never tried uprating the lines/ pads and discs so can't speak for their full potential but in standard form they are piss poor.

I probably missed out loads of bits because I'm and idiot and this is the longest thing I've written since my ICT coursework 6 years ago and just like then I'm writing it late at night  :signLOL:. Hopefully this helps someone and if you have any questions please just ask.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:15:23 am by dansmith180 »

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #466 on: February 27, 2016, 01:20:23 am »
Good review there man!

I would agree about the thickness of the TTRS calipers. It's a lot better with TTRS discs as you don't need the extra 15/20mm of the adaptor but still not ideal and very difficult if you have a lot of wheels or need to borrow a friends for example if you have yours refurbed.

The only thing with Forge that puts me off is disc/pad choice may be limited.
TTRS caliper is very widely used and loads of pads from 30 quid ebay ones to 400 pMus.

I was very impressed by the brakes when we went out. Felt very good.

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
« Reply #467 on: February 27, 2016, 02:30:43 am »
Thank you for posting your thoughts on the forge set up  :drinking: I'm really keen on this set up and it's good to hear they don't disappoint. Like the looks of the rest kit too - I may be on my own here but I prefer the look of a single rear caliper over the twin rear caliper route. Excellent review and thanks again for taking the time to post  :happy2:

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #468 on: February 27, 2016, 09:15:41 am »
A good honest review what more could you ask for. :happy2:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #469 on: February 27, 2016, 12:21:11 pm »
Great reading! Thanks for the review. The Forge brake kit sounds ideal, comparing to the price of a similar AP kit.

I chose the Brembo 18Z because I knew they would fit (just) with the wheels I already had bought for the GT Sport. :smiley:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #470 on: February 27, 2016, 12:40:19 pm »
Thanks Dan, very helpful this. Reminds be a bit of the brake bible thing on ukmkivs back in the day!

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #471 on: February 27, 2016, 03:25:58 pm »
Any pics of the Forge kit installed?
There is a place near me that supply's and fits them  :innocent: - thanks for the awesome review

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

dansmith180

« Reply #472 on: February 27, 2016, 06:40:12 pm »
No worries guys, plenty of great reviews on here have helped me get the right parts before so glad to be able to return the favour  :drinking:

Any pics of the Forge kit installed?
There is a place near me that supply's and fits them  :innocent: - thanks for the awesome review

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #473 on: February 27, 2016, 07:32:48 pm »
Excellent review Dan,had a email of forge and mine should be ready in a fort night

dansmith180

« Reply #474 on: February 27, 2016, 07:53:18 pm »
Excellent review Dan,had a email of forge and mine should be ready in a fort night

Nice one, you've waited bloody long enough  :signLOL:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #475 on: February 27, 2016, 08:29:04 pm »
Yeah 12 weeks now,found people selling them now as well,bloody typical

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 46
    • Email
« Reply #476 on: March 02, 2016, 04:11:44 pm »
 :drool: :drool: :drool:
Nice collection of supercars!!

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #477 on: March 02, 2016, 07:23:28 pm »

Nice one, you've waited bloody long enough  :signLOL:

Must come by ship from China rather then air  :P
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

dansmith180

« Reply #478 on: March 03, 2016, 08:24:14 pm »
@vRSAlex  :signLOL:  :signLOL:  :signLOL:

So on Tuesday night I made a whoopsie, engine management light flashed at big speed and car held back on me. Started misfiring like a bitch so drove carefully and plugged her in the next morning

Cleared codes, switched coilpacks 1&2 around, drove it and still the same. Went and found my correct socket to pull out the spark plugs.

Plug number 1 looked a bit white maybe?

Plug number 2 was slightly different

:scared:  :scared:

Replaced plugs and runs fine although I am now going to find the fueling issue and get that sorted. Have driven the car 20 miles or so and seems fine so hopefully whatever bits came off the plug turned to dust and were shot out of the exhaust without damaging anything.

Offline gticc

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI hybrid k03. made a whoopsie
« Reply #479 on: March 03, 2016, 09:17:01 pm »
Hopefully hasn't caused any damage. The red calipers look lovely and the car looks great.