Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275083 times)

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI hybrid K03. wheely busy day
« Reply #570 on: April 10, 2016, 05:02:49 pm »
Liked it before but it looks bang on now  :happy2:
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

dansmith180

« Reply #571 on: April 10, 2016, 05:07:59 pm »
@AJP

Cheers mate, Forge kit is doing very well I'm definitely glad I went for it. Yeah she's 11 years old on Tuesday and can put cars half her age to shame, shows what a bit of TLC can do for a car.

I think the reason the new BBT model spools slower is because its based on a K04 housing and is essentially a K04 that fits a K03 housing so behaves very much like a K04. Also he's running stock injectors so there is a chance Nike has tweaked low down boost as the injectors probably can't keep up otherwise.

My turbo has honeslty lost no noticable low end spool and I believe this is down to it being based on a K03 housing and then all the other bits have been uprated around that but i'm far from an expert so could be talking out my arse  :signLOL:

Mine peaks around 29psi currently and isn't running its full potential so is probably similar to that of a K04 but just won't hold it to the redline like a K04 will which is where the difference lies really.

Since the turbo is currently strapped to a somewhat wounded engine and I believe they haven't made any others and if they have it's only a few as they concentrate more on the 1.8t AUG etc... Cars but said they could make me one no problems but it didn't have a code and wasn't listed on the website or anything. Its hard to tell what its full capabilities really are. For the money you could look at buying a K04 and having the 'anti surge wheel' mod done and then mapping down to 330bhp or so. @DANBOY66 had it done on his ED30 and had full boost from 2200rpms or so I think.

I don't where about you are or if you're at any shows/ meets soon but I would be happy to take you for a spin and you could get a better idea of what your options are  :happy2:

dansmith180

« Reply #572 on: April 10, 2016, 05:09:44 pm »
Liked it before but it looks bang on now  :happy2:

:love:  :love: cheers mate, just need to steal your carbon bits now  :signLOL:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #573 on: April 10, 2016, 05:21:11 pm »
Cheers mate, that's the info I was looking for! Pretty much summed up what I've read/heard about the hybrid situation.

Interesting what you say about the anti-surge k04, I'd heard about it but not really understood what it meant in real-world application. I'll have a read up on that.

Definitely not ruling out the bread and butter k04 conversion, no more or less than a hybrid k03. Seems I'm certainly not hurting my chances of keeping the low-mid characteristics of a k03, as I'm not reaching for big numbers.

As always though, sensible mods must come first, which is why I asked about the 6 pots. They sound a good option.

I'm up north, near Sheff. Probably miles away but as I intend to keep it as a long-termer it'll probably send me around the country once or twice so I might end up seeing you at a meet or the pod some time!

Thanks again mate

dansmith180

« Reply #574 on: April 10, 2016, 05:28:21 pm »
@AJP Yeah I'm down in Berkshire so pretty far, but as you say I'm sure at some point paths will cross. I believe basically when mapping the K04 you have to map around a 'surge' to preserve reliability and keep it smooth. But by altering (I think slightly clipping) the turbine wheel you can make use of full boost at lower RPM's, and if you already have the turbo off a car then its relatively cheap and easy to have done.

Yeah would definitely recommend the Forge kit as they're wheel friendly as well.

Happy to help  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #575 on: April 10, 2016, 05:33:10 pm »
Top man. Plenty of research in front of me on k04 options then! (I almost enjoy the learning as much as the driving..)

dansmith180

« Reply #576 on: April 10, 2016, 05:36:51 pm »
Top man. Plenty of research in front of me on k04 options then! (I almost enjoy the learning as much as the driving..)

Yeah I must admit I do enjoy a good research session, gets quite exciting when you know you're nearly ready to pull the trigger on a nice purchase

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #577 on: April 10, 2016, 05:42:35 pm »
@Shoduchi I only did 2 runs and the first was a flop as I didn't build revs and left the traction control on  :rolleye:, second run I did better but he still had me off the line, its only the last 100m or so that I took him in the end by a couple of tenths. On his third run he was only 0.1 of a second behind my best time but I was having to hold back as the car is still a bit wounded. Definitely wasn't an easy win  :signLOL:, these two cars are very well matched and Jay has more to come soon so I need to up my game a bit .
If Jay gets the improved injection he's looking for, you'll have to strip your GTI or up your power to win next time. :grin:

dansmith180

« Reply #578 on: April 10, 2016, 05:47:38 pm »
@Shoduchi I only did 2 runs and the first was a flop as I didn't build revs and left the traction control on  :rolleye:, second run I did better but he still had me off the line, its only the last 100m or so that I took him in the end by a couple of tenths. On his third run he was only 0.1 of a second behind my best time but I was having to hold back as the car is still a bit wounded. Definitely wasn't an easy win  :signLOL:, these two cars are very well matched and Jay has more to come soon so I need to up my game a bit .
If Jay gets the improved injection he's looking for, you'll have to strip your GTI or up your power to win next time. :grin:

Yeah that Scirocco is becoming a real pain  :signLOL:

Hopefully with the K04 engine and my back seats out I can stay ahead  :driver:

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI hybrid K03. Someone broke down
« Reply #579 on: April 17, 2016, 09:41:16 pm »
So today was the Boosted UK meet at the Akemann Inn Aylesbury, a nice little meet (although its getting quite big now) in the carpark of a really nice pub. Spent yesterday cleaning my car and the supercharged RS4 ready to meet up with a convoy at Beaconsfield services, cars were 2x 440ish bhp EVO X's, Hamman M4, R34 GTR 680bhp, E30 M3, E63 wagon then me and the 620bhp RS4. I know mine isnt doing great ATM and knew there was a genuine chance it might die on me trying to keep up with this bunch of butters.

So we left Beaconsfield and on the slip road to the M40 had a good pull getting all the way up to 70mph!!, then hit some traffic and again off we went at full blast back up to 70 :rolleye:. Then a car died.

BUT IT WASNT ME!!  :signLOL:

So literally a mile into our pretty awesome convoy the fuel pump on the RS4 shat itself and decided it was having a day off so put an end to that pretty quickly.

But the RAC were rapid and we still made it to the show in mine even though about 15 minutes later most people left, still had a nice chat with some people then a good lunch followed by giving the car a good spanking down some B roads on the way back.

All in all not a bad day as the RS4 could have been far worse and weather was excellent.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:43:58 pm by dansmith180 »

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #580 on: April 18, 2016, 02:48:21 pm »
haha nice one mate.
Not a horrific fault hopefully the rs4 will be running soon!

jay26

« Reply #581 on: April 18, 2016, 04:04:56 pm »
such a nice looking car loved it on the merc wheels

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #582 on: April 18, 2016, 05:44:31 pm »
Nice story! :grin:

Glad your GTI didn't give you any trouble. :drinking:

dansmith180

« Reply #583 on: April 23, 2016, 10:46:13 am »
So although I didn't manage to kill the car last Sunday, when I started it on Tuesday (was fine on Monday) it sounded like utter sh*t. So I think the cam chain and probably a few other bits really are on their last legs.

The car is booked in at AKS on May 25th - 28th for the following

To the BWJ engine:
. check and if needed replace cam chain
. runner flap delete
. injector refurbish
. oil pick up change
. carbon clean
. pressure test and boroscope work
. RS4 FPRV
. cambelt and water pump
. turbo check over
. anti surge wheel fitted  :evilgrin:
. all mods from old engine moved over

Then remove the old one and fit the BWJ lump, also fix a few little niggles and maybe a new MAF sensor to hopefully have the car running as it should for more than 10 minutes

So this should leave me with a pretty well sorted engine capable of some serious performance and most of all some realiability   :pomppomp:

But for now she's resting as I don't think it will last the 4 weeks.

Tried to get an artsy photo with the dog and my car next to each other but my phone is useless in strong light and the dog doesn't look to pleased  :laugh:

For now I have this beast

I barely fit in it but its a free car so I should stop complaining.

Also I realise this has almost become more of a blog than a build thread but tough, you just have to put up with it  :innocent:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI hybrid K03 - soon to be BWJ powered - resting for now
« Reply #584 on: April 23, 2016, 11:15:21 am »
What's killed the original engine do you think Dan? Running it with the hybrid a bit too much?