Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275104 times)

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Front end tighten up.
« Reply #885 on: December 05, 2016, 09:00:52 pm »
So there had been some knocking at the front end and the left wheel had some play. Also small leak in the driver's side CV boot. So got all the bits from TPS and had my mate fit them for me this weekend.

New ball joints, track rod ends and CV boot.

Getting the tracking done and engine + gearbox oil change + spark plug change this coming Saturday.

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Undertray broke, track day booked.
« Reply #886 on: December 27, 2016, 02:23:48 am »
Cars been going well, Christmas Eve manage to kill my undertray at high speed.

Also booked myself open pit lane day at Bedford on 20th Jan for a steal.

Will strip the car and give it a good test on the day, hopefully got some R32 rear brakes and bucket seats going on soon. Bored of it being a street car now so time to lose a few KG's

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #887 on: December 27, 2016, 09:45:45 am »
You can consider fitting the R32 undertray. It's a full tray and not expensive. :wink:

More nice bits coming and some track time! :driver:

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #888 on: December 27, 2016, 05:58:44 pm »
Ouch! Good work on the track day - Bedford's a good circuit, bit flat though!
You're welcome to the centre undertray from mine (need to fit the R32 one first), but looks as though the side mounts have had it!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #889 on: December 27, 2016, 06:02:20 pm »
Was that a dip in the road Dan? Nothing else damaged I hope. I take it that was just from being low, although yours doesn't look too slammed on the V1s.

I'm weighing up going for coilovers but seeing things like this holds me back a bit. What's your arch to floor measurement at the front?

dansmith180

« Reply #890 on: December 27, 2016, 06:54:25 pm »
You're welcome to the centre undertray from mine (need to fit the R32 one first), but looks as though the side mounts have had it!

That would be fantastic if I could, been speaking to a mate and can just drill some new holes as it's 3 that need doing and just fit an OEM one again. Yeah it's a bit boring maybe but given the potential weather issues and first time it'll be out there I think it's a safe bet and hopefully I don't break it  :signLOL:

Was that a dip in the road Dan? Nothing else damaged I hope. I take it that was just from being low, although yours doesn't look too slammed on the V1s.

I'm weighing up going for coilovers but seeing things like this holds me back a bit. What's your arch to floor measurement at the front?

Nothing at all to do with the height on this one, it as all in tact on Wednesday when I put it back on after an oil change but I think sheer speed broke it  :evilgrin:. Must have already been a tad weak from previous hits or something because it was a straight flat peice of road I was on when it went. Don't know on measurements can try to remember to look next time I'm at work for you.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #891 on: December 27, 2016, 07:04:11 pm »

That would be fantastic if I could, been speaking to a mate and can just drill some new holes as it's 3 that need doing and just fit an OEM one again. Yeah it's a bit boring maybe but given the potential weather issues and first time it'll be out there I think it's a safe bet and hopefully I don't break it  :signLOL:

Nothing at all to do with the height on this one, it as all in tact on Wednesday when I put it back on after an oil change but I think sheer speed broke it  :evilgrin:. Must have already been a tad weak from previous hits or something because it was a straight flat peice of road I was on when it went. Don't know on measurements can try to remember to look next time I'm at work for you.
Sheer speed as in air drag lifting it off?? Must have been going some! I fondly remember the sh*te undertray mk4s had. Ripped mine off completely in the end.

That'd be great if you could, thanks. Wouldn't mind knowing the rear measurement too if it's not too much hassle. I know you rate the KWs. I'm just trying to weigh up the options. It's on H&R springs at the min, and it's 'ok' but I keep thinking I'd like it maybe 20mm or so lower!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #892 on: December 28, 2016, 01:35:18 pm »
See you at Bedford boi.

dansmith180

« Reply #893 on: December 28, 2016, 01:50:06 pm »
See you at Bedford boi.

I'll make sure the back of my car is clean so you can enjoy watching it pull into the distance  :booty:

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #894 on: December 28, 2016, 02:06:20 pm »
Dan whats the noise limit?

You sure you exhaust wont exceed it??

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #895 on: December 28, 2016, 02:46:41 pm »
See you at Bedford boi.

I'll make sure the back of my car is clean so you can enjoy watching it pull into the distance  :booty:

Haha ill bring go pro for video proof eh.

dansmith180

« Reply #896 on: December 28, 2016, 02:47:29 pm »
Dan whats the noise limit?

You sure you exhaust wont exceed it??

Static 101
Drive by 87.5 iirc.

May have to short shift by the sensor but I know a few noisy TFSI's have been there with no issues.

dansmith180

« Reply #897 on: December 28, 2016, 02:49:15 pm »
See you at Bedford boi.

Haha ill bring go pro for video proof eh.

sh*t, forgot you had a camera  :scared:

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
    • Email
« Reply #898 on: December 28, 2016, 04:47:08 pm »
Awesome Dan what a steal that is!! Buzz master track demolisher going too??

Offline farhan.ali

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #899 on: December 29, 2016, 02:46:48 am »
just read this over the last two days what a journey youve had with your car lol.
8 months into owning my car im ready for more power... however at 130k on my BWA im nervous :thinking:
but will be taking it one step at time starting with a full service...
i have handling out the way with Bilstein b14 coilovers, whiteline anti lift kit and anti roll bars... so lookin to go for a safe stage 2+ with a set of good brakes... and ill be out on the track by summer hopefully :driver: