Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275090 times)

Offline DANBOY66

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,74301.0.html
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI *UPDATED 16/02/15 time for an S3? any experiences? *
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2015, 09:03:01 am »
dan my mate has a manual s3 and he wished he got a dsg as they are so much quicker he is at stage2+

you can't compare an s3 to an r32 as they are so much faster when played with and lets face it your s3 will not be standard for long
Dan..

Seat Ibiza cupra 06 1.8T GTX2867R GEN2 track toy in the making
Passat TDI 170 DSG the Family mini cab

dansmith180

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2015, 09:11:25 am »
Haha that is true.

Honestly I don't think I'll ever go DSG, at the end of the day I'm not timing myself so a few seconds faster or slower doesn't matter. For me it how engaging the drive is and I don't think DSG is as good as a manual.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2015, 09:55:46 am »
Dan make sure its a dsg  :happy2:

4WD and DSG..... Boring

I know it would be fast but unless it has big power it wouldn't be very fun to drive. I tried a DSG R32 and it was pants to drive.

DSG & 4WD = best combination IMHO (and I drive a manual ed30) :laugh:

You can't make full use of the 4WD's launch capabilities with a manual clutch. Also bare in mind you will have to upgrade the clutch even with just a remap with a manual.

ETTO of course, but try the launch control on a DSG before making a decision. This is how Hurdy & Jussa's get 3.0second (and below) 0-60 times  :notworthy:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

dansmith180

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2015, 10:14:23 am »
I think the problem is a test drive isn't enough to really decide,  20 minutes isn't long enough to really get to know a gearbox. In a dream world I would borrow a remapped one for a week to make a fully informed choice.

I understand why people get DSG because for raw speed it's unbeatable. My problem is you dont get the enjoyment of knowing you've achieved something by making those changes yourself, instead the car did 90% of the hard work for you with 4WD traction control and DSG you're just pointing it.

Offline Sixteen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2015, 12:40:15 am »
Car looks awesome.

Remember seeing this when I popped into Elite Car Care couple months back. Think you were driving it in to change the oil? Don't know if you remember?

Merc wheels suit it really well. Thought it looked great in the metal!

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2015, 02:52:01 pm »
I think the problem is a test drive isn't enough to really decide,  20 minutes isn't long enough to really get to know a gearbox. In a dream world I would borrow a remapped one for a week to make a fully informed choice.

I understand why people get DSG because for raw speed it's unbeatable. My problem is you dont get the enjoyment of knowing you've achieved something by making those changes yourself, instead the car did 90% of the hard work for you with 4WD traction control and DSG you're just pointing it.

I agree Dan.......... Don't get me wrong Dsg is good but it's defo overated Imo (Id know as iv had both)

And there's plenty of ppl running ST2+ software on stock R/S3 clutchs without any problems

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

dansmith180

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2015, 08:35:11 pm »

I agree Dan.......... Don't get me wrong Dsg is good but it's defo overated Imo (Id know as iv had both)

And there's plenty of ppl running ST2+ software on stock R/S3 clutchs without any problems

So you reckon intake, exhaust and map with sub 60k mileage the clutch should be OK? even if its only a year or so before I have to replace it. I'll be stretching myself to get one so can't really afford another 1k for a clutch.

dansmith180

« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2015, 08:48:26 pm »
Car looks awesome.

Remember seeing this when I popped into Elite Car Care couple months back. Think you were driving it in to change the oil? Don't know if you remember?

Can't remember that, i mess about with it nearly every week  :laugh:. Thanks very much though  :happy2:

Offline Sixteen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2015, 11:06:36 pm »
Car looks awesome.

Can't remember that, i mess about with it nearly every week  :laugh:. Thanks very much though  :happy2:

Haha, no worries. It was before Christmas I think.

Do you work at Elite then? Meant to ask before what exhaust you running?

dansmith180

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2015, 11:28:02 am »
Car looks awesome.

Yeh been working there for 3 1/2 years and my parents own it so I get to use the facilities whenever I want  :jumpmove:.

Its a custom one from Style Dynamics in Hayes, 200cel sports cat and one silencer in the middle. They're really good down there, I asked for something fairly quiet on tickover and low revs but makes a good noise when you boot it and doesn't drone on motorways and they made me exactly what I wanted.

If you come down again just come talk to me and I'll show you how it sounds if you want  :happy2:

Offline Sixteen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2015, 06:58:02 pm »
Car looks awesome.

Yeh been working there for 3 1/2 years and my parents own it so I get to use the facilities whenever I want  :jumpmove:.

Its a custom one from Style Dynamics in Hayes, 200cel sports cat and one silencer in the middle. They're really good down there, I asked for something fairly quiet on tickover and low revs but makes a good noise when you boot it and doesn't drone on motorways and they made me exactly what I wanted.

If you come down again just come talk to me and I'll show you how it sounds if you want  :happy2:

No way, so are your mum and dad Alex and Alex? They don't look old enough to have a son your age!  :grin:

That sound pretty much what I'm after. My MK5 has a new standard system on, but it's quite quiet. Need a little more noise in my life!

Perfect, I'm needing to come down next saturday as I need to get some C5 for my wheels. You going to be around?

dansmith180

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2015, 07:03:43 pm »
Car looks awesome.

No way, so are your mum and dad Alex and Alex? They don't look old enough to have a son your age!  :grin:

That sound pretty much what I'm after. My MK5 has a new standard system on, but it's quite quiet. Need a little more noise in my life!

Perfect, I'm needing to come down next saturday as I need to get some C5 for my wheels. You going to be around?

Yeh mum and step dad. I will be around but towards the end of the morning like 11:30 onwards probably. We only live 5 mins away so I can come down whenever after that.

Offline Sixteen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2015, 07:25:44 pm »
That's awesome.

I work in Beaconsfield, so drive past Maidenhead everyday along the A404, just never have time to pop in during the week.

Well I will aim to get over around 11:45 next saturday, be good to meet you and hear the 'zorst!

Elliot

dansmith180

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2015, 07:44:33 pm »
That's awesome.

I work in Beaconsfield, so drive past Maidenhead everyday along the A404, just never have time to pop in during the week.

Well I will aim to get over around 11:45 next saturday, be good to meet you and hear the 'zorst!

Elliot

:happy2:  :happy2:

dansmith180

« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2015, 02:28:21 pm »
So on Thursday evening my mate rings me up and asks if I want to go to Amsterdam for the weekend because someone had to drop out. Obviously I do but then we find out it'll cost nearly £300 to change the name on the flight so I thought f*ck that I've always wanted to drive over to there, so we left that night and stayed in Calais then drove to Amsterdam the next morning.

My attempt at being artsy  :signLOL:

All the photos are taken using my amazing photography skills and my phone so don't mock  :laugh:

More to come.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:31:56 pm by dansmith180 »