Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275134 times)

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Changes coming soon and track day next week ☺
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2015, 06:17:16 pm »

She's a bit high ATM ready for the track so I get no clearance issues at all. The backs all stripped out and the weight difference with the wheels and no rear bench/ spare wheels etc is very noticable. Only downside is it can be a bit squirelly under heavy braking now but nothing I can't handle  :driver:

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qj0smakha2kbj7749uioca4p76&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Wheels fitted, track tomorrow.
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2015, 06:50:47 pm »
[fa]

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

dansmith180

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Silverstone GP track day photos.
« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2015, 11:02:48 pm »

Great economy  :driver:, when I filled up again later It said 145 but I forgot to take a photo.

Killed a few bugs

Such an awesome experience, one of the best days ever for me, would highly recommend it to anyone. Got to see some incredible cars in action and really test myself and the car.

No issues all day just kept on plugging and never missed a beat, I put in about 175 miles on the track and loved every moment. I did have one spin at about 90 making a rookie error but there was loads of space so all was fine and it reminded me I'm not Lewis Hamilton.

Made a huge amount of progress throughout the day (had a tuition session as well) and by the end was really nailing all the corners and put quite a few good laps in. Will try to put up some videos and photos of all the other nice cars there soon.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2015, 10:39:31 am »
No issues all day just kept on plugging and never missed a beat, I put in about 175 miles on the track and loved every moment.

Bloody hell! that's a lot of miles haha

dansmith180

« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2015, 11:29:26 am »
No issues all day just kept on plugging and never missed a beat, I put in about 175 miles on the track and loved every moment.

Bloody hell! that's a lot of miles haha

Yeah the circuits nearly 4 miles long and it was extremley addictive. You were right though I ran spacers all round and my wheels didn't fall off once  :laugh:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2015, 12:18:22 pm »
That experience must have been awesome. I can't wait to get mine in shape to do some track as well. :driver:

How well did your tyres hold all those miles? :surprised:

dansmith180

« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2015, 01:42:12 pm »
That experience must have been awesome. I can't wait to get mine in shape to do some track as well. :driver:

How well did your tyres hold all those miles? :surprised:

Yeh it was incredible, one to tick off the bucket list for sure. The tyres were basically new when I started (about 150 miles on them) so 8.5 ish mm of tread. Now have about 7.5mm on the back with 6.5mm on the inside of the back left (probably because of the spin) the surface is pretty f*cked on the rears where I span because i'd already done about 4 really good laps so they were very hot already.

As you can see the rubber has been literally pulled across the surface of the tyre.

The fronts are between 7mm and 6.5mm and the surface is a bit bumpy as well but nowhere near as bad as the backs (I've done about 80 miles since I left the track so they were probably worse)

dansmith180

« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2015, 06:44:01 pm »
Some of the nice metal work there

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2015, 11:19:43 pm »
Note to self, get tyres just for track days. :laugh:

How are they running on the road now? Are they noisier?

Those are some great machines you saw there! :drool:

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2015, 07:04:35 am »
Great car! Great photos! Great experience!  :happy2:

I'd love to drive around Silverstone!
The tyres will clean up, no worries.

dansmith180

« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2015, 06:55:54 pm »
Note to self, get tyres just for track days. :laugh:

How are they running on the road now? Are they noisier?

Those are some great machines you saw there! :drool:

They're running fine and no noisier than before, the excess rubber left on the rears is very soft compared the the rest of the tyre so after a few weeks it will probably be gone.

It is worth getting another set of tyres if you can but the problem I had is I don't want to be taking tyres on and off too much because they don't seal as well if you keep removing and reffiting them. And I ran out of money so I couldn't have 2 sets of wheels otherwise I would have fitted the Toyo R888's to them, I wanted to put them on this set but the weather was so unpredictable I played it safe with the supersports.

Considering how good the super sports were though I can only imagine how sticky the R888's are  :driver:

dansmith180

« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2015, 10:59:13 am »

I was on a cool down lap but some nice stuff came past, the BMW was being driven seriously hard  :driver:

Watch for the orange GTR about 30 seconds in.

Hopefully these videos work as it's taken me since yesterday evening to get them sorted.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Silverstone GP track day. now with videos.
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2015, 03:48:07 pm »
Great videos! :happy2:

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 10
  • My Ride: Golf 6R
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Silverstone GP track day. now with videos.
« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2015, 08:48:19 pm »
Some wicked pictures mate, driven Silverstone in a GTR for a few laps but would love to take the Golf round and give it a hammering  :grin:
R-tech powered Mk6 Golf R
** Mk5 GTI Track build: >>Here<< **