Make a donation

Author Topic: Sale section protocol / etiquette.  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
Sale section protocol / etiquette.
« on: September 28, 2014, 06:37:26 pm »
Someone posts an item for sale, and it's reasonably popular, lots of interest. Which of these options is the preferred format of sales protocol?

1. First person to say "Me please at the asking price!" means the seller is obliged to sell to him at the asking price. If someone offers less than the asking price and then is trumped by a "Me please at the asking price!" then the seller is allowed to ignore the low offer and must sell to the second buyer who wants the item. If someone is asking questions/considering options and hasn't actually committed to buying by saying "Me please at the asking price!" then anyone else can buy it using the same method.

2. The seller is in complete charge of the sale and may sell to whoever they wish. "First dibs!", "Me please at the asking price", or "Would you consider a swap for a pack of jelly babies!" means nothing if the seller decides they wish to sell to someone else. Personal messages are allowed to discuss the various sales terms etc. Think of it more as an advert in a shop window which is just inviting people to contact the seller.

Personally, my view is that the seller is the one with the item for sale, and may choose what he wishes to do with it. My reasoning is as follows. Wild example.

I post a set of xenon headlights for sale at £500, collection preferred but can post if necessary. Four people reply.

First person says "I'll take these please. I'll paypal you next week when I get paid. I'll collect them when I've got a spare day off."

Second person says "Will you take £450 and I'd like them posted please."

Third person says "I'll take them at £500 and will need them posting."

Fourth person says "Hi mate. Can I take these at the asking price and Ill collect this evening when I call for the indicators I bought in the other thread."

Why in Christs name would the seller need to think anything other than "I'll sell them to my mate who lives round the corner and is coming for something else anyway."

Some forums follow the "First come first served" method, and it can end up with the seller having to communicate with someone who has let them down previously by not turning up, or some other poor experience.

Some forums follow the "Seller decided" method and members who shout "Me please" get annoyed at being trumped.

Which is the one on this forum, as I just saw a sales thread which prompted this post.  :drinking:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 09:03:22 pm by Viking »
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Sals section protocol / etiquette.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 06:46:34 pm »
Its down to the seller to act in an honourable manner. Its virtually impossible for us to set "trading rules" and enforce them

Offline GTi-Andy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 06:51:41 pm »
I would say it's down to the seller, but in my opinion it should be in first come first served at a mutually accepted price. Remember, you snooze you lose, so get in there quick!

So much for keeping it standard!

Offline DANBOY66

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,74301.0.html
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 07:34:09 pm »

first to come with the money gets the item

been messed about many times over the years people saying I will take it and not hearing from them again

it has to be down to the seller

Dan..

Seat Ibiza cupra 06 1.8T GTX2867R GEN2 track toy in the making
Passat TDI 170 DSG the Family mini cab

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 07:52:30 pm »
^^^  :happy2: total agree  :drinking:

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 08:32:48 pm »
It's down to the seller and if they wish to honour anyone saying first dibs in a thread or not. Some people post and PM to buy, some just go straight to PM'ing to keep projects quiet until they are complete etc etc.

So imo it's down to the seller

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 08:47:32 pm »
Unless there's lots of dodgy dealings, I see no reason why we need to make the whole thing very transparent. I've bought things off other forumites without having to post in the for sale section. In the end, the seller can choose who they sell to and for how much. I know on some forums, everything has to be out in the open - no dealing through PMs until it's time to exchange details.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Sale section protocol / etiquette.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 09:37:42 am »
I will sell to whoever offers me the closest to the deal I wanted, and who pays first.

For high cost items I take deposits (of around £20) which on a £500+ item the buyer would obviously be serious about it.
Most people in the VAG scene are fairly trustworthy and if they've seen you/your car about at shows that implies a level of trust.

I am splitting my car at the moment and the amount of frigging timewasters I've had is almost hilarious.
I've "sold" my K04 kit about 6 times and each time the "buyer" has said they'd message me tomorrow or at the weekend or whatever when they get paid and they never have.. I've asked for a small deposit around £20 to secure it for them and none of them obviously wanted it enough.
So ultimately it's the first person to flash the cash as I am a decent, honest seller and I expect the same from the buyers

I sold my BBS RC's through The Wheel Sanctury (wheel whores website).
A few guys messaged me and one, Stuart, said he would pay for them at the weekend and arrange a courier.
Not expecting much I said if you'd be happy to send me a £20 deposit I'll hold them for a couple of weeks.
He sent me a £50 deposit via PayPal Gift and had very good communication throughout.
On Sunday as promised he paid me the remaining balance again via PayPal Gift and he arranged for a courier and they went last Wednesday. He got them on Thursday and he was very happy.
It was the most pleasant and easy going transaction I've had.

Likewise my Merc wheels I sold them through Facebook - with a £20 deposit and held them for just over a week and the remaining balance paid by Bank Transfer and all collected and happy days.

On detailing world they have a premise where everything is posted up publically and none of this "Pm'd" crap.

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Sale section protocol / etiquette.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 10:33:32 am »
As long as it's "Seller decides" then that makes me very happy. I see no reason why the buyer should be in control of the sale when the goods are not actually his to dictate. As I see it, being allowed to buy something you want or need is a privilege, not a god given right. Sellers get a hard enough time sorting through the time wasters anyway without being forced to complete a sale with someone they might not like very much as well.  :grin:
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.