Make a donation

Author Topic: Morgens ED30 No. 1871 - New suspension & audio!  (Read 129195 times)

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 10
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
Re: Morgens (currently broken) ED30 No. 1871!
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2016, 11:44:11 pm »
Which spacers do you have on?

None now, I've removed them haha! They were sh*tty halfords non hub centric ones just to clear the strut.

Wheel fell off?! What did it feel like? How fast were you going? Did the whole car just drop? coupled with horrible grinding? I would have thought that that would definitely have damaged something! Lucky

There was no strange feeling through the steering, no wobbles or funny noises. I had just pulled away from a roundabout when it happened, I had approximately one second of wobble before the wheel dropped as well as the car.. No grinding! In that second I managed to stop thankfully so that's why there's no damage  :innocent:

Non hubcentric spacers are very stupid / daft.

We're not all perfect and they have been removed.

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2016, 11:46:22 pm »
Update:

The vibration at 60+ mph had disappeared for a few days but has come back while on a spirited drive.. I'm now looking into the front brake discs being warped as that seems the next best port of call  :sick:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2016, 11:50:53 pm »
If the vibration dissappeared when you put your mams wheels on then it can only be a problem with your wheels

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2016, 12:10:36 am »
If the vibration dissappeared when you put your mams wheels on then it can only be a problem with your wheels

The vibration went away for a few days when I took my spacers off too, so I'm not convinced. It doesn't make much sense  :confused:

Offline ed30Lewis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
  • R-Tech Stage 2+ Candy White Ed30 #2219
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2016, 08:15:10 am »
Update:

The vibration at 60+ mph had disappeared for a few days but has come back while on a spirited drive.. I'm now looking into the front brake discs being warped as that seems the next best port of call  :sick:

Hopefully your R32 calipers and discs will resolve it for you then :driver:

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2016, 11:31:28 am »
Update:

Hopefully your R32 calipers and discs will resolve it for you then :driver:

Exactly my thoughts  :innocent:

My boyfriend's getting them powdercoated for me as my 21st birthday present, so they won't be on until the start of June.. I'll just need to live with it for now!  :ashamed:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2016, 12:23:14 pm »
Could you try your mams wheels again with out the spacers for a day and see if that gets rid of it and try your wheels with out the spacers on you mams and see if the vibration is still thier
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:49:38 pm by maxitrol »

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #247 on: April 13, 2016, 12:46:06 pm »
I reckon it's the spacers...I had 5mm spacers on my golfR & it had steering wheel vibration,swapped it for 8mm hubcentrics & it's all gone

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #248 on: April 14, 2016, 03:29:25 pm »
It's not gonna be warped discs... because if the run out was so big it would cause you issues without being on the brakes then it would cause the car to shake itself to pieces if you went on the brakes.

The issues are either related your spacers or the wheels not being on tightly enough or you are losing wheel weights.

Take the car to a decent tyre shop. Have the wheels balanced and fitted (and torqued).
bet the problem will go away..

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #249 on: April 14, 2016, 04:48:08 pm »
It's not gonna be warped discs... because if the run out was so big it would cause you issues without being on the brakes then it would cause the car to shake itself to pieces if you went on the brakes.

The issues are either related your spacers or the wheels not being on tightly enough or you are losing wheel weights.

Take the car to a decent tyre shop. Have the wheels balanced and fitted (and torqued).
bet the problem will go away..

I've been trying to diagnose the issue for months - it's been to several different garages and the front wheels have been balanced multiple times but the issue remains. I now don't have the spacers fitted at all as the 205s clear the strut, so this is why I'm at a lost cause. The wheels are 100% on tightly enough as they've been torqued since the wheel incident last weekend  :confused: I've literally eliminated all issues with spacers, tyres and wheels but the vibration keeps coming back after a few days of thinking it was fixed. I don't understand what it could possibly be. Warped discs has been suggested by a few people as well as a sticky caliper so I'll find out if either of these are an option when the new brakes go on. No garage has been able to tell me the issue and it's been to a very very reputable one, too. They were baffled  :sad1:

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2016, 11:23:19 pm »
Are you running sticky pads?Would it be bits of pad stuck on the discs to cause the vibration?i had it on mine,re-skimmed the discs & it was gone

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2016, 05:17:49 pm »
Are you running sticky pads?Would it be bits of pad stuck on the discs to cause the vibration?i had it on mine,re-skimmed the discs & it was gone

I've NEVER had vibration without braking.

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #252 on: May 01, 2016, 06:15:40 pm »
Not much has happened car wise recently, which is a shame! I've been more interested in taking photos of my boyfriends mk4 than I have been when it comes to doing anything to my own  :innocent: It is beautiful though:

After being in his which is lovely and clean inside I figured I'd do something about the state of the inside of mines! My seats were starting to look utterly filthy.. Spilling milkshake on the passenger seat definitely didn't help :sad1:

I don't think the interior has ever had a deep clean - Which gives me the fear a little bit due to it being an 8 year old, 5 previous owner car. So much filth!

Passenger seat:

Front seats out:

Hoovering/Wet vaccing commenced:

So that was last weekends job, just a little bit of TLC which she's been seriously lacking in lately! The weekend before I gave the exterior a clean because that was horrid, too! I took photos of course, because I enjoy that  :ashamed:

Foamy  :drool:

Gave my mums a quick going over cause she asked nicely

Aaaand back to mines:

Fingered my pipes for a bit

Though they're a bit far gone  :sad1:

Glazed and waxed: as I had no polish left...

OFF TOPIC - Our friend was also over with his 16 reg Fiesta Zetec S (1.0 ecoboost which has just been mapped to 150 something bhp.. nippy little thing!) and he gave that a nice wax etc... A black 16 reg car has to be THE MOST SATSIFYING THING IN THE WORLD to wash! Gorgeous finish

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:27:23 pm by Morgen »

Offline shaunnorris7

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 16
  • 2008 GT TDI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,93860.0.html
« Reply #253 on: June 08, 2016, 01:42:13 pm »
Are you still looking for some Helio's?

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
Morgens (currently broken) ED30 No. 1871!
« Reply #254 on: July 06, 2016, 04:34:34 pm »
Are you still looking for some Helio's?

Unfortunately I can't afford wheels! Insurance was due on the 2nd of this month  :sick:

Not much to update again, been too busy spending my pennies on silly things like clothes and Xbox's... As I replied above, my insurance was due this month so that set me back £618 rather than the quoted £584 because of my non-fault claim in August last year... A £34 increase for having someone run into the back of my car while I was in my work is just unfair  :stupid: Although, £618 at the age of 21 on an edition 30 isn't really a figure I can complain about!

Secondly, I put my R32 brake calipers in for powdercoating which cost me £80 but it's an absolutely fantastic job!! Purchased new seals and a new pad retaining clip as one was missing and I thought I was good to go... Never even considered that the brake lines would be different! That's what I get for not doing any research  :signLOL:

Thirdly, my air con doesn't work and it never has so Adam decided to have a look at my fuses to see if it was as simple as that (I think the compressor is goosed because that's the sort of luck I have) and managed to pull one for my airbags.. Hello little orange symbol on my dash! He contacted a guy with a cable to fit mines because he has a mk4 and it's a different cable, but anyway long story short: my light was soon back out and while I was there I bagged myself a generic remap for the cost of a bottle of irn-bru. The guy has a lovely mk6r he's tuned by himself to 360bhp.. Had a passenger run in that and I was impressed. Mines is definitely faster too now, I'm just sad I have no idea on power output.

Two days into giving my car death because it feels so beautifully fast and I have a dead coil :( Purchased R8 coils to replace mines because why not... Fitting them when I get home and I'm excited - I haven't been able to drive the car since Sunday!  :party: :party: :party:

Oh and I forgot, someone hit her while parked in a quiet car park three Sundays ago.. Marked the passenger side headlight, the wing and scuffed the bumper.. There is a special place in hell reserved for people that don't leave notes when they damage somebody elses car  :sad1:

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:49:20 pm by Morgen »