Make a donation

Author Topic: 16400/P0016/000022 - Bank 1: Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) UPDATE with pics.  (Read 24610 times)

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
My 06 100k gti last week let me down for the first time in about 4 years.

After driving about 400 yards I noticed that the engine was down on power and running rough. It was similar to when I had a coil pack die on me. Anyway I managed to make it the short drive home where I called my local independent garage who arranged to get it towed the next morning. We both assumed it was another dead coil pack.

However once vagcom and performed a scan it came back with the above error code. The timing belt was inspected and found to be fine, attention then focused on the timing chain.

When I bought the car about 5.5 years ago I had the chain and tensioner changed under warranty as it sounded like a bag of spanners! From this point it never started quite as well and would often shudder slightly on idle. I decided to ignore it as it would still pull like a train when I put my foot down, obviously if it got worse or I noticed a drop in performance I'd get it inspected. I did think it was an injector on its way out but I've always ru it v power in an attempt to avoid this issue.

The car has been very well looked after and serviced every 10k using the correct castrol edge/fst oil.

The timing chain / tensioner is going to be inspected on Monday as my mechanic thinks the tensioner has failed allowing the chain to slip one tooth but I'm keen to understand if anyone has experienced something similar or could offer any advice.

Thanks

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 02:16:25 pm by holepunch »

Offline fei5al

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: 16400/P0016/000022 - Bank 1: Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 11:55:36 pm »
I had a similar issue and a scan came up with camshaft position sensor. I had the part no 06C905163B camshaft positon sensor changed. It is a lot better, but when i  acclerate sometimes get a slight lag then it flies. Never really happens when driven normally.  I can live with it but still bugs me at times.
06 Mk5 gti DSG with 65K  its got St 1 map and Autotec HPFP internals and cam follower lobe changed as well and had the DSG service done (very impressed with the result).
Good luck with your efforts.

Offline rosscoe63

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 04:51:44 pm »
sounds incredibly similar to a friends car. Problem happened a fortnight ago on his rocco. Trailered way from my house to VW where a friendly tech looked at it. Ultimately the chain had stretched (it too is a well looked after car) and the hpfp had failed......

......once mended the tech had problems getting the vvt timing spot on (unsure why) but this appeared to cause similar issues with the 'lag' that is mentioned.

Im no teccy wizard, the above is my recollection of what we have been told!

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 02:14:55 pm »
Well that was an expensive repair!

As expected the timing chain, adjuster & tensioner were to blame.

[/URL]

However what I wasn't expecting was the fuel pump lobe on the cam shaft to be so badly warn.  It might be difficult to pick up on these iphone photos but there is a significant amount of wear and scoring.

[/URL]

Cam follower having done 60k

[/URL]

The worry was that not getting the cam shaft replaced would cause problems further down the road, but costs were eye watering!

To cut along story short after nearly 3 weeks I have the car back and on the initial run home its running better than ever having had the cam shaft, cam follower, timing belt & chain + associated tensioners, hydraulic adjusters changed.

This whole saga has probably put me off buying a VW ever again considering all these parts were replaced under warranty 4 years (60k miles) ago and during all this time it has been very well looked after.

With the car having done 100k,  is there any point submitting a warranty claim to VW? Any advice on this would be most appreciated.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
You have the early 'A' camshaft that is prone to wear.  You have been lucky to only need the camshaft changing!
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline edd30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Holepunch
How old is your car ?

You have the early 'A' camshaft that is prone to wear.  You have been lucky to only need the camshaft changing!

Is there a way of identifying these softer camshafts ?

Was there a recall on these ?

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Holepunch
How old is your car ?

It's only AXX engine codes affected.
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Its a 2006 car with a BWA engine.

Howver having just taken a look at the CAM shaft I can see its an 06f 109 101 A version!!

Holepunch
How old is your car ?

It's only AXX engine codes affected.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Yes...topic is camshaft sensor. But someone may pull this up regarding camshaft wear.
So, this is the tri-lobe specs. It only takes a loss of 1.0mm to 1.5mm for the HPFP to struggle to make its actual pressure match the target pressure.

K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1