Make a donation

Author Topic: Glow plug issue  (Read 5050 times)

Offline eos

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Glow plug issue
« on: November 19, 2014, 04:20:51 pm »
I've been having a couple of rough starts recently and it look like I have a fault somewhere in the glow plug system, when I turn on the ignition the glow plug light turns on for half a second then off again and although it starts first time it's a bit rough as it would if the glow plugs weren't on.

These were the alarms present when Eddie installed my RNS:
Alarms:

17057 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit (Q12)
            P0673 - 000 - Electrical Fault - Intermittent

16784 - EGR System
            P0400 - 000 - Malfunction

After doing a bit of searching it looked to be the harness which is quite a common failure so I booked it in, the garage gave me a call yesterday saying the harness has tested fine but the fault is that there's no power getting to the plugs so the relay needs changing.

They then call me back this morning saying they've changed the relay/controller but that hasn't had any effect and they think it's either the ECU or the wiring from the ECU to the relay/controller and in order to test said wire they need to remove the ECU (Which I'm a little dubious about).

I did ask if they'd unplugged the coolant sensor, but they said they've tried to manually turn the plugs on from the ECU with no luck, I also asked if they'd checked the ignition sensor to the ECU but they said they'd checked that too...now being quite a cynical person I'm dubious at the fact they can test a wire from the ignition to the ECU but not from the relay/controller to the ECU without removing it, am I missing something?

I'm a little concerned they might be trying it on a little, has anyone any prior experience to the glow plug circuit and is what they're saying plausible, could there be an issue with the ECU without the alarms lighting up like an xmas tree?

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: Glow plug issue
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 04:53:17 pm »
I've been having a couple of rough starts recently and it look like I have a fault somewhere in the glow plug system, when I turn on the ignition the glow plug light turns on for half a second then off again and although it starts first time it's a bit rough as it would if the glow plugs weren't on.

These were the alarms present when Eddie installed my RNS:
Alarms:

17057 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit (Q12)
            P0673 - 000 - Electrical Fault - Intermittent

16784 - EGR System
            P0400 - 000 - Malfunction

After doing a bit of searching it looked to be the harness which is quite a common failure so I booked it in, the garage gave me a call yesterday saying the harness has tested fine but the fault is that there's no power getting to the plugs so the relay needs changing.

They then call me back this morning saying they've changed the relay/controller but that hasn't had any effect and they think it's either the ECU or the wiring from the ECU to the relay/controller and in order to test said wire they need to remove the ECU (Which I'm a little dubious about).

I did ask if they'd unplugged the coolant sensor, but they said they've tried to manually turn the plugs on from the ECU with no luck, I also asked if they'd checked the ignition sensor to the ECU but they said they'd checked that too...now being quite a cynical person I'm dubious at the fact they can test a wire from the ignition to the ECU but not from the relay/controller to the ECU without removing it, am I missing something?

I'm a little concerned they might be trying it on a little, has anyone any prior experience to the glow plug circuit and is what they're saying plausible, could there be an issue with the ECU without the alarms lighting up like an xmas tree?

What engine type 140 or 170 or (engine code) and year is your vehicle?

Offline eos

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 04:56:07 pm »
What engine type 140 or 170 or (engine code) and year is your vehicle?

2004 2.0 SDI - Engine code: BDK

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 05:29:17 pm »
Their answers seem some what vague but they've only got two wires from the ECU which go to the glow plug control module J179 if it would help I could email you the drawing?

Offline eos

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 05:44:01 pm »
He was quite vague on the phone, hence my concern :(

He did seem to know the pin out of the control module and mentioned it's two wires going to the ECU, the thing I'm more concerned about is his umming and arring about the fact it could be the ECU.

They're going to check the two wires tomorrow, but are they right in saying they can only be checked by unseating the ECU?

The diagrams would be helpful, I have the hayne's but I'm just learning how utterly useless they are these days and I'm tempted to get the proper Bently one.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:46:17 pm by eos »

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 05:56:23 pm »
I've had a few faulty harness but there's two connectors to check in the engine compartment( 10pin & 14 pin) - send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the drawings later on tonight

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 08:10:22 pm »
Documents email :happy2:

Offline eos

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 08:31:37 pm »
Documents email :happy2:

Received with thanks, they're really useful  :jumpmove:

Offline Tdigadge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 12:52:08 pm »
Alright guys, I know I'm bumping an old thread here but I'm in this very position and after the same info if anyone still has it.. Also what was the outcome? Cheers