Make a donation

Author Topic: URGENT - Door and lock Modules  (Read 4306 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
URGENT - Door and lock Modules
« on: January 16, 2015, 09:57:48 pm »
I have 2004 GT TDI

I'm having issues with the door not locking and the mirror, puddle lights etc do not work. Can someone advise me

1. Does the door have a single module that does it all? or two? one for the lock and one for the rest of the items?
2. Does anyone know what controllers/module it uses?

Many thanks
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: URGENT - Door and lock Modules
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:11:36 pm »
Start by getting a VCDS scan - then check the wiring between the door and A pillar - that year range required a modified harness as the original was too short from the factory!

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/door-wiring-harness-cracked-wire-replacement-mk5-vw/

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:25:32 pm »
I have the VCDS scan here - does not really show much other than a possible faulty with the Central locking module etc. the garage did advise this could also mean there is a wiring issue.

However is would be EXPENSIVE for them to go though all this to try and find the fault. That is a GREAT write up thank you.

First point will be to remove ALL plastic covers see if the wires are broken. Failing that I will need to replace part(s) maybe the loom, then the controllers if the door still remains faulty
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 09:13:58 pm »
Are the door/window/lock module etc all one unit? had my door cover off today and can only see the one unit........

Can't see any wiring issues, but scan has said fault with door module - nothing more specific

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 09:20:33 pm »
I was told it comes as one unit attached to the window motor

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 09:24:33 pm »
When you took the door card off that was the door module you could see - not so come to fail but do occasionally fail.

However,this link below is for the door lock how too - these are common failure item on the mkv.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,52585.0.html

Now your faults are a combination of both items, that's why I suggested the harness but without seeing it that's the best I can offer you.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 09:28:19 pm »
Thank you. As you can imagine I sooooo wanted to avoid taking the skin off. Seems a big job.

Would the lock REALLLY cause a problems with the rest of the functions? mirror etc?

If I use the key the remote locking works? which make me thing the lock is fine?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 09:30:05 pm »
I did take a pic of the motor/module when I remove the door.

Wiring looks fine, I just need to remove the rubber between the door/body make sure there is no split.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 09:33:56 pm »
When mine was playing up none of the buttons worked ie windows  mirror switch or fuel

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 09:38:45 pm »
I did take a pic of the motor/module when I remove the door.

Wiring looks fine, I just need to remove the rubber between the door/body make sure there is no split.
Where you haven't checked is the common place they fail for the wiring.
http://imageshack.com/i/1120120917122250j

Google how to remove the banjo rubber as there easily broken
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:43:15 pm by doylebros »

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 09:44:06 pm »
I ran out of time today........otherwise I will be checking the wiring before I do anything.

Maxi - how much are these controllers? was in the inside one? or the lock one you had to replace?

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 09:47:35 pm »
Handy you took the picture as there's plenty modules about but you need the correct one for all the features to operate - below will explain.

http://www.my-gti.com/2158/volkswagen-golf-jetta-door-controller-information-mark-v

The last part of this thread will help you remove the banjo for inspection

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,83850.msg862958.html#msg862958
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:54:28 pm by doylebros »

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 09:53:52 pm »
Thanks...

Mine ends in 792D? does this mean they are OLD?

Could I replace for Generation 3 (M, N or Q) to give me the extra features?

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 09:54:19 pm »
It was the inside one!Never replaced it in the end as it has been working ever since i took the plug out and back in again

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 10:08:52 pm »
Thanks Doylebros  great links thank you  :happy2:

I will do full check of the wiring. Inside the door looks OK, removed checked and reconnected plugs. Will check the door one over the next couple of days.

Could I replace my old units (if faulty)  for Generation 3 (M, N or Q) to give me the extra features?