Make a donation

Author Topic: Does the RNS510 hum/buzz after use??  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
Does the RNS510 hum/buzz after use??
« on: November 25, 2009, 07:10:18 pm »
YAY! Just had my RNS510 installed today at VW Blackburn. Took them an hour and a half!! Anyway, the charge was as per quoted at £55 incl vat so am happy with that  :happy2:

Question - after the units first use from the VW garage to home and after turning the unit off and the car's engine, I noticed a quiet humming noise from the unit. Is this normal? I sat in the car for a few minutes but it carried on. I then left the car for an hour and when i came back all was quiet. It's since done it again. Is it cooling itself down?

I'm not overly concerned except for the posting about a newly fitted RNS510 flattening a battery - could the unit be using battery charge after everything is switched off?

Cheers - Phil
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: Does the RNS510 hum/buzz after use??
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:13:06 pm »
Yeh it will whur away for a while. It doesn't turn itself straight off in case you return to your car after a short period

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:23:51 pm »
It has a cooling fan built into the rear of the set.  It is normal for the fan to remain on cooling the set after use.  It will shut down after a few mins.

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 07:25:49 pm »
Phil, where did you buy the rns 510 from if you don't mind me asking??
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 09:42:08 pm »
The satnav, when first started, takes ages to startup and be useable. If you get out and return to the car within twenty minutes, it will be ready to use straight away. After twenty minutes, you have to wait for it to load again. Bit like sleep mode and bootup in a computer.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 11:19:48 pm »
Thanks for the reassurances chaps  :happy2:

I'm prob not gonna use it too much as a sat nav but it looks so, so, soooooooooooo much better than the basic RCD300 model and i'm sure the sound quality is much better......or is it because i'm convincing myself of that cuz of the loadsa dosh i spent on it!

Oli - I bought it off Ebay, but it's not one of the Lithuanian or other "foreign" ones. The chap selling it lived in Bury only about 15 miles away so I saved myself £20 odd quid in postage and collected it. He'd taken it out of his Seat Leon before selling the car. It's a VW RNS510 with VW start up screen and part number, version B with all maps installed but no disc. He supplied a new GPS antenna as he couldn't get his other one out!

Costwise I beat the highest bidder by £5 with 3 seconds to go and got it for £505, so i'm quite chuffed with that. It really is worth it  :smiley:

Btw, he left his crappy music on the HDD................who the hell are a group called "Elbow"  :confused:
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 11:24:11 pm »
Elbow are from bury! Lol. I think? "throw those curtains wide, one day like this a year will see me right" I quite like that song!

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 11:27:32 pm »
Elbow are from bury! Lol. I think? "throw those curtains wide, one day like this a year will see me right" I quite like that song!
:signLOL:
I prefer Pantera  :laugh:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 11:29:25 pm »
I'm lost!

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 01:11:14 am »