Make a donation

Author Topic: 85k and time for a refresh. damping / coilover / bushing questions  (Read 1506 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
Hi. I did put this in my build thread but it gets easily missed

Suspension question
I've currently got H&R springs on OEM dampers and the ride is pretty good i'd say but i'd like to replace the dampers as they have now done 85k. I think the springs have sagged quite a bit from when I fitted them and also with the new wider tyres they might be rubbing slightly on turn in although I cannot see any contact points at all.

I also want to keep as comfortable a ride as possible!! Shall I go for the MK6 Bilstein B8 dampers with my existing springs or B14 coil overs giving me the ability to raise it slightly if indeed it is the tyres rubbing.. although I'm wondering if its worn top mounts causing the noise.

Are the B14 much stiffer than the H&R / B8 combo?

Bushes question
Again as its on 85k I'm thinking i'll refresh these. I've got a WALK on there but it was a used from from AKS and I see people are tending to go for the superpro one now.
Which bushes are most important to change. I haven't got a bottomless pit of money unfortunately so if its pointless doing some bushes I'd rather leave them for now.

Also which bushes for an improvement but again without giving me a solid rock hard ride?

Finally anything else I should look at given its age and mileage? Engine mounts? I can't say I ever drive it and think "boy that engine is moving a lot" but maybe its an essential mod and I don't know what I'm missing??

Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any advice / comments.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline poweller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Re: 85k and time for a refresh. damping / coilover / bushing questions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 11:34:35 am »
Alright i recently got b8's as i do with most of the car i buy...they are just perfect for fast road use...they are firm with comfort!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 05:16:19 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Are those the mk5 or mk6 dampers?

Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline NickG60

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 08:01:09 am »
I am at 98k and wondering the same things as you. My exhaust recently pulled itself out of its backbox , so i am thinking something like the Powerflex dogbone insert and lower engine mount bush may be a good idea. (The original exhaust clamps rusting through may not have helped though.)