Make a donation

Author Topic: Retrofit of Discover Media/ Composition Media head units to a Mk5/ Mk6 Golf  (Read 116093 times)

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
As far as I can find out it is also likely that additional items we are using with our RNS etc like MDI, phone kits, rear view cameras etc won't be compatable with these units  :sad1:

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • Redditch
This units has BT build in. RVC should work on it as it has the same input. MDI - never used it since i can stream the music from my phone. Useless for me.

I still think its a great unit but I'm not going to spend £1k on the unit plus £150 for fitting they asking. For that sort of money I can get quite good audio set up for my boot hehe
STAGING/NEEDLE SWEEP ON ALL WHITE CLOCKS
LIT NEEDLESS, MILES TO EMPTY
GENUINE CAN GATEWAY - SUPPLY AND FIT
CRUISE CONTROL -  SUPPLY AND FIT ALL VW's
CLOCKS CODING - VW SEAT SKODA UP TO 2014
SCIROCCO CLOCKS CONVERSION

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
This units has BT build in. RVC should work on it as it has the same input. MDI - never used it since i can stream the music from my phone. Useless for me.

I still think its a great unit but I'm not going to spend £1k on the unit plus £150 for fitting they asking. For that sort of money I can get quite good audio set up for my boot hehe
If BT is in the unit anyway that's good to know. My RVC connection is a rectangular block and from the pictures Iv seen of the rear of these new units I couldn't see the connector - hope I'm wrong cause I do really want one of these. Please correct me if I'm wrong but if streaming music from my iPhone the Album cover art wouldn't show so would need the MDI (or equivalent) for that to display. That's one of the big draws of this unit for me. I can't find any information if these new units would display nav info etc etc through the MFD in the dash. Do you know if they would?

Offline jettamike

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1

If BT is in the unit anyway that's good to know. My RVC connection is a rectangular block and from the pictures Iv seen of the rear of these new units I couldn't see the connector - hope I'm wrong cause I do really want one of these. Please correct me if I'm wrong but if streaming music from my iPhone the Album cover art wouldn't show so would need the MDI (or equivalent) for that to display. That's one of the big draws of this unit for me. I can't find any information if these new units would display nav info etc etc through the MFD in the dash. Do you know if they would?

I've currently got a courtesy Beetle with this unit in it. The navigation is displayed in the dashboard on that- though I'm not sure how well it would play with the mk5 setup. The stereo is the only thing I like about the beetle, think it did a DPF regen yesterday - it smelt like the car was going to combust on me!

Offline kmo17

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Retrofit of Discover Media/ Composition Media head units to a Mk5/ Mk6 Golf
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2015, 09:43:29 am »
could anyone shed some light with this head unit ? http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Genuine-Upgrade-RCD510-VOLKSWAGEN-VW-PQ-platform-MIB-System-for-PQ-platform-support-mirrorlink-Super-Bluetooth/1711589_32553440876.html ? saw it on a chinese part seller. Looks really great and it has a couple of extra features from the old rcd 510 . Did anyone saw this before ,could it be fitted on a mk5 ? cheers !!

Offline J400uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98768.0.html
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2015, 06:17:56 pm »
could anyone shed some light with this head unit ? http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Genuine-Upgrade-RCD510-VOLKSWAGEN-VW-PQ-platform-MIB-System-for-PQ-platform-support-mirrorlink-Super-Bluetooth/1711589_32553440876.html ? saw it on a chinese part seller. Looks really great and it has a couple of extra features from the old rcd 510 . Did anyone saw this before ,could it be fitted on a mk5 ? cheers !!

Good spot, hadn't come across that before. Looks like a replacement for the Chinese market RCD 510 which has been covered before. In theory that could be the answer to easily and cheaply get CarPlay in a Mk5/ Mk6 Golf with minimal effort whilst keeping it OEM. Suspect it will have the usual caveat of no RDS, meaning station names aren't displayed and you just get 96.4 FM on the screen. Unfortunately I haven't got one anymore to try it with otherwise I'd buy!
2015 Audi TT Sport Scuba Blue 2.0 TFSI 230 PS

Offline kmo17

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2015, 02:07:49 pm »
would try to buy this ,i did not see any review on this product yet..on any site forum or retail page. i hope i would not have the same problem withe discover media pro unit..cheers

gvforces

Hey guys,
I have recently gotten my hands on one of these. I've tried on a Golf MK6 and a MK5. I cannot get it to communicate with the car via the can wires. I added the other power cable. The radio turns on and has sound. But the lights do not come on it does not recognize the car and I have tried using VCDS to get into the radio, the car does not see the radio either.
A lot of functions in the radio are disabled because it asks for the ignition to be ON.
Any news on this? I read about component protection any way that can be removed? Is that the problem or do I need to add or change some hardware

Offline nico33

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
Since it looks so difficult to retrofit a Discover, I'm considering to buy the new Zenec E2026
Anyone had good or bad experience with this ? (I mean the old version E2015)
What do you think ?
Can it be as good and well integrated as an original VW could be ?

cbx750p

Hey guys,
I have recently gotten my hands on one of these. I've tried on a Golf MK6 and a MK5. I cannot get it to communicate with the car via the can wires. I added the other power cable. The radio turns on and has sound. But the lights do not come on it does not recognize the car and I have tried using VCDS to get into the radio, the car does not see the radio either.
A lot of functions in the radio are disabled because it asks for the ignition to be ON.
Any news on this? I read about component protection any way that can be removed? Is that the problem or do I need to add or change some hardware

Hi M8, does the set you have obtained came with the Component Protection unlocked ? 

Spoke to several suppliers but they are not able to provide the unlocked version.

Please advise.

Thanks

Offline aadilp1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Hey guys,

Hi M8, does the set you have obtained came with the Component Protection unlocked ? 

Spoke to several suppliers but they are not able to provide the unlocked version.

Please advise.

Thanks

ive got one of these too and also tried in my car.. same no communication and a lot of the features are not working. The component protection is unlocked

Offline mvb12

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
So to clarify this is absolutely useless for mk5/mk6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • Redditch
No its not. I know the guy ho fitted it in 2004 Touran and it works fine.
Wiring in MK5/6 is different so had to be rewired.
STAGING/NEEDLE SWEEP ON ALL WHITE CLOCKS
LIT NEEDLESS, MILES TO EMPTY
GENUINE CAN GATEWAY - SUPPLY AND FIT
CRUISE CONTROL -  SUPPLY AND FIT ALL VW's
CLOCKS CODING - VW SEAT SKODA UP TO 2014
SCIROCCO CLOCKS CONVERSION

Offline aadilp1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
No its not. I know the guy ho fitted it in 2004 Touran and it works fine.
Wiring in MK5/6 is different so had to be rewired.

Theres a guy abroad (forgot where hes from) who has also retrofitted to a 2012 Passat B7

Offline mvb12

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
Who can do it as i want one. Any details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)