Make a donation

Author Topic: White "Lion" Cupra - DSG converted track car  (Read 92258 times)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: White "Lion" Cupra - DSG converted track car
« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2018, 09:03:54 pm »
Yeap! This Leon looks the business! Glad you could get the DSG sorted so quickly and that the car is running as it should! :drinking:

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2018, 09:57:21 pm »
I got the wheels from Germany, you can try also VW Racing Poland.

The car is running ok, but it is pretty hard to keep my hands off the boost controller until the software update.  :driver:
Unfortunately a new problem has come up. It seems that while driving the car on D, at low rpm, immediately after some spirited driving, the oil pressure red light is coming up and I have to stop. After 5 mins, I start the car and everything seems ok again. Oil level is fine.

I have the 1.8T pump which makes lower pressure than the 2.0T oil pump, but I didn't have this problem over the course of 1 year. My theory is that I never drove the car at such low rpm as now, while in D the DSG gearbox shifts at under 2000 rpm and maybe this causes the pump to do lower pressure than my 2.0T pressure sensor is expecting.
My mechanic told me that we'll first change the oil and filter and told me he'll check my oil pressure. I don't know how he will do that, I don't have a gauge, but he's assuring me that he can do it.
And I have to check the subframe bolts, I've heard a knock at lower speeds and I know that was unmounted to change the clutch. It never ends... :phew:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #242 on: April 07, 2018, 10:40:22 am »
Can't wait to see the wheels fitted, they look brilliant  :smiley:

What oil are you running?  You could try a thicker grade to help with the lower pressure?

Your mechanic will likely connect a mechanical pressure gauge to the outlet on the oil filter housing  :happy2:

Do you have the TyrolSport deadset fitted to the subframe?  It sorts that problem once and for all!

No, it doesn't ever end!  All cars are the same though.  At least with these cars the prices are reasonable.  If you were racing a 911, your bank account would die very quickly!!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
White "Lion" Cupra - DSG converted track car
« Reply #243 on: April 07, 2018, 01:07:43 pm »
You're a car master, I've spoken with the mechanic, that is exactly how he will control the oil pressure. :notworthy:

I think now I have Motul 300V Power 5W40. I have to check when I'll get home on Wednesday (here is the Orthodox Ester and It's a small holiday) what I have in my reserve. I believe I have 2 types, 6L Motul 300V Power 5W40 and 4L Motul 300V Competition 15W-50 (which is not enough because of the extra oil radiator, I believe I need a bit over 5L).
I don't know exactly what to use because 5W40 worked well until the DSG and If I keep the car in manual mode, always over 2000 rpms, everything seems ok. It might be that the oil gets thinner in time, I have about 6000km with it, some of them pretty hard ones. But my mechanic also suggested thicker oil and I could try 15W50 of which I only need 2 more litres.

You're right, It never ends. A problem which I thought I solved has reappeared, seems that the hpfp is faulty. I'm getting some mid rpms fuel cuts which are getting worse. Last time I've logged the hpfp I've seen numbers like 117-125 but this was not felt, now the cuts are obvious. I'm worried that I'll not get away without a new pump.  :phew:

On the plus side the DSG is brilliant. Now, with the new clutch pack it is lightning fast and I love the sound. I can't wait to see how it looks on those wheels with slicks too. Not much time left until 22.04 and I need to solve everything whith whatever resources I have.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 01:32:35 pm by teo_parvu »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #244 on: April 07, 2018, 04:22:22 pm »
That is how I would do it  :happy2:

They are very good oils  :happy2:  I always had good luck with this and it's reasonably priced - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwivh5evuqjaAhUMJMAKHYLxBQUQFghjMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.opieoils.co.uk%2Fp-68898-fuchs-titan-race-pro-s-10w-50-ester-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx&usg=AOvVaw0YQApCaUyPfbD4qOR9z7sq

So you have an external oil cooler?  Maybe that could be causing a pressure drop?  You could try bypassing it and see if the pressure comes back to normal?

I do wonder about these aftermarket HPFPs. I have a Loba pump, 3 years old now, and I also get really bad flat spots around 2000rpm.  I haven't logged the rail pressure yet but maybe the aftermarket pumps just aren't as well made as OEM and don't last?  Not sure!

Glad you like the DSG  :smiley:  I like it too, especially the latest version in the MK7.5  :laugh:  I hate it in auto mode though, it's always trying to find top gear too soon and when you kick down it seems to take too long to find the right gear.  If only there was a way to lock it to the paddles only!

Good luck with the problems mate, I'm sure you will sort them all out  :happy2:

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #245 on: April 08, 2018, 08:56:39 am »
Thanks for the advice!  :happy2:
You should try logging the pump again, that was how my problems started, but more important…
...don’t tell me you did it, you bought the new R with DQ380. Wow! That is super news!  :jumping:
A far better chassis, engine, is38, more refined, just wow... Best of luck with it!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #246 on: April 09, 2018, 11:43:02 am »
That is how I would do it  :happy2:

They are very good oils  :happy2:  I always had good luck with this and it's reasonably priced - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwivh5evuqjaAhUMJMAKHYLxBQUQFghjMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.opieoils.co.uk%2Fp-68898-fuchs-titan-race-pro-s-10w-50-ester-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx&usg=AOvVaw0YQApCaUyPfbD4qOR9z7sq

So you have an external oil cooler?  Maybe that could be causing a pressure drop?  You could try bypassing it and see if the pressure comes back to normal?

I do wonder about these aftermarket HPFPs. I have a Loba pump, 3 years old now, and I also get really bad flat spots around 2000rpm.  I haven't logged the rail pressure yet but maybe the aftermarket pumps just aren't as well made as OEM and don't last?  Not sure!

Glad you like the DSG  :smiley:  I like it too, especially the latest version in the MK7.5  :laugh:  I hate it in auto mode though, it's always trying to find top gear too soon and when you kick down it seems to take too long to find the right gear.  If only there was a way to lock it to the paddles only!

Good luck with the problems mate, I'm sure you will sort them all out  :happy2:

I have my DSG locked to what I do with the paddles/gear lever when in Manual Mode. It just down shifts by itself. It never up shifts. You can have that with a remap. Also, no kick down if I press too much the accelerator. :wink:

I only drive in Manual Mode but I do rarely use the gear lever when turning the wheel too much and needing to change a gear.

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: April 09, 2018, 06:32:47 pm »
I’ve lately used the DSG in manual mode too, the only problem is when the wheel is too turned. I still have trouble with the stick because it is unatural to shift exactly oposite to a secvential, but I’m slowly getting used to it.

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: April 13, 2018, 05:25:08 pm »

A small update:

I've logged the HPFP again, the car was clearly struggling to accelerate but the pump was doing 130+ bar, so the pump is not the root cause. That was a surprise, so I pulled over thinking to check for misfire, timing issues, etc. It was the last time this problem appeared and all the data logged looks good. Magically the problem disappeared.  :jumping:

I have just 8 days until the race and a low budget so I've ordered a new set of subframe spacers (Tyrol Sport will have to wait for next time  :sad1:), 15W-50W Motul Competition oil and a new filter, a CV boot (I have a broken one and it made a real mess) and a new diesel undertray for good airflow 1K0 825 237.
After everything will be installed I should do a new wheel alignment so I've scheduled one next Friday. With that I will be finally ready.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:28:19 pm by teo_parvu »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #249 on: April 13, 2018, 05:50:01 pm »
Good stuff  :happy2:

No no, I haven't bought a Golf R  :smiley:  I have driven one though. I was just saying I find the throttle response very laggy in auto mode.  It's more the gearbox than the engine though  :happy2:  With the paddles it's fine.  It can be dangerous in auto actually.  A couple of occasions I'd go for an overtake, shove my foot right down and it feels like it's slammed the brakes on whilst it faffs around finding a gear.  Really bad.  Not everyone will experience that, but I seem to find weaknesses in anything very quickly  :grin:

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2018, 06:11:09 pm »
You're not the only one, Pudd...I found this quite scary. I was trying to overtake while I still had some visibility and it took 1 sec to select the gear.  :scared: I'm trying to anticipate this and decelerate a bit before putting my foot down, but in a real emergency this is no solution.
I find it easy to use it in manual now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:33:36 pm by teo_parvu »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #251 on: April 13, 2018, 06:43:07 pm »
Yep, bad isn't it.  The things car makers don't tell you when you sign on the dotted line  :thinking:

But yes, manual mode only for me.  I prefer to be in control of the gears rather than a computer!  Just a shame you can't leave it in manual mode permanently.  It switches back to auto when you next start the car!  I do really like DSG though, much much better for getting a good launch without bogging the engine down  :happy2:

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #252 on: April 23, 2018, 07:50:52 pm »
What a day - Sunday ...

First of all a little about the race, time attack is more like a qualifying day in F1, you need to do a fast lap. We were split into 3 groups (green, yellow, blue) and 6 classes (Street, Tuned, Supersport, Race, Race+ and Unlimited) and 2 new ones according to some international rules that require roll cage (Pocket Rocket and Clubsprint) each claass with a specific weight/power ratio where coefficients are added for race tyres, adjustable suspension, aero, etc. After the technical inspection, I was in Race class.
For each group there are 3 15 min practice session in the morning, then there is a break, drivers briefing and 2 15 min race sessions. Then the first 5 from each class compete in a final session named Superlap that consists in warmup lap, fast lap, cooling lap.

I arrived at ROTAC (Romanian Time Attack Challenge) despite not doing any test lap with the car. I didn't know what to expect and I wanted to see where the package driver/car stands. So I've tried to get used to the car as quickly as possible, pushing it.
I beat my last year's record (1:54.238) in the first practice session (1:52.7), then in the second, I dropped one more second to 1:51.7. This was it, was wow, shaking, maximum happiness ... The time was so good, I was moved to the superior class, RACE+, according to the rules:

11.2 The ”104” Rule During practice or competition sessions, if the race officials observe a vehicle registering lap times lower than the average lap time of the imedtiately upper class, the respective vehicle will be promoted to the upper class for the following sessions. Average lap time means the average amount of times between "best time" of class and "best time" + 4%.

I was glad anyway, I still had some reserve and I was leading my class 2 seconds away from a 991 Turbo after the first 2 practice sessions, and second overall after a 991 GT3 CUP.  :surprised:

I was exited, but a DSG oil patch under the car was dragging me back on Earth. In the first race session race, a strange Nissan racecar with a wide wing didn't let me pass so I decided to do a cooldown and try again on the next lap. Then came the moment of panic, rear left puncture. At the same time unfortunately a BMW left the track and the session was to be restarted after the track would be safe again. I went urgently in the pits where a very nice guy from Ukraine helped me with a wheel (used Michelin CUP2 on OZ Ultraleggera). With one slick tyre and a semislick I was again at 1:54, last year's record, when the race was restarted.

Unfortunately the rear was at a lower level of grip now and in the second session I did 1:53.8 and 1:53.9 with the DSG on "false neutral" 50m before the finish line overheated because I tried 2 fast laps consecutively. I was now second in my new class RACE+ behind the 911 turbo who was doing lower and lower times, was now at 1:51.9.

In the superlap session I pushed a bit over the limit ended up off the track on a fast left corner (the semislick tyre was on the right and the slick on the left).
End of the day with second in RACE +, the Turbo did 1:50.8 in superlap. Overall, mega-satisfied, car, result, atmosphere, friends.
I'll come back with pictures, I hope to get some in a few days but first I need to show you how good everything looked after the practice sessions, only the GT3 Cup was faster:

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4808591

Overall mega happy, I'm really pleased how the car drives now, and I still have to adapt. I feel there's more...hope

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:59:21 pm by teo_parvu »

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #253 on: April 24, 2018, 12:11:51 am »
Wow! Great day indeed! Full of events! Good and not so good but that's life. Glad you're happy with the car and had lots of fun! It's fast to be so close to a GT3 Cup! :surprised: :congrats:

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #254 on: April 24, 2018, 05:49:59 am »
 :happy2: Yes it was unbelievably fast, in the practice sessions the Leon was between the 991 GT3 Cup and 991 Turbo S and at the end of the day right behind them. Now, because I've been promoted to the next class, I have to find ways to increase my power and reduce weight. TTE420 sounds good now, too bad I'm out of funds....

On Friday, just before the race, I had the opportunity to get a passenger lap with Simone Tempestini, junior WRC world rally champion and god some good tips.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:05:46 am by teo_parvu »