Make a donation

Author Topic: General track day tips for a noob  (Read 8065 times)

dansmith180

General track day tips for a noob
« on: April 27, 2015, 06:45:02 pm »
As above I've got my first track day on Monday 4th May and I'm after any tips or advice. Tyre pressure, wheel torquing, driving tips, things to look out for etc..? Thanks.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
Re: General track day tips for a noob
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 06:59:01 pm »
Don't crash!

dansmith180

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 07:10:48 pm »
Don't crash!

I knew I would learn some valuable information  :jumping:

Offline PT82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 07:16:54 pm »
Indicate to let faster people past and if your car is faster on straights but slower on corners let them past  :happy2:

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 07:28:16 pm »
Go at your own pace, its not a race.
Make sure you have change the fluid as if your jumping on the brakes hard your likely to boil your fluid.

And Enjoy

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 07:33:19 pm »
Be smooth and progressive, aim for keeping the car balanced rather than stabbing at the thottle and brakes... it's surprising how less powerful cars 'driven properly' can keep up with poorly driven exotic metal, esp. on short circuits.

Whatever you do, have fun!  :happy2:

dansmith180

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 10:03:55 pm »
Indicate to let faster people past and if your car is faster on straights but slower on corners let them past  :happy2:

Go at your own pace, its not a race.
Make sure you have change the fluid as if your jumping on the brakes hard your likely to boil your fluid.

And Enjoy

Be smooth and progressive, aim for keeping the car balanced rather than stabbing at the thottle and brakes... it's surprising how less powerful cars 'driven properly' can keep up with poorly driven exotic metal, esp. on short circuits.

Whatever you do, have fun!  :happy2:

Cheers guys, getting quite excited about it now.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 10:35:55 pm »
Which track are you going to Dan?

I'd been on a few track driving experiences, before I took my own car on circuit - difference is night & day! I've driven Cadwell, Bedford Autodrome, Donington (short & GP circuit). Have been round Silverstone & Thruxton on experience days too..., I thin either Cadwell or Donington are the best circuit I have driven.

My main recommendation is - book tuition! No matter what lines you think are right, or are driving, they will be wrong! A pro can show you a faster line through corners than you think is possible.

Only other tips are as others have said - relax, don't be tempted to race anyone - there's some hardcore stuff at trackdays nowadays - there was a full on Clio Trophy V6 Cup car at my last day  :surprised:. Make sure you take oil, check your tyre pressures, etc.
Make sure you warm the car up and down - don't clamp the handbrake on in the pits after going full bore round - in worse cases it could cause the discs to warp. 

Another observation of mine is - don't be too keen to get on track - let others get it out of their system. I've always noticed it - people seem to go mad as soon as the track goes live - far better to sit on the pit wall, watch people go round and then slot in when the track activity has settled a bit.

Having said that - assuming you are on a track-day with open pit lane rather than sessions?

All said - you'll have a great time!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

dansmith180

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 11:03:18 pm »
@Dave J It's an open pit lane at the Silverstone GP circuit. I've booked a tuition session as like you say there's no doubt I can learn a huge amount. I like the wait a bit idea, makes sense that everyone's raring to go and the first 30mins is probably a bit more chaotic and as people come in for there first stop it'll quiet down and be better for me.

Offline btowery

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 11:49:12 pm »
One thing that frequently gets left off of lists for new track aficionados is the addition of some kind of improved restraint system like Schroth's Quick Fit Pro. There's no better 'first' performance enhancement for a nooby.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 07:06:11 am »
Regarding harness, most OEM seats aren't built for schrott harnesses, a simple solution using the OEM harness is SEAT all the way back, Jerk the seatbelt to get it to lock and keep it locked while moving the SEAT forward thus fixing you better in the SEAT

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 06:25:30 pm »
Keep checking your tyre pressures as they will increase as your tyres get hotter.

Keeping it original..............or not!!

Offline btowery

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 06:36:50 pm »
Actually, the Schroth Quick Fit Pro system works quite well with the GTi OEM seats.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 06:37:12 pm »
Keep checking your tyre pressures as they will increase as your tyres get hotter.

Unless you run on Michelin Pilot super sport, they will have a minimal increase due to the use of twaron instead of steel

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 06:39:39 pm »
Actually, the Schroth Quick Fit Pro system works quite well with the GTi OEM seats.

How so? The seat isn't built to withstand the downwards pressure that will occur due to the mounting points being positioned low in the car, so your spine would be compressed at a crash. Not even the OEM bucket seats are certified to use with a harness, they are only for show